Hello, I currently have Verizon cellphone service with an old Samsung slider phone. A friend told me he has an old Blackberry that he used with Verizon service that he no longer uses, and offered to give it to me.

How would I go about switching to the Blackberry? Do I just switch my SIM card to the Blackberry, or do I have to get Verizon to activate it somehow?

Thanks in advance! I am new to the whole smartphone thing, obviously.
    08-05-13 10:22 AM
    You can toss in the old sim but you need to also change to the blackberry data plan for everything to work right
    Good luck

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 10:23 AM
    It depends on the type of BlackBerry you're going to. Other than BlackBerry 10 devices, no Verizon BlackBerry needs a SIM card unless you're using it outside of the US. The easiest way to make the changeover is to just do it yourself online: log into your Verizon account and change the device from there. It will take you through step by step what you need to do. The whole process generally takes about ten minutes.

It should make the changes you need without any issues, but if it's a legacy BlackBerry, be sure to make sure your account shows a BlackBerry data plan.
    08-05-13 10:27 AM
    Thanks! My friend told me it is possible to activate the Blackberry without getting a data plan - this is what I want to do. I want to use it mostly just for calling/texting, and have access to wifi. i don't know what type of Blackberry it is. Do you think this is possible?
    08-09-13 03:36 PM
    Verizon will not activate ANY post 2008 cellphone without a data plan.
    08-09-13 04:36 PM