In the coming weeks I may be buying a legacy device for a story I'm working on. But this raises a bit of a concern - I haven't owned a legacy device since 2012. My contract was last renewed with a BB10 device. So, I'm fairly certain my plan does not include BIS at the moment. As such, I'm wondering if I'd be able to get BIS back. I know the carriers have to pay BlackBerry a fee for it, so would my carrier (Telus) be willing to restore BIS to my account while I use the device? And would switching back and forth between a legacy and non-legacy device work just fine? I've heard at least a few users on this forum go back to old devices, so I'm wondering what your experience is like.

Also, in the worst-case scenario (no BIS), is there something I can do to still get most of the data functionality?
    10-18-14 11:00 PM
    TELUS still has BIS plans but ya, you'll likely have to change from whatever you have now. Best to call TELUS and ask really.
    Laura Knotek and LazyEvul like this.
    10-19-14 12:19 AM
    Don't know how it works on Telus, but carriers around here usually offer BIS as an optional package for your contract, so you can simply book it in addition to your existing plan.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    10-19-14 02:58 AM
    Rogers still has BIS plan and is a separate plan for legacy Berrys.
    10-19-14 05:57 AM
    Message belfastdispatcher
    10-19-14 06:55 AM
    You might want to try to use it without telling Telus. I suspect your account will have BIS provisioned already.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-14 07:16 AM
    Why not go for prepaid service ?

Get a new Sim activate it and add the BIS plan online.

I believe Telus offers it for $20.
    ( Fido $ 15. )
    10-19-14 07:29 AM
    Don't know how it works on Telus, but carriers around here usually offer BIS as an optional package for your contract, so you can simply book it in addition to your existing plan.

Hopefully not double-typed with my Q10
    There was never really such a distinction around here - with the exception of "social" plans that limited you to certain social networks, you'd usually get an identical data plan that was just labelled for BlackBerrys.

You might want to try to use it without telling Telus. I suspect your account will have BIS provisioned already.

Posted via CB10
    That'll probably be my first course of action, but it's been a while (renewed my contract on Z10 launch day, haven't owned a BBOS device since) and I've changed plans midway through my current contract as well, so I don't have my hopes up.

Why not go for prepaid service ?

Get a new Sim activate it and add the BIS plan online.

I believe Telus offers it for $20.
    ( Fido $ 15. )
    If Telus can't offer me something similar to my current plan with BIS, this will probably be my backup plan. But I'm hoping to be able to use it as my primary phone for a little while, so I'd prefer to have my regular number and plan on there if at all possible.
    10-19-14 10:57 AM