It really depends on the way you intend to use it. The Torch line of phones really is more multimedia focused whereas the 99XX is a work centred phone.
    Normally I find your insight worth reading but on this one I have to ask
    what are you talking about?

While the Torch may be better for multimedia it is in no way whatsoever
    a lesser business device nor do I think that there has ever been such
    a demarcation between the two devices.

Is there something that a 99xx business user can do that I, also a
    business user, am unable to do with a 9810? Something they can
    do easier? Better?
    06-25-12 10:02 PM

do easier? Better?

well typing on the 9900 is "easier/better" than the 9810,
    also the 9900 fits nicer in the shirt breast pocket than the 9810 does

THOUGH I did perfectly fine handling my business with the 9800 before the 9900 came out, so really the form factor doesn't really change what you can do, it just is a preference.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    06-25-12 10:08 PM

well typing on the 9900 is "easier/better" than the 9810,
    Subjective.

also the 9900 fits nicer in the shirt breast pocket than the 9810 does
    I never do this, so there
    06-25-12 10:13 PM

do easier? Better?
    Aside from NFC it wasn't that you couldn't do things with one over the other, its the ease and execution. For example, you can watch Youtube Videos on the 9900. Very easily in fact. But with the Torch line the larger screens are simply better for this purpose as they are larger. Additionally, with the Torch line you get a proper Auto-Focus camera not the somewhat lacking 9900 camera.

In terms of use, whether its the slider or the all touch Torch, there is no way you can say its as easy to respond to emails with them as it is with the Bold line of phones. The fixed physical keyboard has a distinct advantage as its always there at the ready. The touch screen doesn't have enough spacing and the slider physical keyboard is comparatively cramped as well. Both work well enough and I am sure there are very happy owners out there for both models but each phone has clear advantages because of where it was targeted. So I stand by my statement.

And note, I never said one phone was lesser than the other.
    06-25-12 10:33 PM
    Subjective.

I never do this, so there
    Psshh, who does? Oh wait...
    06-25-12 10:36 PM
    Aside from NFC it wasn't that you couldn't do things with one over the other, its the ease and execution. For example, you can watch Youtube Videos on the 9900. Very easily in fact. But with the Torch line the larger screens are simply better for this purpose as they are larger. Additionally, with the Torch line you get a proper Auto-Focus camera not the somewhat lacking 9900 camera.

In terms of use, whether its the slider or the all touch Torch, there is no way you can say its as easy to respond to emails with them as it is with the Bold line of phones. The fixed physical keyboard has a distinct advantage as its always there at the ready. The touch screen doesn't have enough spacing and the slider physical keyboard is comparatively cramped as well. Both work well enough and I am sure there are very happy owners out there for both models but each phone has clear advantages because of where it was targeted. So I stand by my statement.

And note, I never said one phone was lesser than the other.
    My point was they are equally suited for business. I do not believe the
    99xx was designed as a business-centric device and the 9810 was not.

As to the ease of use issue this is purely subjective. I have tried both and
    find the 9810 infinitely easier for typing and personally find the 99xx
    keyboard the least comfortable of the two. I never recommend either
    to anyone. I instead opt to advise them to try them both and settle
    for what is best for their needs.

I didn't think you said one was lesser, I was addressing the implication
    that the 9810 was "less" geared towards business use.
    06-25-12 11:01 PM
    I had (have) both, but the 9810 is back in its box. Just love the 9900's keyboard too much. And the display isn't that much smaller than the 9810.
    Plus, isn't the display on the Bold actually wider than the 9810? I know it certainly is wider than my 9850. But then I think the 9810 is not quite as narrow.
    06-26-12 12:11 AM
    Plus, isn't the display on the Bold actually wider than the 9810? I know it certainly is wider than my 9850. But then I think the 9810 is not quite as narrow.
    Yes it is, in portrait orientation. Which is where I guess I'm in the minority ... when I had the 9800 and 9810, I almost always browsed in landscape, because I found it naturally easier to view web pages that way. Browsing in portrait mode was just too small for my aging, far-sighted eyeballs. Unfortunately that made typing on a web page a bit of a p.i.a. having to constantly switch orientations. One reason why I greatly prefer the 9900. Also THE reason why I would kill for a BB landscape slider.
    06-26-12 09:13 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD