assuming of course your phone is GSM and not CDMA, is this normal for all Blackberry phones? Or is it a carrier thing?

I've noticed that across multiple phones all on Rogers network, whenever I make phone calls the phones switch to GSM during the call, then immediately switch back to H+ or 3g as soon as I end the call.
    04-03-12 04:54 PM
    Rogers is in process of upgrading its network to HSPA+ so maybe running hybrid for a while?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 05:09 PM
    Maybe - just seems unusual in that it only happens during phone calls.

My signal is solid where I live and rarely drops below full reception with H+ connection. As soon as I make a call though after a few minutes it will drop down to GSM. As soon as I disconnect from the call, it almost immediately switches back to edge, and then H+. It acts as though it is purposefully going through the process.
    04-03-12 05:13 PM
    mine does the same thing. really annoying. i don't have any friends on a different network with a BB so im not sure if its rogers or my BB

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CB, Tapatalk app
    04-03-12 06:28 PM
    mine does the same thing. really annoying. i don't have any friends on a different network with a BB so im not sure if its rogers or my BB

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using the CB, Tapatalk app
    I'm thinking its a Rogers network thing. It does it across multiple phones for me and also across multiple operating systems for each phone, so it seems unlikely that it is an issue with a particular phone.
    04-03-12 06:35 PM
    I'm having the same thing with my 9860 on Rogers. where i live and work (Toronto) it always seems to drop down to GSM when in a call. ive also dropped calls when that happens but as soon as the call ends it goes to h+. I hope it is just a network thing and it will change because some of the others can not compete in customer service or service. Hope for a finally push to finish the update. (edit) i have also called to asked about this issue and they havent said anything .
    BB4lyfe

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Crackberry Forum App
    04-03-12 06:53 PM
    I've seen it happen to me in the past few weeks. 9800 on AT&T. After I get off of a call from my wife, the network will say GSM, then quickly change to 3G. Makes me wonder what would happen if I tried to use the internet while on a call now. Not sure what the deal is.
    04-03-12 10:25 PM
    Most definitely a network thing. They're likely trying to save Hspa resources for data. It's probably cheaper to downgrade you to their legacy gsm than to have 2 frequencies, one for R99 3g and another for Hspa. They don't support dtm, so that's why you only get gsm instead of edge.
    04-03-12 10:31 PM
    I'm guessing Roger's HSPA network simply doesn't have enough bandwidth or has high latency, and the phone drops to GSM in order to maintain the call.

Being on Bell...
    Last edited by grahamf; 04-03-12 at 10:39 PM.
    04-03-12 10:37 PM
    I've been thinking about ditching Rogers for years. I've been with them for over 10 years now, and I pretty much despise everything about them. Customer service, awful, prices? Ridiculous, service? Sucks.

For some reason I just keep staying on board though...
    04-04-12 12:06 PM
    I've been thinking about ditching Rogers for years. I've been with them for over 10 years now, and I pretty much despise everything about them. Customer service, awful, prices? Ridiculous, service? Sucks.

For some reason I just keep staying on board though...
    Because, except for a short period once every three years, it's too expensive to switch?
    04-04-12 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD