I have a question about transfering my programs and files from my old blackberry to a new blackberry device. If I get a new 8130 because my previous one is damaged then I can just "clone it" using desk top manager. But what if I buy the new Storm or some other black berry device. What do I do then.
    09-16-08 09:02 AM
    Use the switch Device option with Desktop Manager to transfer everything over to your new BB. It won't matter if it is a different model.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-08 09:12 AM
    thank you
    will it switch over ring tones and themes
    also , if the new device has programs that the old device does not will the new device keep those programs afetr the switch device occurs'
    thanks
    09-16-08 12:02 PM
    thank you
    will it switch over ring tones and themes
    also , if the new device has programs that the old device does not will the new device keep those programs afetr the switch device occurs'
    thanks
    The switch device option switches all your data so there wont be any problem with new devices. The new devices dont have drastic program changes that exclude programs from older devices.
    09-16-08 12:05 PM
    Thanks

So it seems to me that when I use the switch device option, all of the BBM contacts will transfer. But here is the question. What happens to the PIN. Does the new device take on the old devices PIN. I don't think that it does. But lets say that one of my contacts wants to reenter my PIN. If in their address book my PIN shows up as my previous PIN, if they enter this, will the approprate contact be made.
    09-19-08 10:30 AM
    I have the same question as above...for 8310 though.

10-25-08 07:49 PM
    No there is a new PIN, that is specific to the device. You will have to change your PIN in the BIS and BBM.
    10-25-08 08:01 PM
    So after changing it in bbm and bis, we can give out our old pin still? But the phone will retain a different device specific pin?

10-25-08 08:25 PM
    No, each bb has it's own PIN. When you get a new device, you have to change your PIN with each BBM contact. Ex: you get a new phone and I send you a BBM with your old PIN, you won't recieve it. Basically same thing with the BIS, it tries to send an email to a PIN that is no longer in use.
    10-25-08 08:28 PM
    So after changing it in bbm and bis, we can give out our old pin still? But the phone will retain a different device specific pin?
    No. Once you finish with switch device wizard (in DM) and the device switch
    (through BIS) your old PIN will not matter at all.
    10-25-08 08:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD