ex-9900 user here. Just switched to the Nexus 5 and while I'm amazed at how blazingly fast the phone is and how crystal clear the phone is, it's such a huge disappointment software-wise.

I honestly thought BB software was something fundamental and was readily available across the board on the platforms.

Firstly, message hub. Ever since my 9000, it was great having all my messages in one area, whether it's BBM, Facebook, MSN, SMS, Email, anything and everything in one convenient place. With android, once you remove the notification, you have to go searching for the message. You have one of each type of message? Enjoy sifting through 6 different apps.

Secondly, no good universal search like the 9900. It is difficult to remember exactly how a conversation went with a buddy over SMS or email 6 months ago. No worries, you were talking about a Porsche? Do a quick search on Porsche and all results pop up in a matter of seconds from your contact history. I haven't yet found a way to do that on my Android phone. I'd assume there's a way, but there's no native app that is as thorough and as precise as the BB search.

Thirdly, notification LED. I probably haven't tinkered and played around with it enough yet, but I never really had to do anything to change the LED on the BB. The quick sharp red blink every 3 seconds was perfect. There seems to be less customization available for the Nexus right off the bat.

Customization of all sorts: Navigating through the BB was so simple. Well, there's a search function and the appropriate app opens up for you. Navigating through Android is not so simple - I've always been somewhat tech-savvy and been able to navigate around the PC and phones pretty well. I mean, it's pretty much all trial and error anyways more or less. Yet I haven't found a way to list all my files like the BB does, nor is the native media player on the Android as good as the BB media player. I'm slightly tired from setting up my phone and from a long day of work, but I haven't been able to figure out how to even change my ringtone to a custom mp3 file yet. Took me about 3 seconds to figure that out how on my BB.

Small nit-picking features here and there: my 9900 has a volume up, volume down, and pause button. Hold down the volume up or down buttons and they either skip or go back in your playlist. My Nexus has just the volume up or down, and holding down the buttons will quickly either increase or decrease the volume. My 9900 holster securely holds the phone while exposing the headphone jack and media keys. I haven't been able to find any holster for my Nexus. Only generic ones from China that cover the entire phone.

Simply put: BB has so many features on their phones that you never think of, but realize how great they are to have when you start using it. It was difficult to buy a z10 for $400 new or a z30 at a premium price for hardware that isn't exactly anything special. Perhaps after a couple weeks, I'll get used to the horribly inefficient navigation system of the Android, but after using the ridiculously sharp screen (445 PPI) and how damn quick this phone is, I don't think I can go back to my 9900. I'll attribute my night of struggling to fatigue, but I don't expect much of a difference tomorrow lol.

I do like the availability of apps and I'll definitely enjoy the turn-by-turn navigation GPS availability. But I may have to consider coming back to BB in the future, even if it's a dying breed.

If anyone has any tips in terms of the transition, I'm all ears also, any other BB -> Android users agree with what I'm saying at all?
    I'm sure there are ways to resolve your problems on Android. It is a great platform. Good luck and I'm sure you will get used to the navigation and the search on Android. Thanks anyway as these are the things I love about my BB 9900 too :-)
    11-23-13 09:40 PM
    For example, the camera is just not high quality. (Look at this website and compare the Z30 with other comparable phones. Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com). As well, the PPI is quite low compared to other phones at the same level.
    I had seen the difference from your link and it blew my mind. I put the Q10 as the third comparison and it gave me a photo just as good quality as the Note3. It was only different in MP. That is really odd considering the Z30 and Q10 have the exact same camera. So this comparison is flawed. It must be if the Q10 has a better result than the Z30 with the exact same hardware and software. As for PPI, that has to do with being 720p and battery performance. If you enjoy your media on a big screen than the Note line is probably what you wanted all along. Cheers to having more choice.
    Geeoff likes this.
    11-23-13 10:34 PM
    May I ask, did you look at LG G2 and what made you pass?
    I did look at the LG G2 and also the Sony Z1 before settling on the Note 3. I don't remember exactly why I settled on the Note 3, but I do remember at one time I thought about the G2 quite seriously.

There are comments that the G2 has funny buttons at the back. Well, for myself, with the Note 3 I have to be very careful to *not* accidentally hit the power button on the side, especially when I'm putting the phone in my pocket. So the new power button on the G2 might be a good thing.

I think I also appreciate the slightly larger screen real estate on the Note 3, and a few extra gimmicks.

Sorry I don't have a good answer for you. I think that high end smart phones are getting close to being commodities with very few differences between them.
    11-25-13 07:46 AM
    For finger typing, the z30 is the best touchscreen keyboard I have ever used. Find it much easier to type on than the z10 due to the extra size.

But on android, I use Swype as I can input words faster than I can finger typing. I bought swiftkey but never use it as I prefer Swype's keyboard layout since it gives me faster access to some keys that I use more.

The worst keyboard I have tried is Google's own keyboard. It is the first thing I disable setting up an android phone or tablet. Funny thing is, whenever I see a person using an android phone, they are usually using the stock keyboard. Don't know why people won't try a third party one.

For exchange services, I have since disabled push and that he's fixed my battery drain. Interval is 5 minutes so not that bad. Hopefully it gets fixed soon though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Gotta disagree with you on that note. I personally love the new Google key board (not the black and blue one). Built-in swype and good spacing between letters.

Sent from my LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
    11-25-13 10:15 AM
    Gotta disagree with you on that note. I personally love the new Google key board (not the black and blue one). Built-in swype and good spacing between letters.
    I have the Note 3 and I must say that I am very, very pleased with the keyboard.

A big screen means the keys are widely spaced. There are five different types of input (straight typing, straight typing with word suggestions, swiping words, stylus hand-writing on screen, and voice dictation) so you can find one that works for you.

This is the way that smart phones are right now. I think that most other manufacturers have surpassed Blackberries, except on security. That is the one solid moat that Blackberry still retains.
    Greenghost likes this.
    11-25-13 04:43 PM
    Well, I never thought I would switch from BlackBerry, but I did about 3 weeks ago. Here's why.
    I gotta agree with most of what you said. In terms of turn-by-turn navigation, I think the native Android GPS app (is it even an app?) is far superior over BB Traffic. Not sure why Tom Tom is so expensive and the need for it?

In terms of everything else, especially regarding browsing and whatnot, let's be honest here, our BBs were crappy. Period. I think to have a fair comparison, we would have to compare the S4 (or my N5) to the Z30. Performance and hardware-wise, the Androids would likely still fare better (pathetic BB....) but software-wise, user-interface, the overall experience? I think it'd be a tough call...but I think I'd opt for the BB just because of the software and the overall user-experience...
    Donvald likes this.
    11-26-13 12:24 PM
    I just picked up LG G2, amazing device but I am still eying Z30, hopefully will receive it soon.
    I am not blown away by androids latest version so far, sure it is great but still, as OS it is not that much better than BB10.
    As device, functionality and stuff LG added to this device, it is amazing.

Sent from my LG-D800
    11-27-13 01:27 PM
    I have the Note 3 and I must say that I am very, very pleased with the keyboard.

A big screen means the keys are widely spaced. There are five different types of input (straight typing, straight typing with word suggestions, swiping words, stylus hand-writing on screen, and voice dictation) so you can find one that works for you.

This is the way that smart phones are right now. I think that most other manufacturers have surpassed Blackberries, except on security. That is the one solid moat that Blackberry still retains.
    That's the best part of Android there are still hundreds of different keyboards still in the play store. So if the default one doesn't suit u its plenty to choose from.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
    11-29-13 12:33 AM
    Finally going back from my Z10 to my 4S, and then 5S at christmas
    Coachbulldog likes this.
    12-02-13 10:25 PM
    That's the best part of Android there are still hundreds of different keyboards still in the play store. So if the default one doesn't suit u its plenty to choose from.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n Ohio Austin IL)
    Non as good as BB10 keyboard.

Sent from my LG-D800
    phylez likes this.
    12-02-13 11:35 PM
    Which is not as good as the Q10 keyboard

Posted via CB10
    12-03-13 09:34 PM
    The wife and I both jumped ship Blackberry yesterday.
    She went with the Note 3 and I the Lumia 1020.
    12-04-13 10:26 AM
    The wife and I both jumped ship Blackberry yesterday.
    She went with the Note 3 and I the Lumia 1020.
    I hope you enjoy your new devices.

Posted from my Z30 via CB10
    Morty2264 and Stick Legs like this.
    12-04-13 10:28 AM
    I have been using LG G2, I am still considering going back to Blackberry, I am just trying to gather information on which apps that I use on G2 will run on Z30... Android is a whole another world, actually, but I see BB is getting there.
    Geeoff and phylez like this.
    12-04-13 11:20 AM
    To all those who have jumped ship and didn't really know what they were getting into with regards to iOS and/or Android, please share your experiences for those of us who are long time BlackBerry users still on the BB10 fence.

For me BB10 doesn't feel like the BlackBerry I used to know. It's still like learning/using a completely different brand. I'm trying to figure out if I go from BB10 (currently using a Q10) to Android (very limited experience with) or iOS (familiar with) or going back to my trusty, albeit very slow, 9900.

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 10:19 PM
    I have had BB's for years, starting with a Curve 8510, then i had Both versions of the Storm, than a Torch 9850. I just got my new Q10 last week, and i am loving it. I never thought i would go back to a QWERTY phone, since i loved typing on a touch screen, but i am LOVING the Q.
    k3cub and Morty2264 like this.
    12-06-13 09:09 AM
    I jumped ship as many of us did. I went android and the galaxy s3. I loved the available apps but didn't like the phone at all even though using swype worked well for me. I am now back using a Z30 and I think that if any of us that did the same and gave the z30 a chance they would be amazed..i am back and here to stay

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 10:44 AM
    Non as good as BB10 keyboard.

Sent from my LG-D800
    Swift key ftw.

12-08-13 03:33 PM
    Swift key ftw.

Close, but not there.

Sent from my LG-D800
    12-08-13 05:00 PM
    I finally got fed up and decided to switch my phone. The random reboot in the middle of a phone interview sealed it for me. I still have the Z10 but until BB gets their act together, I'll be using the HTC One. In the end, there were just too many bugs and inconveniences on the Z10 to see it as more than an imperfect toy I like to mess around with. I was using 10.2.1.1055 at the end and while some of the new features were neat but they weren't enough to keep me on BB10.

I'll still be installing leaks on the Z10 (if another one ever shows up) but, for now, it will be tucked away in a desk drawer.
    12-13-13 02:26 PM
    I finally got fed up and decided to switch my phone. The random reboot in the middle of a phone interview sealed it for me. I still have the Z10 but until BB gets their act together, I'll be using the HTC One. In the end, there were just too many bugs and inconveniences on the Z10 to see it as more than an imperfect toy I like to mess around with. I was using 10.2.1.1055 at the end and while some of the new features were neat but they weren't enough to keep me on BB10.

I'll still be installing leaks on the Z10 (if another one ever shows up) but, for now, it will be tucked away in a desk drawer.
    You were running a leaked OS and you're blaming BB? I don't get it.
    12-13-13 10:28 PM
    Been using a Nexus 5 since release. It's been a great device thus far. Camera software needs some work though. What I miss the most on my Z10 is the hub...everything is scattered around on Android. But the speed and screen of this N5 blows it away. The BB10 keyboard is also really nice. Each have their pros and cons...if BB had the app support I'd probably stuck around. But my Z10 has been wiped and I'm giving it to my mom so it's staying in the family which is good.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-13-13 11:38 PM
    Also bought a Nexus 7...it's just slightly better than my Playbook lol no comparison there. Runs circles around it unfortunately...

12-13-13 11:44 PM
    Also bought a Nexus 7...it's just slightly better than my Playbook lol no comparison there. Runs circles around it unfortunately...

Speakers? Gestures? Ad free youtube without root? Amazing build quality? HDMI? BB Bridge?
    Sure, nexus has a lot apps but imagine if playbook had a better OS! Or BB10.
    Playbook is still an amazing device hardware wise.

Sent from my LG-D800
    12-13-13 11:46 PM
    Speakers? Gestures? Ad free youtube without root? Amazing build quality? HDMI? BB Bridge?
    Sure, nexus has a lot apps but imagine if playbook had a better OS! Or BB10.
    Playbook is still an amazing device hardware wise.

Sent from my LG-D800
    Yes speakers are better on the Playbook. Gestures are slow as crap coming from a Z10. I put their build qualities at the same level but the Nexus is much sleeker and easier to handle. I never used HDMI once on it..Nexus supports USB OTG and runs XBMC which is pretty sweet. Yeah it's unfortunate BB10 never came to the Playbook...it could have been a much better device.

12-13-13 11:58 PM
3,266 ... 8384858687 ...