Hi folks,

I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer, apologize if duplicate post....

I received a Z10 for my wife who already has a Torch 9800 on Bell Canada. Her SIM card is normal size. I noticed some people cut their SIM cards but I would prefer not to cut the SIM, just in case. Instead I want to get a new micro SIM to replace the old SIM so it works on the Z10. So I had a few simple questions with how to approach Bell Canada *the best way* so that they don't try to pull "a fast one" on us, or charge us extra for changing plans, or service fees, or device-switching fees, or some other made-up garbage. We simply want to replace the SIM with microSIM to use the Z10, but without altering the plan/contract at all.

Question #1: Better over phone or at a Bell store?

Should I call Bell, explain my situation that I have a new device I'd like to use and simply want a replacement micro SIM? Or is it better to walk into a store and just get a new microSIM and tell them to inactivate the old one? If I call Bell, I assume that they send it in the mail and then when I get the micro SIM I just call them and in a few minutes my old SIM is inactive and the new microSIM is active and I'm all done. If I go to the store, I heard that the retailers try to charge you extra service fees or device transfer fees and so on. Does it cost anything to get a new microSIM to replace the old SIM? Will Bell charge additional fees for "switching devices"? Anyone gone through this already? Do they send one of those regular sized SIM's but with the microSIM inside of it (that you can "punch out" if needed because of perforations)?

Should I just lie and say my old phone got damaged and I borrowed my friends phone which uses microSIM so I need a microSIM now? How much would Bell Canada charge to simply inactivate the old SIM and issue me a new microSIM to use in the replacement phone? I heard it was about $5 or so.

Question #2: LTE versus non-LTE?

The Torch 9800 as far as I know is not using LTE nor does our plan have it. I don't want to change plans, I just want to keep using the SAME exact plan just on a different device.... even if not taking full advantage of the Z10's LTE speeds. The plan contract is up in about 1.5 years and I don't want to change anything that may tie us with Bell for any longer. Do I have to explain to Bell that the microSIM has to be for a Z10 (like is there some special type of SIM meant for LTE phones) or will *any* microSIM work from them? Is the LTE feature a function of the SIM card and phone or the data plan type? Should I even worry about this?

Question #3: If we need to use the Torch for backup, can we just stick the microSIM back into it using an adapter?

Just in case, would the new microSIM that we get to work for the Z10 still work in the Torch 9800? For example, if we decide as a backup option or for travel to take the Torch 9800 temporarily, could we stick the microSIM that is in the Z10 back in the Torch9800 using an adapter "tray" and have it work as normal?

Thanks for any help you can provide. I have dealt enough with these carriers that I am worried about unnecessary "inflation" of fees and charges for a simple request. I was hoping someone who has already faced the same issue with Bell Canada could share their story and perhaps what to avoid saying to them, or how best to switch SIM form-factors without complicating things with the plan/contracts.
    03-14-13 01:09 PM
    AT&T gave me a new sim no charge and had to update my account with the new IMEI number.
    03-14-13 01:12 PM
    Thanks, I hope Bell Canada is as smooth and easy as AT&T. I guess nobody here in Canada done the switch yet? Do they play along nicely?
    03-14-13 03:19 PM
    I did this exact switch but only with Telus here in Canada and they did the same thing: gave me a new microsim and just changed the device on my account. It was no problem.
    03-14-13 03:33 PM
    Just find a spot that sells the SIM cards and go online to your Bell account and change your SIM card there. I don't know where you are, but " The Source" would be a good place. We have them available at the local grocery store (SuperStore) , just hanging on a pegboard by the pay as you go phones. I think the LTE SIMS are $10.

I had tried getting a SIM at a Bell store and they need to activate it on a phone in order to sell it. I think there was a fee involved as well.
    03-14-13 03:46 PM
    I'm not a Bell customer, but I can answer #3 for you

Yes, you would be able to use the new (micro)SIM in your 9800--provided you get a micro to regular (aka mini) SIM adapter. MicroSIMs aren't just for LTE use only, because there can be situations/places where an LTE network isn't available.
    03-14-13 03:48 PM
    My wife just called Bell and they told us a new regular SIM would cost $5, but to get the new microSIM they said we need to pay $14.99.

What do you think? It this a fair price or should I chop down our existing SIM?
    03-14-13 03:58 PM
    I think you can just call in and tell them you have purchased a new phone and need a new sim. Bell gave me a new sim for free. If you want to use your new phone right away, you can call Bell then go pick up a sim from a local Bell retail outlet near you. As to whether the new sim will work on your old phone, i don't think it will or else you would not need a new sim to start with.

Be aware that the z10 will probably consume more data than your old bb phone. Other than that I don't think it will be a problem. I hope that helped.

Ps if you want to keep your old phone I would suggest you get a flex data plan or prepaid voice plan.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 04:02 PM
    I went from a Telus 9800 to a Telus Z10. I bought the Z10 from Walmart off contract/full price. Walmart can't activate a corporate account so I drove 1 block to a Telus store and got the Z10 activated. I paid $11.00 for the new SIM.
    Me very happy.
    :>)
    03-14-13 04:08 PM
    I feel the same as the OP. I'm on T-Mobile, and I have a grandfathered unlimited BIS plan that they no longer offer. I'm thinking they will make me pay more for a lesser plan.
    03-14-13 04:09 PM
    I sorry about the incorrect information, apparently it does work.

About the new sim. I think you can negotiate for a free sim if you are a long time customer with Bell. I have never paid for a new sim.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 04:10 PM
    I went from my 9900 to Z10 with bell and they gave me the micro sim for free. They asked if I wanted to change my plan, but I chose to keep the plan I was on. No hassles.
    03-14-13 04:21 PM
    go to the bell store, and tell them you are still using the same phone (blackberry) but tell them you need a new LTE micro sim because they work better up north where there is less coverage. if they ask how you know that just tell them you tried a friends LTE sim up there or something (works 9/10 times) and they wont mess with your plan. tell them specifically NOT to change your plan and just put the number on a different sim. the sim costs 10$ go in store for sure. how i know? i worked for bell/virgin and know some loopholes lol SIDENOTE dont use a micro sim adapter with a micro sim in a torch 9800 it will likely rip the gold pins out when you eventually take it out. happy sim shopping

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk
    03-14-13 04:21 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll call Bell and ask them to send me a microSIM in the mail or arrange for a pick up, hopefully keep costs low. So far everyone seems to be around the FREE to $10 mark which is fair. I mean, $14.99 is not going to kill me but I just wonder why every store and every sales person seems to have a different price. I read somewhere that a person ended up paying close to $40 to change their phone.... New SIM, activation of SIM, device transfer fee, etcetera.... Racking up charges on some customers and not on others. Doesn't seem very fair and transparent, but then again it seems that way even with data plans.... Everyone gets a different price based on how much they argue.
    03-14-13 05:47 PM
    Ebay.ca sells sim cards for les then $2 for bell or telus
    03-14-13 06:03 PM
    Thanks, I see the eBay $2 cards. So how do these get activated? Is there a place in the phone that you can read a serial number for the SIM card (or it is printed on the card itself) and you call Bell with your SIM card number and the IMEI number of your phone and they "pair it" in their database and link to your plan, and that's it?
    03-14-13 07:07 PM
    My wife just called Bell and they told us a new regular SIM would cost $5, but to get the new microSIM they said we need to pay $14.99.

What do you think? It this a fair price or should I chop down our existing SIM?
    I think they are ripping you off. As Rogers gave me mine for free and where I work we deal with all the carriers including bell and not one sim card was charged for all free with the phone

Posted with BlackBerry Z10
    03-14-13 07:14 PM
    Thanks, I see the eBay $2 cards. So how do these get activated? Is there a place in the phone that you can read a serial number for the SIM card (or it is printed on the card itself) and you call Bell with your SIM card number and the IMEI number of your phone and they "pair it" in their database and link to your plan, and that's it?
    It will either be on the SIM itself (the side without the circuitry,) or the card around it from which you break it off (the credit card sized part here.) You'd need to contact Bell and have them activate the SIM on their network. They'll probably have your IMEI number already, especially if it's a phone purchased from them, but it won't hurt to have it handy during the call/store visit.
    03-14-13 07:52 PM
    Thanks, I hope Bell Canada is as smooth and easy as AT&T. I guess nobody here in Canada done the switch yet? Do they play along nicely?
    Yes they should play along nicely. I just did the switch with bell and got the micro sim for 5.99. And don't let them tell u that u need a new plan. Usually on the stores they're pretty good and they don't care if u get a new plan or not but if u call bell that's when they'll try and get u to switch plans and all that fun stuff. Ur upgrading ur phone and ur not interested in changing ur plan. That's what u tell them. But u will consume more data on the Z10 fyi.
    03-14-13 08:37 PM
    I went from my 9900 to Z10 with bell and they gave me the micro sim for free. They asked if I wanted to change my plan, but I chose to keep the plan I was on. No hassles.
    Took the same upgrade path with exactly the same experience. Interesting that Bell doesn't charge a premium for LTE. I wonder if other carriers are the same. Oh, and make sure that the micro SIM they use is one that says "4G LTE" on it.
    03-14-13 09:00 PM
    I am just on the phone with Bell and another person said I can walk into a Bell store or Futureshop or whatever and they range from $5-10. Then I mentioned that many people are telling me they got it free, and so they are checking with technical support. I noticed on their website that there are several free options (if you sign up for even as little as 1 year) they provide a free SIM. But that may be when activating a new device contract.

So the person from Bell said that if I call technical support and tell them my SIM card is corrupted, then they can send you a new one for FREE!

I'm not going to lie for a few bucks.... But if anyone else out there feels like it... Just letting you know how it goes.
    03-15-13 11:52 AM
    I can answer question 2. LTE does not cost extra. I went from a 9900 to a Z10.

Walked into a bell store and they gave me a new sim, and i did not alter my contract in ANY way.

Personally, I like going to the store to do it. It's just faster. But that's because I hate calling them unless I have to

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 02:16 PM
    Ok, I went to the store and got a new 4G LTE micro SIM. They said it cost $5 if I walk out of the store with it "as is"... Or if they switch our phone line to the new SIM card immediately in the store (on their computer) it would be FREE.

I didn't have the Z10 on me, just my old Torch 9800... but I didn't want to pay, so they inactivated the old SIM and moved the number to the new micro SIM. So the phone I had on me phone stopped working. But I was home a few hours later anyways, stuck the new micro SIM in the Z10 and all working again!

I'm just checking online to see if Bell did anything to our plan and looks like all is the same.

I'm glad I went to the store. You are right, the information they give online or over the phone can be very misleading. In conclusion, it should cost about FREE to $5 from a Bell store, $5-10 from any other store. Not the $40+ horror stories you hear... which may be from small independent kiosks in malls that pay their reps purely on commissions or service multiple carriers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    raino likes this.
    03-15-13 04:58 PM