Switched to iphone6. Used z10 for 2years. Love the z10, but it started to have problems.(very poor battery life, crashing, bootting) BB had no fullscreen device with good specs.
    11-10-14 09:32 AM
    I have come to the conclusion that either my needs as a consumer have changed, blackberry has changed or is changing, or both.

The Z10 I am using to type this is my third blackberry, but is not my favorite. I bought it before the Q10 came out, and I should have waited for it. I never found much need for consumer apps, but the smartphone and business landscapes have changed so much since my first BlackBerry, and I am finding myself missing out on various major services without a BlackBerry App.

I am also finding myself upset with the current push towards enterprise only, leaving consumers like me in the lurch until the company is back on track. I get that, it makes business sense, and I can't change it. The current app stance towards consumers is "use the amazon appstore."

Owning a smartphone, for me is a very different experience than owning a PC. I built my PC and love to tinker with it to get things to work that probably shouldn't be working. When I turn on my phone, I want to be able to quickly access whatever content or messages I have without the need to wait for a sluggish android runtime. I see so many threads about patching Google Play Services out of apps, and frankly I don't have the time or patience for that.

Perhaps the point of this thread, is that I am sad and scared to potentially be leaving blackberry in the near future, as I have never owned an android or ios phone (still won't own an ios phone, I will pick android). If any of you have made the switch away from BB, do you regret it? Do you ever see yourself coming back? I am hoping that when they turn it around all the way, developers will begin to make first party apps for BlackBerry, but I don't see it happening realistically with the recent push towards Amazon/Android being "good enough" for large services, who will not spend the time to code for BlackBerry.

TL;DR Blackberry does not have enough apps, I don't see that changing with the recent Amazon deal, and it's time for me to go to another platform, although I do so with cautious optimism that I can one day return. Anyone have a similar experience?

Posted via CB10
    11-17-14 11:53 AM
    I have come to the conclusion that either my needs as a consumer have changed, blackberry has changed or is changing, or both.

The Z10 I am using to type this is my third blackberry, but is not my favorite. I bought it before the Q10 came out, and I should have waited for it. I never found much need for consumer apps, but the smartphone and business landscapes have changed so much since my first BlackBerry, and I am finding myself missing out on various major services without a BlackBerry App.

I am also finding myself upset with the current push towards enterprise only, leaving consumers like me in the lurch until the company is back on track. I get that, it makes business sense, and I can't change it. The current app stance towards consumers is "use the amazon appstore."

Owning a smartphone, for me is a very different experience than owning a PC. I built my PC and love to tinker with it to get things to work that probably shouldn't be working. When I turn on my phone, I want to be able to quickly access whatever content or messages I have without the need to wait for a sluggish android runtime. I see so many threads about patching Google Play Services out of apps, and frankly I don't have the time or patience for that.

Perhaps the point of this thread, is that I am sad and scared to potentially be leaving blackberry in the near future, as I have never owned an android or ios phone (still won't own an ios phone, I will pick android). If any of you have made the switch away from BB, do you regret it? Do you ever see yourself coming back? I am hoping that when they turn it around all the way, developers will begin to make first party apps for BlackBerry, but I don't see it happening realistically with the recent push towards Amazon/Android being "good enough" for large services, who will not spend the time to code for BlackBerry.

TL;DR Blackberry does not have enough apps, I don't see that changing with the recent Amazon deal, and it's time for me to go to another platform, although I do so with cautious optimism that I can one day return. Anyone have a similar experience?

Posted via CB10
    I totally understand where you're coming from. Although my first choice in smartphones is BlackBerry, I consider myself platform agnostic. I enjoy tinkering with all kinds of gadgets, regardless of brand or platform, and whenever someone asks me "which one is the best" I respond with "it depends on what you want in a smartphone".

The reason I stick with BlackBerry is simple: they're the only OEM who engineers security, privacy, and productivity into their products and services from the ground up. iOS, Android, and even Windows Phone are just now realizing that security might be important and implementing some features here and there, but they are obviously an afterthought. I try to take as much responsibility and control as I can over my security and privacy, and I've found the other platforms to be woefully inadequate in that regard.

The only thing I can tell you is that if you are sad and scared at the thought of leaving BlackBerry, then don't. I'm optimistic about their future. Chen has righted the ship, and while they must focus on enterprise at least until they can return to consistent profitability, non-enterprise users like you and me can still benefit from what their devices have to offer.

