I have been a bb user for 2 years(8100,8320,8900,and 8520). I tried android (MT3G) but it wasn't for me. I went back to BB but was still bored. I've always wanted an iPhone so now I have an iPhone and I LOVE it. I don't see myself ever going to back to a BB again.

Posted from My iPhone at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 10:01 AM
    I just had to have an iPhone... loved my BB though...
    07-21-10 04:22 PM
    i love my iphone, but the e-mail service on the blackberry is top notch. im here waiting for the emails on my iphone4 to load... while reminiscing about the great times I had emailing with my bb......

everything else on the iphone4 kills bb IMO... maybe OS6 changes a few of those things.
    07-22-10 09:59 AM
    just ordered a Droid X ... I love my Blackberry (9700) and defended it a lot but its time to move on with the times. BB is falling off imo and I want something thats fun and exciting, I want to be able to surf the web too
    07-22-10 04:06 PM
    I don't really want to, but... After fighting issues with syncing to keep Exchange contacts and calendar up to date through BIS using Astrasync, I'm ready to give up and move on. I like the Bold 9000, having bought it when it first appeared at AT&T, and really like the OS and the keyboard. For my use which is email intensive the Bold is hard to beat for ease of use. Too bad Blackberry doesn't get on board with Activesync like all the rest. I know they want to support BES but what about all of us out there who's company doesn't support it. The new OS 6.0 and some native ability to sync with Exchange would make me commit for life. And, yes I also tried Goolesync and Notifysync, etc., but nothing works as smooth and reliably as Activesync. C'mon BB, give the rest of us something to work with here so we can stay. I've got to believe you could win over many others as well.
    07-22-10 04:45 PM
    I am currently with verizon and started with an lg env2 which was my first qwerty keyboard and I though it was amazing. Around the time it broke I had everyone around me in the midst of the blackberry craze so I tried one out liked it and got the curve (8330 I think? maybe?) Just as I got it a couple days later the tour came out so I quickly turned in the curve and got the tour. Which was absolutely amazing to me until these past couple of months I've been messing with android devices, particuarly the moto droid x and htc incredible.

One thing I should note here before I go any farther is that I am a everyday user and not a business user so what wows me on android devices may not for other bb users.

The web browser is blazingly fast, the screen, camera, and video recorder are leapyears ahead of the blackberry offerings, and the user interface on android devices seems to be so much more fluid

To sum it all up I am going to wait till the end of the year, if blackberry does not have an offering better than the newly leaked "storm 3" and everything else they have on the market, I will be jumping ship to an android device, probably the droid x. I have no preference over physical keyboard or virtual, as long as I get my qwerty fix in.
    Just to update this. I actually jumped ship early, verizon sent me an e-mail allowing me to upgrade my equipment three months early to any smartphone, so I just put my order in for a droid x and should have it in a couple of weeks. My tour will become my backup. Goodbye RIM.
    07-24-10 12:06 AM
    I don't really want to, but... After fighting issues with syncing to keep Exchange contacts and calendar up to date through BIS using Astrasync, I'm ready to give up and move on. I like the Bold 9000, having bought it when it first appeared at AT&T, and really like the OS and the keyboard. For my use which is email intensive the Bold is hard to beat for ease of use. Too bad Blackberry doesn't get on board with Activesync like all the rest. I know they want to support BES but what about all of us out there who's company doesn't support it. The new OS 6.0 and some native ability to sync with Exchange would make me commit for life. And, yes I also tried Goolesync and Notifysync, etc., but nothing works as smooth and reliably as Activesync. C'mon BB, give the rest of us something to work with here so we can stay. I've got to believe you could win over many others as well.
    After you've ran your new Droid through its paces, chime back in and give your opinion. Let us know if you still think you've made I wise choice or if you regret switching. Good Luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-10 12:12 AM
    Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

After just over a year of BlackBerry ownership, I got a call on an early upgrade opportunity.

I chomped on the bait and my Android will be here in around a week (give or take scheduled ship date is a week from today)

Following it's arrival, I will post a full comparison between the two platforms for those teetering on the BBOS6/Android fulcrum.

For reference, the major beefs that I have with the Blackberry are the horrid browsing (slow and frequent hangs/crashes on content-rich sites) and the frequent OS slowdowns despite daily resets.

The original plan was to stick it out for another year and see where RIM went with their OS on the Storm2, however Verizon tipped the scales.

And for the record, my Android of choice is the HTC Incredible. I chose it over the Motorola Droid X because the Motorola product features an encrypted boot loader and a as-of-yet-untripped failsafe to prevent the loading of non-Moto OS's/ROMs.

Back to lurking until the new handset arrives and following that, a very long review of both.
    07-26-10 09:40 AM

After just over a year of BlackBerry ownership, I got a call on an early upgrade opportunity.

I chomped on the bait and my Android will be here in around a week (give or take scheduled ship date is a week from today)

Following it's arrival, I will post a full comparison between the two platforms for those teetering on the BBOS6/Android fulcrum.

For reference, the major beefs that I have with the Blackberry are the horrid browsing (slow and frequent hangs/crashes on content-rich sites) and the frequent OS slowdowns despite daily resets.

The original plan was to stick it out for another year and see where RIM went with their OS on the Storm2, however Verizon tipped the scales.

And for the record, my Android of choice is the HTC Incredible. I chose it over the Motorola Droid X because the Motorola product features an encrypted boot loader and a as-of-yet-untripped failsafe to prevent the loading of non-Moto OS's/ROMs.

Back to lurking until the new handset arrives and following that, a very long review of both.
    Good luck with the Incredible...look forward to your comparison.

07-26-10 10:28 AM
    Well, it's been awhile since I've frequented these forums, as I've been a Storm1 user since it's inception back in November of 2008, and an 8703e before that. Now, my NE2 is available, so I decided to have a look at what VZW has to offer.

In my brief amount of research, it appears the Droid X is quite the phone. Also, I recall hearing something from one of the reviewers that the new BB, due out sometime later this year, "will blow away everything currently on the market" - however - I'm wondering what that might be - Storm 4? In any case, that's quite the statement for RIM, and being a 4 year BB user, I hope it's true.

However, for now, looking into the alternatives (i.e. Storm2) and the Droid X - I have to make the move to the new Droid X since BB doesn't really have anything new. The online direct comparisons on speed seem to be quite the selling point for browsing, but I'm concerned about e-mail capability, as I have 10 accounts currently pushing out to my storm.

In any case, I'm a little disappointed that RIM hasn't come out with anything to combat the Droid/I-Pods, but need to make the move from BB back to Motorola.
    07-27-10 12:52 PM
    In any case, I'm a little disappointed that RIM hasn't come out with anything to combat the Droid/I-Pods, but need to make the move from BB back to Motorola.
    Good things come to those that wait

07-27-10 05:52 PM

I thought they cracked the bootloader on the droid x nearly a week ago. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    07-27-10 11:37 PM
    When living in Asia where SMS rules, I was rocking my beloved Blackberry Bold 9000. I was a BB poster boy, but 2 things were eating at the very core of my soul.

1. I loved the games on my iPod Touch (because I like to have fun too, and games just aren't quite there, for decent prices on BB.

2. I *HATE* the Blackberry Bold 9700. I am sorry, but I just love that nice, meaty form factor of my beloved 9000. The 9700 is just a cuvre to me. I still feel this way, but....

I have returned to the USA after 3 years in Asia. My Bold was unlocked, but I had an opportunity to get a new phone from AT&T for free (either the 9700 or iPhone). I was sick of carrying two devices all the time, and decided to give iPhone a try (saw too many of them in Singapore and Taiwan, and just decided to do it, especially since I was frustrated with BB). I got the iPhone 3Gs 32GB in Feb 2010 (I had no idea the iPhone 4 was coming, as I never kept up with iPhone news).

The iPhone and I were a great match actually. I love all about it, but of course frustrated from trying to type on it, when coming from the sweet keyboard of the 9000. I intentionally stayed away from Crackberry.com out of guilt and seeing all those new BB devices (and yet satisfied to know none were the size of my 9000).

Now that I have an iPad, I find i have the unique position of not doing as many things on my iPhone, leaving it for mostly for SMS (aka. texting) and other text related activity, which iPhones simply can't compete again BlackBerry. Additionally most of my friends are in Asia, and we constantly sms/iM/text-based communications. Then recently 2 of my best friends had the nerve (THE NERVE) to get blackberries, meaning we could have had free BBM instead of international SMS rates! WTF!

I see my beloved Bold 9000 sitting in its iSkin gathering dust, while I'm constantly backspacing to fix typos on the iPhone. I hate the phone reception on iPhone too, where I constantly get "i can barely understand you" And remembering the glory days where I was a text-god using the 9000.

