My buddy just bought a Tour for personal use and has a Curve through his work. He is not on BES but rather BIS on his Curve. He bought it on Ebay so he wouldnt have to sign for a contract. Can he use his Tour in place of his Curve for work by calling VZW and switching over the info without issue?
    Or does his company have to authorize this? He is hoping to switch back and forth without having a major problem each time. I'm not sure if it's possible so i figured I would ask the experts.....VZW cs gave little help
    11-18-09 10:05 AM
    if its not BES, he shouldnt have any problem. you dont have to call each time, you can switch phones from the verizon site. it has to be a verizon tour with a good ESN for it to work.

he'll have to manually go into his BIS and switch the PIN to the new device each time to switch the emails over..
    11-18-09 11:46 AM
    Yeah, this won't be a problem but it is a pain. The reason being you have to reestablish pins to the BIS systems everytime you switch devices. If you don't want to receive emails, bbms, surf the web then it won't be painful.
    Imagine that you have to register the pin everytime and send the service books and all that good stuff. If he doesn't care then everything is cool
    11-18-09 11:48 AM
    can you use a sprint tour because they are FACTORY unlocked or am I way off here. sorry new to forum.
    11-18-09 11:50 AM
    can you use a sprint tour because they are FACTORY unlocked or am I way off here. sorry new to forum.
    nope, verizon will only activate phones that have a verizon ESN, and vice versa with sprint. they are factory unlocked to be used on international GSM networks, not domestic CDMA networks.
    11-18-09 11:57 AM
    if its not BES, he shouldnt have any problem. you dont have to call each time, you can switch phones from the verizon site. it has to be a verizon tour with a good ESN for it to work.

he'll have to manually go into his BIS and switch the PIN to the new device each time to switch the emails over..
    Thanks for the info Kev. the ESN appears to be legit on the Tour he says. So he doesnt need company permission to switch because he's not on BES correct? He can just log into VZW site and that will port the phone number but he will have to log into BIS to change the email? Or is it one in the same?
    I appreciate the info, he's been driving me nuts all day...lol
    11-18-09 12:31 PM
    Yeah, this won't be a problem but it is a pain. The reason being you have to reestablish pins to the BIS systems everytime you switch devices. If you don't want to receive emails, bbms, surf the web then it won't be painful.
    Imagine that you have to register the pin everytime and send the service books and all that good stuff. If he doesn't care then everything is cool
    That will be his problem..haha. I am just doing the guy a favor getting the info he needs. He is scared to death that his company will get bent due to him not using the phone he was issued. To me, it doesn't sound like a big deal.
    Thanks for the input, good info
    11-18-09 12:35 PM
    no permission needed if not on BES(if work email goes through his own BIS hes good to go).
    11-18-09 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD