I know there are other threads on this, but none really get to the point I'm trying for here. I've been hunting for a new phone for quite a while now, to no avail. I've always loved the Blackberry hardware, nothing is better in my opinion, but never really got into the OS.

So I'm here to ask, what benefits would I have if I switched to a Blackberry Bold 9700 over say, a Nexus One or iPhone? I'm not worried about the games, more about messaging, social networking, and productivity. Oh, and web browsing, of course.
    Am I going to feel deprived from a lack of app support? Will the lack of a touch screen destroy my experience? Looking for advice from those who've made the switch

Thanks guys.
    01-27-11 03:48 PM
    I know there are other threads on this, but none really get to the point I'm trying for here. I've been hunting for a new phone for quite a while now, to no avail. I've always loved the Blackberry hardware, nothing is better in my opinion, but never really got into the OS.

So I'm here to ask, what benefits would I have if I switched to a Blackberry Bold 9700 over say, a Nexus One or iPhone? I'm not worried about the games, more about messaging, social networking, and productivity. Oh, and web browsing, of course.
    Am I going to feel deprived from a lack of app support? Will the lack of a touch screen destroy my experience? Looking for advice from those who've made the switch

Thanks guys.
    You will be disappointed.

If web browsing is a priority even OS6 devices are not great.
    They are not terrible, but not great.

I used my Blackberry Tour (9630) from the day it launched till the day the Torch launched, I never wished it was a touch screen, in fact the only time I use touch screen on my torch is to zoom pictures or sort through pictures, so IMO the lack of a touch screen isn't a major issue.

Blackberry is a great tool for email except poor HTML support so if you receive a lot of HTML emails again you'll be disappointed

I love my Blackberry's they do my needs perfectly which are

Email - Prodimiantely txt based
    Txting
    IMing ( BBM mainly some MSN mixed in)
    VoiceNotes
    phone calls
    time management.
    Web browsing falls very low on my needs.
    01-27-11 04:26 PM
    The speed between OS6 devices rendering web pages and other platforms can be measured in seconds. Its not the fastest but if you have the patience the web browsing portion won't be a problem IMO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-11 05:02 PM
    Really good point Red...that's how sad it is that people harp on the browser over and over...when it is a several seconds or so behind...productivity out the flippin' window, lol!

So if you can have minimal patience, sounds like the berry life is for you OP.

Great battery on candy bar style phones.
    Awesome keyboard, shouldn't take long to get use to either.
    Push email, I can care less if I get full HTML on emails...they are instant, which is nice.
    IMO, best looking phones around...

Good luck!

01-27-11 06:08 PM
    Am I going to feel deprived from a lack of app support? Will the lack of a touch screen destroy my experience? Looking for advice from those who've made the switch Thanks guys.
    I think the Torch is for you by the devices you out lined. 9700, touchscreen and iphone. I think the next operation in this equation is figureing out if there's apps on the iphone that you can't get on the blackberrys you can't live without. If tje 9700 is a possiblilty and iphone the torch is right in the middle. I'm going to push for the Torch cause even though its running the same processor it has 2ce the ram and 4gb onboard storage. Unlike the iphone you have the keyboard and trackpad if the touchscreen is to much of a pita. Jmho

01-27-11 06:25 PM
    The voice to search and voice to text are very nice and convenient features if you do a lot of texting and web browsing. The voice to text is very accurate and is perfect for replying to a text when you are behind the wheel. These are standard features of the Droid X.

01-27-11 07:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD