Evening ladies and gentlemen.

I'm in a bit of a pickle... Once again that itch is getting to me... The itch to try something new again.

A little phone-history:

In 2008, I jumped on the iPhone 3G when it was released here in Denmark. 6 months later, I got a Blackberry Bold 9000. What a brilliant little phone, I still recall using it fondly, as one of the best I've ever used. This was followed by an iPhone 4S when it was released, then a Samsung Galaxy S2, an iPhone 5, a Galaxy S3, iPhone 5S, Note 3 and now iPhone 6 plus 64gb & Lumia 930 that I switch between.

Right, smartphone history out of the way. I'm considering switching... To the Blackberry Classic. Partly because I want to experience another OS, partly because of the fond memories of the Bold I had way back. And mainly because the iOS and Android offerings out there bore me.

My usage is fairly generic... I do quite a bit of texting, emails and phonecalls daily. I'd like a few apps as well of course, and the list consisting of must-have apps is:

Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Other than that, I'd like possibilities of SnapChat and perhaps a few other Android apps side loaded.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I'll lack any specific apps as such, when looking at the above.

I'm aware that my 6 Plus most likely has better battery life, than a Blackberry Classic, but that's a non-issue for me, as long as I can get through a day on a charge. I'm by no means a heavy user, so I think that'd be ok.

I think that's it, really... My question to you is:

Am I crazy for considering the change? Should I stick to my iPhone, or get the Blackberry Classic?
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    02-16-15 01:38 PM
    Not really. I have the Blackberry Classic and coming from a Blackberry Z30 and honestly I prefer the Classic.

Apps wise you have igrann and inst10 fully functional 3rd party instagram apps as well as the android version which works as native (no lags with the latest instagram version) with the ability to adjust the screen the way you want.

Facebook and Twitter are available on BlackBerry world.

As for the battery life it does serve me hardly a day but I am a very heavy user and 8 hours is very good on my standards. So I think since you are not a heavy user it can last you a couple of hours more than me (so 10-12 hours seems logic)

Other than that you are having a very nice device with impressive materials and ergonomics and a lovely screen and oh... the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 01:44 PM
    I wouldn't recommend the Classic to anyone that planned to keep it for an extended time - as the app situation is still kinda volatile. But with your changing devices so frequently, if something happens and you lost access to an app it wouldn't really be a long term issue for you. So give it a try...
    02-16-15 01:47 PM
    To be honest, my main goal is to simplify my "mobile life". I want to pull back on apps, and use it more for pure text, mail and phonecalls.

As of last week, I deleted all apps other than twitter, facebook, instagram and snapchat... and snapchat is hardly used.

I have an iPad that I use for the mobile experience IF I need it... So that's something I do purposefully.

So the Classic still seems like the right one for me... Simplicity of use, the wellknown feeling of the Blackberry, and the physical keyboard.
    02-16-15 03:24 PM
    Why not use what you have? Buying a new smartphone every few months isn't going to improve your quality of life.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 03:34 PM
    Why not use what you have? Buying a new smartphone every few months isn't going to improve your quality of life.

Posted via CB10
    Well... Partly because I enjoy the change. It's a hobby for me.

And I'm drawn to the Blackberry... In Denmark, Blackberrys are absolutely not the norm in any way. I want something different, something to be used more "just as a phone", to avoid the mass distractions.

And finally, again, the physical keyboard. Have never gotten used to typing fast on a virtual keyboard, no matter which phone I've tried.
    Jane23 likes this.
    02-16-15 03:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    The way I figure, some people blow money on smoking which definitely hurts your quality of life. This is harmless.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-15 04:28 PM
    Ok, so lets broaden the scope...

Classic vs Passport.

I recognize the added power of the Passport hardware, but am in doubt whether I should look that way instead of at the Classic.

As mentioned, I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus, and to be honest, it's too big. Does this negate the Passport on the spot? IS it truly too unwieldy for me? I'd prefer something remotely resembling one handed usage, however if the power is that much more, I'd be interested.
    02-17-15 08:03 AM
    I like the classic, sharp device , not over whelming ,does what's it was intended to do and does it well and the price is right. A person just can't go in thinking it's going to out do a top end device tho because that's where the disappointment comes in.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    02-17-15 08:22 AM
    Ok, so lets broaden the scope...

Classic vs Passport.

I recognize the added power of the Passport hardware, but am in doubt whether I should look that way instead of at the Classic.

As mentioned, I currently have an iPhone 6 Plus, and to be honest, it's too big. Does this negate the Passport on the spot? IS it truly too unwieldy for me? I'd prefer something remotely resembling one handed usage, however if the power is that much more, I'd be interested.
    Coming from a 6 Plus to a classic, from what I've read up on the classic, you will be down on power, I've read that the classic is quite noticeably slower than the PassPort, well it should be really, so go for the PassPort, it is a big thing, but you get used to it real quick. It runs android apps really, really well, plenty of muscle, you won't be disappointed!
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    02-17-15 08:24 AM
    Tough one to answer (Passport v Classic) based on your usage and handset history.

If possible, I would suggest getting the Passport first, living with it as your daily driver for 2 weeks and if it's not for you, switch to the Classic.

The width of the Passport, is the main thing that might throw you into the uncomfortable zone, so if you can handle it, its a no brainer Passport for the win.

C001C21C1
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    02-17-15 02:30 PM
    I can acknowledge that the Passport is very wide but it does have its serious advantages. Seeing as you hope to use it primarily for communication, including social media, I think you will really like the screen (for its size and resolution). The keyboard is really innovative and after you give it a day or two at least, you will most likely really see the benefits of having a touch-enabled PKB (swiping up for word predictions, scrolling, etc). It is something that really translates to an improved experience and not just a gimmick. The battery is pretty solid and most importantly, it excels at the most important thing for a mobile device: being a phone. The call clarity is noticeably better, the loudspeaker blows away anything else I've ever used, and whatever mic configuration BlackBerry has used, it just works.

The one thing to note is that it is not really a one-handed use phone. You can hold it in one hand easily, scroll, read, etc but when it comes to doing some typing, you'd want to hold it with both hands. Want to know exactly big it is? Pick up your actual passport. It's the same size.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    keypad likes this.
    02-17-15 02:56 PM
    Still very much in the consideration phase...

I'm now considering selling my iPhone 6 Plus and putting the money towards a Passport.

However, I'm a bit worried about the issues I hear of... Mainly the screen "bending loose". Is it only a select few that have that issue? The reason I ask is that the phone is not readily available in Denmark, and I'd most likely end up buying it from shopblackberry.com, having it sent from the UK.

It'd be a bit of a bother if I have to return it.

Any thoughts?
    02-24-15 02:14 PM
    However, I'm a bit worried about the issues I hear of... Mainly the screen "bending loose". Is it only a select few that have that issue? The reason I ask is that the phone is not readily available in Denmark, and I'd most likely end up buying it from shopblackberry.com, having it sent from the UK.

It'd be a bit of a bother if I have to return it.
    I understand your concern but I don't think it's that widespread of a problem. It's not a design flaw like one of the earlier iPhones getting terrible reception because of the antenna placement or the Z10 having a poor battery life because of its ~1800 mAh capacity. It boils to bad luck for those that got a unit which ended up bending or the screen lifting. I haven't had mine in a case or a screen protector on it but considering how much of a pain it would be for you to get it replaced, put a screen protector on and put it one of those hard shell cases. The construction of the device is pretty solid but why risk it I guess.

Via CB10 on this beast they call the Passport
    02-25-15 07:22 PM
    I also have a 6+ which has really started to feel too big. I ordered the Passport when it first launched & REALLY liked it.
    Returned it due to size concerns over the long term.
    Ordered the Classic & loved it. I couldn't justify having two phones, especially after dropping $1000 on the 6+, & lacked access to some apps that I use on a regular basis, so I returned it.
    I am also trying to decrease my digital footprint. I'm thinking of selling my 6+ for a Classic(really like the form factor) & maybe getting an iPad Air to go along with it.
    02-26-15 06:06 PM
    I understand your concern but I don't think it's that widespread of a problem. It's not a design flaw
    Not true. You can take any Passport and twist it along its vertical axis and it will flex pretty easily, and it doesn't take too much of that to break the adhesive at the lower corner of the screen. This exact action happens organically if you put the phone in your pants pocket and then kneel or squat - when your thigh muscle flexes and takes up the slack in your pants, your pants will tighten and with the Passport in your pocket, the edges of the phone will be twisted/bent by your pants trying to conform to the curve of your thigh. This same thing will happen with any large smartphone, but the Passport is wider than any other phone (as wide as many 7" tablets), and the frame along the top and bottom aren't very strong at all due to their design - unlike the sides, which are far stronger.

To switch or not to switch-passport-design.jpg

Unless you assume that no one will ever carry their Passport in a pants pocket, this is a design flaw, and would require a complete redesign to fix. The screen itself is what's providing much of the structural integrity of the phone, and only a very thin band of adhesive around the edges of the screen is holding the screen to the frame. When the frame twists, the glass doesn't bend with it, and the adhesive separates.

Now, if you don't mind a big case on your phone to give it additional structure, or you'll never carry your phone in a pants pocket or anywhere else that will put torque on it, then this isn't an issue. For everyone else, it will be a problem sooner or later.
    Marlon650 likes this.
    02-26-15 07:05 PM
    Evening ladies and gentlemen.

I'm in a bit of a pickle... Once again that itch is getting to me... The itch to try something new again.

A little phone-history:

In 2008, I jumped on the iPhone 3G when it was released here in Denmark. 6 months later, I got a Blackberry Bold 9000. What a brilliant little phone, I still recall using it fondly, as one of the best I've ever used. This was followed by an iPhone 4S when it was released, then a Samsung Galaxy S2, an iPhone 5, a Galaxy S3, iPhone 5S, Note 3 and now iPhone 6 plus 64gb & Lumia 930 that I switch between.

Right, smartphone history out of the way. I'm considering switching... To the Blackberry Classic. Partly because I want to experience another OS, partly because of the fond memories of the Bold I had way back. And mainly because the iOS and Android offerings out there bore me.

My usage is fairly generic... I do quite a bit of texting, emails and phonecalls daily. I'd like a few apps as well of course, and the list consisting of must-have apps is:

Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram

Other than that, I'd like possibilities of SnapChat and perhaps a few other Android apps side loaded.

I'm not sure, but I don't think I'll lack any specific apps as such, when looking at the above.

I'm aware that my 6 Plus most likely has better battery life, than a Blackberry Classic, but that's a non-issue for me, as long as I can get through a day on a charge. I'm by no means a heavy user, so I think that'd be ok.

I think that's it, really... My question to you is:

Am I crazy for considering the change? Should I stick to my iPhone, or get the Blackberry Classic?
    I don't think you're crazy at all for considering it!! I went from an iPhone 5 to a Z10!!

If as you say your usage is fairly generic, are not a heavy app user, and use the device mostly for texting, emailing, and calls, I think a Classic will be perfect!!! I think it would be a great move, and once you get used to the Classic you will prefer it for your needs!

The Hub in BB10, if you are not familiar with it, is a unified, integrated mail system that lets you handle ALL of your text communications in one place including Facebook messages. It was really the feature that sold me on BB10. I found it made handling daily communications MUCH more efficient. I found it way better than the mail system in iOS.

As for battery life, its a close call… The Classic has a pretty big battery, and the latest OS 10.3.1 has very good power management, and includes a power saving mode you can activate when your battery gets to a user-set percentage. I wouldn't be surprised if the Classic outlasts your iPhone.

As for apps, if you load Snap - a 3rd party app store - you have access to the google play store. On my Z30 more than 95% of the android apps work perfectly on my phone. I've never found myself wanting for apps on my BB after moving from Apple.
    02-26-15 07:21 PM