BUT part of my brain simply refuses to get anything smaller than the 9000. I have 2 questions, since I've been away for BB for the last few months:

1. Is there any new BB that has a form factor like the 9000, or should I just get that out of my mind and accept that form factor is gone for good? Why not use my unlocked 9000? because I want a good camera, which is something i found i happen to use a lot in my iPhone.

2. Is there any new BB with a built in radio? I hated not having a radio in my 9000, and I hate it in iPhone too. Worse, iPhone does have the FM receiver, but it is intentionally dormant! (frustrating!!!!). Yes, I know of Pandora, and that I can sync itunes. I want an FM radio, that simple.

a 3rd question:

If you were me, and moving back to Blackberry (which is a VERY real possibility), which phone would you get, coming from the once mighty 9000?
    Last edited by RodneyJ725; 07-29-10 at 08:03 AM.
    07-29-10 07:59 AM
    When living in Asia where SMS rules, I was rocking my beloved Blackberry Bold 9000. I was a BB poster boy, but 2 things were eating at the very core of my soul.

1. I loved the games on my iPod Touch (because I like to have fun too, and games just aren't quite there, for decent prices on BB.

2. I *HATE* the Blackberry Bold 9700. I am sorry, but I just love that nice, meaty form factor of my beloved 9000. The 9700 is just a cuvre to me. I still feel this way, but....

I have returned to the USA after 3 years in Asia. My Bold was unlocked, but I had an opportunity to get a new phone from AT&T for free (either the 9700 or iPhone). I was sick of carrying two devices all the time, and decided to give iPhone a try (saw too many of them in Singapore and Taiwan, and just decided to do it, especially since I was frustrated with BB). I got the iPhone 3Gs 32GB in Feb 2010 (I had no idea the iPhone 4 was coming, as I never kept up with iPhone news).

The iPhone and I were a great match actually. I love all about it, but of course frustrated from trying to type on it, when coming from the sweet keyboard of the 9000. I intentionally stayed away from Crackberry.com out of guilt and seeing all those new BB devices (and yet satisfied to know none were the size of my 9000).

Now that I have an iPad, I find i have the unique position of not doing as many things on my iPhone, leaving it for mostly for SMS (aka. texting) and other text related activity, which iPhones simply can't compete again BlackBerry. Additionally most of my friends are in Asia, and we constantly sms/iM/text-based communications. Then recently 2 of my best friends had the nerve (THE NERVE) to get blackberries, meaning we could have had free BBM instead of international SMS rates! WTF!

I see my beloved Bold 9000 sitting in its iSkin gathering dust, while I'm constantly backspacing to fix typos on the iPhone. I hate the phone reception on iPhone too, where I constantly get "i can barely understand you" And remembering the glory days where I was a text-god using the 9000.

BUT part of my brain simply refuses to get anything smaller than the 9000. I have 2 questions, since I've been away for BB for the last few months:

1. Is there any new BB that has a form factor like the 9000, or should I just get that out of my mind and accept that form factor is gone for good? Why not use my unlocked 9000? because I want a good camera, which is something i found i happen to use a lot in my iPhone.

2. Is there any new BB with a built in radio? I hated not having a radio in my 9000, and I hate it in iPhone too. Worse, iPhone does have the FM receiver, but it is intentionally dormant! (frustrating!!!!). Yes, I know of Pandora, and that I can sync itunes. I want an FM radio, that simple.

a 3rd question:

If you were me, and moving back to Blackberry (which is a VERY real possibility), which phone would you get, coming from the once mighty 9000?
    Well I'm still on my Bold 9000. My indoor pics come out a little grainy without the right amount of lighting, but I get complements on my outdoor pics. I'm waiting (as long as it comes out in a timely manner) on the new 9800. Gonna take it for a test drive to see if its worth it. If it doesn't step up Blackberry's game, then I might jump ship.

07-29-10 08:27 AM
    Well I'm still on my Bold 9000. My indoor pics come out a little grainy without the right amount of lighting, but I get complements on my outdoor pics. I'm waiting (as long as it comes out in a timely manner) on the new 9800. Gonna take it for a test drive to see if its worth it. If it doesn't step up Blackberry's game, then I might jump ship.

I'm thinking of the same: Going back to my Bold 9000 (hoping the battery still works, as it has been dead for about 4 months now) and wait for the 9800 and seeing what it is like. I'm just wondering what type of iSkin-like case would the 9800 have, given it pops out a keyboard.
    07-29-10 10:56 AM
    I had an 8330m from sprint and switched to a palm pixi, nice phone but was to small for my hands so I traded it for a curve 8530! I miss the webOS from palm tho

07-29-10 04:39 PM

a 3rd question:

On the Touch, I listen to actual stations that have apps, so depending on your choice of music, your favorite station may have an app that will play music all the time. Hot 107.9, Hot 101.9, 101.9 WTMX, and Air 1 are some examples. I got these a long time ago, but they played all the time back then, so I assume they play all the time now. I also used Iheartradio and Pandora. On the BB, you can use the old moodio.fm, which is now yourmuze.fm, to listen to most radio channels. Iheartradio is also good to listen to for radio. With yourmuze.fm via liveatc.net, you can listen to air traffic control, so that gives you an idea of the range of listening options you have with yourmuze.fm.

I think your experience with the Ipad raises an interesting outlook on whether changing smartphone platforms is desirable if you decide to go with the other platform's tablet. If you're changing platforms because you want certain features you can't get on your current phone, and you intend to get a tablet at some point, you may be better off staying with your current smartphone and just get the tablet. Or, do you get your Android or Iphone and pickup a Blackberry tablet when it comes available to do your BBM and BB stuff? This tablet device may add some excitement to future smartphone upgrade decisions.
    07-31-10 02:09 PM
    My NE2 is up in a few days and I want to get a Droid X. I love the big screen, and with my larger fingers, I find I can type on it very well.

But, I have a question for those going to an Android phone...

I use Outlook on a POP3 account. BB does a nice job of connecting, but it seems that Android forces you to use a GMAIL mail system and somehow syncing the POP3 with Gmail, then pushing it to the device. I can't believe that that is the only way to do it. So, all you Crackberry users,
    how will you deal with Outlook email?

Thanks,

Bob
    08-01-10 09:31 AM
    My contract is up in November and I want to stay with Verizon so an iPhone is out of the question. Currently using the Blackberry Storm and while I want to like this phone so bad (Looks and feel I enjoy). I just cannot get over the poor memory management and lack of ability to run very many apps for all the crashes, lockups and battery pulls that I must deal with all too often... That and the fact that I am sure the OS6 wont work on Storm1 because of low mem...

My wife just got an upgrade and dropped her pearl for a Samsung w/Android OS. The phone I could do without, but the Android OS and choice of apps is great. So with all that said, I am going to make the jump to the Droid X. I like to use my phone as my mobile media device as well and the extra large screen will be great with TV and movies while on the go. I wont be too far away from BB though, since I will still be carrying the curve for work...

I hope the OS6 is as good as it looks for everyone else sticking with BB.

Later,
    CMG
    08-03-10 11:24 AM
    Sorry Mods

Ive been a Crackberry User Since i purchased a Tour a Couple of Days after It Released

(And I'm a huge contributor to the Wallpaper Thread)

Since that time I've had 4 Tours Due to Faulty Trackballs

I strolled into the Themes Sections a couple of Months ago, and i became hooked

I had 32 Themes on My Tour at One Time

Then my wife asked me why do you have so many themes on your phone?

I didn't know, i figured i wanted something more than what the BB was offering straight out of the box

So Last Night i purchased Frozen Yogurt Theme by Vince

And after playing with it, i decided to go to Sprint and play with an EVO

Boy i was blown away by this phone

The screen is amazing

This thing is superfast

After leaving the store i felt like i'm ready to take the Nestea Plunge

I felt bad for the Sprint Salesmen though

Everyone in the store was there to play with the EVO's

And they had none to sell

So basically they sat back and said "just wait in line to play with it"

Hopefully i will have my EVO in the next 2-3 weeks

When i get it i will post a semi review of the Phone

My Tour was everything to me, but they're just not keeping up with the competitors

A Slider?

That seemed to be the last straw for me

I asked myself at Sprint, whats coming down the pipe for CDMA from Blackberry for me?

A Refresh Tour?

A Slider in 2011?

Oh well

I was just blown away by that phone and just wanted to let you guys know

I will still bump around here in the forums

But from here on out consider me another Blackberry Defection
    08-04-10 07:50 PM
    my contract end date couldn't come soon enough (end of this year). i cannot wait to move to android!
    08-05-10 09:44 AM
    i think it's kind of pathetic that BB deserters are forced into a single thread. that and other things (which i won't mention, because i'll probably be censored) have me disillusioned with Crackberry.com as well as RIM. i'm a pretty tolerant guy, but i think this fan website may be slowly sinking on the same boat as the device it loves so dearly.

anyhow, i started a new thread which deviated from the accepted mythology. it went like this:

my 9630 has been a disappointment since i got it a year ago. the build quality is dodgy... with unaligned seams, a loose battery cover, a flash lens that has completely filled with dust, a flimsy screen that distorts with button presses, a sticky trackball.

the processing power is lacking, apps often freeze up, the browser is dodgy, the whole phone often locks up and requires a reboot that usually takes 8 minutes or more.

granted, i love push email and i LOVE bbm... those are the things that have kept me (and many others) attached to BB and RIM for so long. but they're just not enough anymore.

and with what i see as the big letdown of OS6 as well as capitulating to AT&T's app demands, i think RIM is only going to continue to lose marketshare, doomed to the same fate of PALM.

i'm going to ride out my contract and/or the life of my Tour, and then make the leap to either Android or iOS... which have taken up the mantle of innovation that RIM has clearly lost.

sorry, had to rant.

see you on the flipside Crackberriers... i'm outta here.
    08-05-10 12:28 PM
    i think it's kind of pathetic that BB deserters are forced into a single thread. that and other things (which i won't mention, because i'll probably be censored) have me disillusioned with Crackberry.com as well as RIM. i'm a pretty tolerant guy, but i think this fan website may be slowly sinking on the same boat as the device it loves so dearly.

anyhow, i started a new thread which deviated from the accepted mythology. it went like this:

my 9630 has been a disappointment since i got it a year ago. the build quality is dodgy... with unaligned seams, a loose battery cover, a flash lens that has completely filled with dust, a flimsy screen that distorts with button presses, a sticky trackball.

the processing power is lacking, apps often freeze up, the browser is dodgy, the whole phone often locks up and requires a reboot that usually takes 8 minutes or more.

granted, i love push email and i LOVE bbm... those are the things that have kept me (and many others) attached to BB and RIM for so long. but they're just not enough anymore.

and with what i see as the big letdown of OS6 as well as capitulating to AT&T's app demands, i think RIM is only going to continue to lose marketshare, doomed to the same fate of PALM.

i'm going to ride out my contract and/or the life of my Tour, and then make the leap to either Android or iOS... which have taken up the mantle of innovation that RIM has clearly lost.

sorry, had to rant.

see you on the flipside Crackberriers... i'm outta here.

I agree, bro. You like how they shepherd all of the not-happy-BB users into one thread? It's dumb. I don't care why people are leaving their Storm, Curve, etc. I wanna read about people leaving their Tours, as that's the phone I have, and I like reading similar horror stories to mine. By stuffing all of the "haters" into one thread, it's almost as if we're being shunned.

I LOVE how BlackBerry fanboys TRASH Apple and Android fanboys, but I've not seen such a hostile fangroup yet that compares to those here at CrackBerry.com. At TiPb, the writers don't trash BlackBerries, yet the writers here take every opportunity to trash the iPhone... if that's the best way you can defend your outdated device, I feel sorry for you.

Come April, I'm going Apple, whether it involves leaving VZW or not. I'm sick of the poor CS from Verizon, I'm sick of getting a new phone every few months because the trackball stops spinning, or the screen is distorted, or the phone they SEND ME has a broken trackball.... ugh. I'll stick Verizon if they get the iPhone, but that's the only saving grace. BlackBerries are out of the question.

My favorite thing, though, was my recent trip to a VZW store to get my Tour replaced yet again, and the rep spent forty five minutes telling me why an Android device is better than a BlackBerry. Haha.
    08-05-10 05:08 PM
    This was a very though decision for me to make but I have decided to switch over to the iPhone 4. I have always found it to be very intresting and I also liked it's design. Plus had Bell Mobility started selling the iPhone in July 2009 which was the same month I had purchased my Tour I would have considered getting it back then. I also looked the differences between a BlackBerry and an iPhone but I have tested them out at the Apple Store and I can get use to the touch screen, plus I like the fact they have more apps I can use then what is offered on BlackBerry App World. However my Tour will still be in my family because I am going to give it to my dad since he wants to swtich from his BlackBerry World Edition, so for him the Tour will be an upgrade.
    08-07-10 09:44 AM
    How about people who switched TO the BB from something else? In the past few months we've gone through them all. iPhone not possible - it has to be a PHONE first and AT&T coverage stinks. Android is useless if you travel between time zones - all of the calendar entries shift - which was a deal killer for us. We really liked the Palm Pre Plus and WebOS, but the phone won't voice dial (may have been fixed by now) and battery life was questionable. The BlackBerry choices may not be sexy, but they WORK. 'Nuff said.
    08-09-10 02:29 PM
3,266 ... 2324252627 ...