The app situation is a tough nut to crack, for sure, but I find that the Android runtime mostly fills the gap for me there. It's not a perfect solution, as you alluded to. And native app development may very well suffer because of their focus on the Amazon Appstore. But native app development was pretty sorry to begin with. Partnering with Amazon to bring the Amazon Appstore to the platform really was the only short-term solution that made sense.

My hope is that the Android runtime will continue to improve to the point where it can drive a near-native Android app experience - and I think that is one of their main focuses right now.

If you do choose to jump ship, I don't blame you. Each platform has its unique strengths and weaknesses. I've tried them all and I just keep coming back to BlackBerry.
    11-17-14 02:11 PM
    I am also thinking about switching away from BB; The Q10 double type issue has gotten so bad that I can't really function without frustration from stoppages.

Currently I'm looking at the Nokia Lumia line, prefereably the 830. The question becomes am I (we) as consumer(s) require:

i, all in one type of device that does everything quite well
    ii, several devices that does everything exceptionally well

I could get the z30(or new upcoming BB device) and have a multitasking, communication powerhouse, then carry my digi cam for photos (or old Nokia 808), and then tablet for media consumption.
    Or
    I could get a capable smartphone that can do all, except for the multitasking and being a fantastic communicator in the Nokia 830.

And then when I think about the Nokia 830, it does so many things well, but then comparing the spec's it's at least a year older than the Sony Z3 compact, the LG G3, Galaxy S4/LTD Alpha - all of which, are the same price as the Nokia 830. So it feels like I'll be getting less for the price.

If only I had gotten my Q10 keyboard fixed months ago, or if BB would hurry up and release another all touch device, then my mind would rest a bit easier.
    11-23-14 11:59 PM
    Switching to the moto DROID turbo. A Verizon customer, and they don't seem to be giving BlackBerry any more love, so I'm out

Posted via CB10
    11-24-14 12:03 AM
    Hey guys,

So lately I've been extremely disappointed with my Z10. I don't like the fact that it is often laggy, I don't like the fact that I can only temporarily fix that by reinstalling/updating the OS. I don't like the fact that it lacks apps that I could use every day on the go such as HSBC mobile banking (don't say the Android port is any good). I don't like the fact that is has no themes. I don't like the fact that it has a 720p display and the screen itself is more prone to fingerprints than any other phone's screen.

The Z10 is really getting to me, despite being a BlackBerry user since the age of 12. (I'm now 17). Can anyone recommend a phone that's actually lag-free or does that not exist in 2014? Hell, it's nearly 2015. Why can't our mobile operating systems be as good as Windows is on PCs? (Windows 7, that is).

So, would anyone recommend a new phone? No, I'm not trolling. Yes, I'm tired of this phone. Everyone who thinks this phone is perfect is lying to themselves. I'm interested in productivity, not BlackBerry. Being able to at least check my balance kinda falls into that. :P

Sadly, the HTC One and the OnePlus One both don't have removable batteries Also, the BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard is still a great limitation compared to a physical keyboard.
    11-29-14 01:20 PM
    Maybe an S5 with a custom ROM?
    11-29-14 01:26 PM
    my bank has an android app that works on my passport. By the sounds of it, you'd never be satisfied with one platform. Just do what I do, buy all of them. I have a note 3, passport, today I'm getting a Lumia 930 and tomorrow an iphone 5 just for giggles.
    11-29-14 01:34 PM
    On another thought, I have merged you with a leaving bb thread, many good suggestions here.

Hey guys,

So lately I've been extremely disappointed with my Z10. I don't like the fact that it is often laggy, I don't like the fact that I can only temporarily fix that by reinstalling/updating the OS. I don't like the fact that it lacks apps that I could use every day on the go such as HSBC mobile banking (don't say the Android port is any good). I don't like the fact that is has no themes. I don't like the fact that it has a 720p display and the screen itself is more prone to fingerprints than any other phone's screen.

The Z10 is really getting to me, despite being a BlackBerry user since the age of 12. (I'm now 17). Can anyone recommend a phone that's actually lag-free or does that not exist in 2014? Hell, it's nearly 2015. Why can't our mobile operating systems be as good as Windows is on PCs? (Windows 7, that is).

So, would anyone recommend a new phone? No, I'm not trolling. Yes, I'm tired of this phone. Everyone who thinks this phone is perfect is lying to themselves. I'm interested in productivity, not BlackBerry. Being able to at least check my balance kinda falls into that. :P

Sadly, the HTC One and the OnePlus One both don't have removable batteries Also, the BlackBerry 10 virtual keyboard is still a great limitation compared to a physical keyboard.
    11-29-14 01:37 PM
    So I traded my Z30 for and HTC one and had it for 1 month and went back to verizon and repurchased another Z30. I cannot explain it but could not adapt to an Android device. I should have known since I also have an Asus android tablet and it sits there collecting dust. Leave BlackBerry and you will miss it. Trust me I know.

Posted via CB10
    11-29-14 01:49 PM
    Peace out Z30! I'm switching back to an iPhone.

I've had a Blackberry Z30 for six months and I'm fed up. Since the price dropped on the iPhone 5s (with Verizon), I'm switching back. Here are some of my frustrations with the BB Z30:

- Occasionally incoming phone calls won't ring
    - The screen is quirky - often expanding while just navigating through screens or playing games
    - Call reception issues, dropped calls (I never had this problem with my 4s)
    - Internet browser is occasionally unresponsive when clicking links
    - The Hub occassional blacks out or becomes unresponsive
    - Pocket dials - dialed 911 twice!
    - Lack of apps (I so miss my MotionX GPS on my iphone)

I am missing some other pet peeves that I can't recall at the moment but the first three items are troublesome. I'm not trying to totally disregard the Z30 because when it works it's an outstanding phone. However, these occassional hit and misses are driving me nuts. I never had these problems with my 4s. I hope the 5s will bring me equally good success.

I will truly miss the BB Hub and the ease of use and convenience of the overall phone. Nonetheless, I can't tolerate the inconsistencies.
    I Agree:
    I had the same problem with the Q10.
    Incoming calls sometimes do won't ring.
    But people in Crackberry don't believe it, they say it was in the silent mode, which it was not.
    12-02-14 10:20 AM
    i am buying iphone 6 plus to replace my HTC.
    Coachbulldog and techvisor like this.
    12-03-14 07:52 AM
    After 6 years with BlackBerry I'm going to try an iPhone. Any ideas how to transfer data from my Z10 to an iPhone?

1 thing I'll miss is the z10's awesome keyboard

Z10
    Coachbulldog, techvisor and Tabdus like this.
    12-03-14 09:15 PM
    Hey guys,

Well, as someone who has a OnePlus One (or recently had a OPO since I sold it today), I can say that while it doesn't have a removable battery, the battery life was very, very good. I use BB as my primary phone but I keep an Android phone as well and while I was using a Nexus 5 for a long while (last November until September), after selling it, I tried the Sony Z3 and the OPO. With everything set up similar to how I did on the N5, the OPO would last me about three days under light usage or about three times longer than the N5 (I would have to charge the N5 daily). Even though I think the battery life with the Z3 is supposed to be better than the OPO, I think I found the OPO better.

The downside with the OPO is that it is a real lottery getting one with no issues (I actually had 'zero' issues getting an invite as both times I tried I had one in under 30 minutes). Mine had the yellow band at the bottom and some intermittent touchscreen issues and I get the sense a bit that this is par for the course in that it exists to a certain degree with all OPOs but to which degree varies and also that it comes down to if their users notice it (as it may not bother some depending on how they use their phones).

Anyways, all phones from any manufacturer can have issues but where the norm might be say 1% or less, I think it is fair to say that with the OPO you are closer to 5-10% (if not more) judging by the thousands of posts on the OPO forums from people with issues. Of course that still leaves a lot of people happy with their phone but it is much more of a hit or miss risk than with other manufacturers.

For Canadians, the final cost of the phone (due to the exchange rate and taxes due on delivery) make it a much higher risk (that $350 phone goes up to $500-ish). Still, I'd like to try one again if there was a way I could be sure I'd get one with no issues as it was a pretty nice device. I liked it much better than the Z3 (much nicer feel and the OS implementation was nicer), much better than the Galaxy S5 (still too many things I don't like about Samsung's phone), and of course nice than the Nexus 5 (more storage, better battery). I didn't try a HTC One M8 since the M9 will be out in 3-4 months so I didn't want to buy a new phone outright that will be so quickly replaced. The Moto X (while I love the feel of their phones) just had too bad of a battery life. The Nexus 6 is just too overpriced for what you get.

The qualms about the Z10 being a bit laggy are understandable. I picked up the Z10 I sold to my friend and found it quite slow compared to my Z30 for many of the same tasks which was driving me crazy (of course my friend didn't know how slow it was because they had nothing to compare it to). And I'm even finding the Z30 a bit slow now for certain things compared to the OPO. That, I think, is one of the main things I liked about the Passport because the quad-core really made it snappy but I ended up selling it as I wasn't hooked on the form factor. I'm of the opinion now I will never buy another BB again unless it is quad-core because while it may not be 'needed' to run apps, it definitely runs them faster and once you start using faster phones, it's hard to go back to slower ones. If there is another sale on the Passport, I may try it again just because I much prefer how my daily tasks are done on BB over Android.

But as I'm 'Android-less' right now, I'm not sure what I'll get to replace the OPO... maybe wait another couple of months to see if people are still having issues and hope the exchange rate goes down. Also the version 2 should be announced next year and, while the OPO is a nice phone, it could still use some improvement (brighter screen as it is too hard to see in daylight and much brighter capacitive buttons to start).
    anon(6038817) likes this.
    12-05-14 06:12 AM
    I had to say goodbye to my Z10.

My daughter drop my z10 and it hit the floor with the lower corner, at first it doesnt had any issues, but the battery started heating a lot and the phone started restarting the same way, i installed different OS 10.2.1, 10.3 and 10.3.1 to see if it was a software problem, but it didnt get fixed. So it was hardware problem. Since i dont have any guarantee left i had to change to another phone, and i dont have the money now to get a BB z30 or a PP or a Classic. So i find a good opportunity with a brand new Motorola Moto G Ferrari Edition for only USD$100, from a friend of mine. its a Good mid range phone, no problems at all. I love the 2017 mAh battery that gives me more than a day of usage. I will be using this phone while i can buy another BB, hoping to get a PP later.

Take care. See you around...

Coachbulldog likes this.
    12-07-14 01:10 PM
    I had to say goodbye to my Z10.

My daughter drop my z10 and it hit the floor with the lower corner, at first it doesnt had any issues, but the battery started heating a lot and the phone started restarting the same way, i installed different OS 10.2.1, 10.3 and 10.3.1 to see if it was a software problem, but it didnt get fixed. So it was hardware problem. Since i dont have any guarantee left i had to change to another phone, and i dont have the money now to get a BB z30 or a PP or a Classic. So i find a good opportunity with a brand new Motorola Moto G Ferrari Edition for only USD$100, from a friend of mine. its a Good mid range phone, no problems at all. I love the 2017 mAh battery that gives me more than a day of usage. I will be using this phone while i can buy another BB, hoping to get a PP later.

Take care. See you around...

The Moto G is actually a very good phone for the price. Good luck!
    12-07-14 03:38 PM
    it was common problem, i also experienced the same.
    12-11-14 07:29 AM
    yes exactly, i also feel the same.
    12-15-14 08:11 AM
    Nice idea, Hoped it worked.
    12-17-14 07:26 AM
    I ordered a Motorola Droid Turbo 64GB today - I'll get it Wednesday. I've been with BlackBerry since 2009, when I chose a Storm2 over the original Droid. Also had a Torch, a PlayBook and have been using a Z10 for the past 19 months. I've had 2 Android tablets in the same time, so I am familiar with both platforms and their strengths and weaknesses. I already know I am going to miss the Hub and the gesture navigation. There's so much to like about BB10. But 2 things are making me finally move away:

1. They don't make a device I want to buy right now. 99% of smartphones sold are full-touch, but BlackBerry has chosen to ignore this market this year, and there's no indication of anything new coming soon. Keyboards are important, but there is virtually 0 chance of increasing your customer base if you don't offer the type of device most people want to buy. The Z30 is a year old and has 2-year-old hardware. The Droid Turbo is everything I wish BlackBerry would offer hardware-wise, and they need something like it yesterday.

2. I've been able to deal with the limited app ecosystem. There are some great native apps, and I've been able to supplement nearly everything I need with Android apps from Amazon and Snap. But BlackBerry's decision to basically abandon the consumer market hurts. They have killed movie and music downloads, which was an incredibly short-sighted move in my opinion. They've abandoned games and Scoreloop. They gutted the developer relations staff and killed off developer rewards. There hasn't been a major new native consumer-oriented app in forever. Many of the ones we have (CBS Sports, Team Stream, MTV News, Accuweather) are not being updated and don't work properly on 10.3, or are being pulled altogether (NHL, Typic, ABC Player).

Many Android apps work, but they don't work smoothly, even on 10.3.1. If you think BB10 runs Android apps as well as an Android device, you've never used an Android device. And as more of them are updated to support Android Wear or require other Google Play services, fewer and fewer work on BB10, and so are stuck with old versions and miss out on new features. Relying on Android apps is just not a sustainable strategy long term. And you cannot rely on Snap and sideloading to be a real solution for the vast majority of consumer users.

So, thanks for 5 great years, BlackBerry. I wish them all the best and hope they succeed. I don't know if I'll ever be back...they need to start paying attention to consumers again before I do. I'm not sure it will ever happen, but I'll always hold out hope.
    1000% exactly!!!! Thank you. Been on the iPhone 5s now for a few weeks. What a world of difference. Yes I miss the hub and super fast email. But the apps work well and beautifully. No lagging apps. No more clunky Spotify. I realized when I was in a subway and needed to use google maps (native) or fandango movie tickets that blackberry just can't cut it anymore. In the old days solid email and phone and keyboard was enough. Now u need that great app ecosystem. Did you know how many companies are signing up for apple pay? Bb is just too small. Great OS for sure. But just too small to be taken seriously anymore. Sad day.
    12-17-14 09:10 AM
    I'm to the point that, this time around, I need to leave bb10 because Chen is rightfully focusing on enterprise, but that leaves me out in the cold, and if all im doing is running android apps, then I should be on Android to begin with.

That said, hopefully in 2017 I come running back to BlackBerry, and I hope I can do so, and if Chen can push forward and make BB grow in popularity and support, then I will gladly come back, because I want to.

For those who switched to Android, what gives the closest BB10 experience on an Android phone, HTC One (M8 will be M9) ot Samsung GS V(or VI when it comes out)?
    01-02-15 10:29 PM
    I'm to the point that, this time around, I need to leave bb10 because Chen is rightfully focusing on enterprise, but that leaves me out in the cold, and if all im doing is running android apps, then I should be on Android to begin with.

That said, hopefully in 2017 I come running back to BlackBerry, and I hope I can do so, and if Chen can push forward and make BB grow in popularity and support, then I will gladly come back, because I want to.

For those who switched to Android, what gives the closest BB10 experience on an Android phone, HTC One (M8 will be M9) ot Samsung GS V(or VI when it comes out)?
    I switched to the Droid Turbo from my Z30. I think the Z30 is a great phone, but BB never seemed to even try to sell the thing, and apparently tried to kill off the CDMA version early. Yeah, the version for the only carrier (in the US) that even bothered to carry it.

I'm also irritated at the direction they are going by seemingly focusing on physical keyboard phones at the expense of the excellent work done on the all touch devices. Not to mention gutting out BB World by focusing on bringing in the Amazon app store. Seems to me that even Android people turn their nose up to the Amazon app store, but this is BB's work around for loyal BB enthusiasts.

I hope it works out for BB in the end, but they are really getting away from what I want in a smartphone. Too bad, because I really miss the outstanding keyboard. I don't care what anyone says, the BB10 keyboard is vastly superior to any physical keyboard and any keyboard on Android for that matter. I do like the Swype feature on the Android keyboards, however. I just wish I wasn't forced to use it to get any accuracy. I also miss the Hub and the gesture based navigation. I'm still trying to swipe up from the bottom to exit tasks, LOL.

I now use all the Google stuff I could not use on BB and, so far, I find it all pretty cool. I do see the privacy and security problems (not even talking about corporate type stuff, but small everyday type stuff) that a security focused company like BB would have in allowing this Google stuff on their devices, but there's gotta be some kind of middle ground for some kind of creative partnership to get some of this stuff on BB devices. Since they now have their "prosumer" aimed devices out and they seemingly have turned their noses up to full-screen devices, maybe they allow those devices to be more "consumer" oriented with a slightly less security focus and make some kind of deal with Google on future BB full-screen devices.
    snejpa likes this.
    01-03-15 01:30 AM

The closest "BB 10" thing you can do on android is to use nova launcher and set the swipe up gesture to open email, at least you have that feel of swiping.
    01-03-15 11:51 AM
    My BB10 is in the hospital so I have to use a cheap hundred-dollar android. I'm still painfully slow on glass typing, just waiting for swift key to assist me most of the time. This is my first phonedroid and used and I must say the OS is not as buggy as I thought it was. I encountered some instance where I need to reinstall an app if it becomes buggy and that's about it. And my Pebble is really happy right now, being able to last for days. But I really miss my keyboard. I hope there's a Classic sized android out there with PKB.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-07-15 08:34 PM
    With BB going towards business and away from consumer they have left me with no where to go after my Z30. Never seen a Passport in any store here in UK so have gone for the ip 6 plus. Still have BB for work and love my Playbook. Not going to do a comparison coz they are too different to do that but getting used to it now and enjoying the things it's better at and missing the things it isn't. My point is that BB has given me no choice and that will be the same for many BB owners. Shame but it's only a phone after all.
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    01-11-15 07:01 AM
3,266 ... 9596979899 ...