Folks... SOMEBODY STOP ME.

I have posted 4 or 5 messages to sync my 1 month old storm with my beloved thunderbird/lightning. I have had a couple of helpful replies, but it seems the technology is just not there yet. I despise M$ and love the philosophy of OSS. I have been using Thunderbird/Lightning for years and has worked well with my TREO and pop/web mail accounts. However the lack of connections to something other than the archaic yahoo calendar and thunderbird to yahoo calendar/tasks/notes is just too overwhelming. I have lost some efficiency with my work trying to resolve these issues and have decided to give in to the mighty dollar.

I AM SWITCHING BACK TO M$ OUTLOOK 2002. Yes I said it. I can't believe it.

Somebody please give me a reason to not switch. I have searched and searched and searched to no avail. As of this afternoon, I will be starting a new .pst file and syncing my BB Storm to my outlook. UGH. This is purely a business decision which I am kicking and screaming like a little school girl towards. Next search will be OTA stuff for outlook and BB. I may not even need OTA other than email which my BB does do flawlessly.

In conclusion, give me some reasons to NOT switch and/or give me feedback on switching. I love helping information either way. I just want to be as efficient as possible with my BB and my business.

Thanks in advance for your input and advice.

Milbus
    01-21-09 09:11 AM
    I'm a Lightning user also. I will not abandon it for Outlook but I would love to be able to Sync it to my Storm.
    01-21-09 09:24 AM
    Trust me I don't want to. The google cal sync and and setup of gcaldaemon and to keep it local was a bit too many hoops. The lack of connection of mozilla to yahoo a joke. What I really needed was to have Thunderbird Lightning to connect to Yahoo. Then I wouldn't need to go to outlook. Here's why:
    BB syncs all with Yahoo via DM 4.7. Thunderbird does not sync with yahoo calendar/tasks/memo/contacts. BB does not sync to Thunderbird Lighting.
    I would only need a conduit from mozilla (thunderbird/lighting) to get to yahoo calendar/contacts/tasks/memo. Then, BB syncs to Yahoo, thunderbird lightning syncs with yahoo.... Done. OR BB syncs with thunderbird lightning and DONE. It seems I'm only missing 1 piece of the puzzle. I just can't wait 6 months to see it through.
    01-21-09 09:33 AM
    So what exactly are you trying to sync? I was using Outlook forever to sync the normal DM way, but I got tired of firing up the DM all the time. I went looking for a completely automatic OTA sync solution. I found it in our friend Google. You can use Google Sync to sync your BB Calendar and Contacts to a Google account. Then, you can use a Thunderbird extension called Zindus to sync your Google Calendar and Contacts with Thunderbird/Lightning. That's just one solution. GCaldaemon is another solution worth looking into. There are a number of other ways to achieve the same thing, effectively bypassing the Desktop Manager altogether.

But then again, I use Google and Gmail almost exclusively. You use Yahoo. For that you'll have to search for another solution, probably.
    Last edited by AbbaSou; 05-20-09 at 07:13 PM.
    05-20-09 07:11 PM
    I tried to setup using Google Sync as AbbaSou indicated. First problem I faced is that it is not possible to sync the BB calendar to Google Calendar unless, I think, you are on BES. I am on BIS by the way. Any entry in Google calendar syncs to BB, but not vice versa. It is however strange I didn't have any problem with syncing BB contacts to Google.

Zindus can be used for syncing from Google contacts to Thunderbird/Lightning. For syncing Google calendar to Thunderbird/Lightning, "Provider for Google Calendar" extension is also needed.

So, the only problem for me to sync BB calendar to Google. Perhaps it has something to do with "Wireless Syncronization" on BB. However, it is not possible to change it from no to yes. Probably, it is related with BIS.

I would appreciate any help.
    05-21-09 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD