Hi all,

I currently have an Android device with AT&T, but just got an unlocked Bold 9900. So, I want to be able to swap SIMs between the devices and use them interchangeably. While I'm sure voice would work no problem, I've read there could be an issue with data. I have a 5 GB data plan for the Android device, but have heard that AT&T needs to enable BES/BIS on your account if you are using a BB. This suggests that, although priced similarly, BB data plans are a different entity from AT&T's perspective.

My company has BES, so I definitely need that as well as BIS for personal email. If AT&T does what they need to do to enable these on my account, does that mean the data plan associated with the SIM will no longer work on the Android phone? Nothing I've read yet seems definitive on whether this works or at least works without issues...

Does anyone have experience with scenario or a similar one, such as swapping between BB and iPhone on AT&T? I just want to make sure I understand so when I talk to AT&T, I'll know whether they understand what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!

--BXP
    08-30-12 08:53 PM
    Wrong answer. See below.
    Last edited by raino; 08-31-12 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Incorrect information, apparently.
    08-30-12 08:59 PM
    If you get The BB data plan for the 9900 then you can swap back and fourth between phones.
    08-30-12 09:16 PM
    as @RoseBud68 said,

if you have a BB data plan, you can use a NON BB phone with the dataplan,

But you must first call AT&T to make sure you get your plan activated for BB use, then you can swap as you please between devices, though some rumors say you need to make sure to use your BB at least monthly to retain the BB dataplan or your carrier switches you back to a NON BB plan
    08-30-12 09:20 PM
    Thanks, guys! Very helpful. I'm heading to the AT&T store in a little bit.
    08-31-12 08:29 AM
    Can you do the same with an iphone4s? Like switch to a BB data plan and still swap sims into my iPhone?
    08-31-12 09:56 AM
    I was switching between iPhones and Blackberrys with Rogers in Canada. So getting a Blackberry plan was all I needed as it enabled BIS and BBM services to my existing data plan. The plan worked for all Blackberrys, Android and iOS devices. I'm sure it's the same for other carriers. Now, if they all the phones can use the same SIM, geez.
    08-31-12 10:02 AM
    Ok thanks. I will try that out. It's just a phone call to AT&T right? I don't have to go in to the store?
    08-31-12 10:50 AM
    Ok thanks. I will try that out. It's just a phone call to AT&T right? I don't have to go in to the store?
    That's correct, just give them a call & tell them you have a BB phone & need the BB data plan.
    08-31-12 11:30 AM
    Ok thanks.
    08-31-12 11:44 AM
    as @RoseBud68 said,

if you have a BB data plan, you can use a NON BB phone with the dataplan,

But you must first call AT&T to make sure you get your plan activated for BB use, then you can swap as you please between devices, though some rumors say you need to make sure to use your BB at least monthly to retain the BB dataplan or your carrier switches you back to a NON BB plan
    I guess I was wrong. But how does data routing work? Does it automatically gets switched to transmit through the carrier? And then switched back to RIM's NOCs when the SIM is put back into a BB?
    08-31-12 11:46 AM
    I guess I was wrong. But how does data routing work? Does it automatically gets switched to transmit through the carrier? And then switched back to RIM's NOCs when the SIM is put back into a BB?
    The data routing is done by the phone, not the SIM, so when using a BlackBerry, it uses the routing provided by the BlackBerry service books, when using another phone, it uses the routing setup in the other phone.

If you are using a BlackBerry with a micro sim card be wary of the adapters jamming in the sim reader and breaking off pins from the SIM reader. I think this is more of a problem for BlackBerries with slot type sim readers where you cannot see the pins, such as on the Torch. On a 9900, you can just place the micro-sim centered over the pins without an adapter since you can see the pins and move the sim.
    Last edited by robsteve; 08-31-12 at 11:55 AM.
    raino and _StephenBB81 like this.
    08-31-12 11:51 AM
    That's basically correct. There was a point when I was looking at the possibility of a similar situation and discussed it with an AT&T CS rep. She added that there system would recognize that there was a different phone IMEI and it was safest to call CS to have a notation put in the record so they didn't turn off the BIS part of the plan. IIRC, you could go a couple of days before that would happen. This was awhile ago and I didn't get more details since it wasn't a reality for me at the time. Things could very well have changed since then. That was over a year ago.
    08-31-12 01:09 PM
    I have the same issue--switched AT&T SIM from my Android to Blackberry. One call activated BB plan and didn't interfere with my grandfathered unlimited. I switched back and did not have any problems using the Android for all purposes. Then went back to Blackberry and it was still working. I am not really sure why AT&T would make changes based on the IMEI since the draw of GSM is being able to swap phones (and my kids do it OFTEN), but I suppose it is possible that I might wake up one day and not be able to use the Blackberry without another call to AT&T.

I don't have much faith in the CS notations, though. Anecdotally when I changed my plan recently I had about 15,000 rollover minutes that were supposed to follow me even though the general rule is that you lose them. I called on another matter and found out they hadn't... even though the notes were correct, the second CS had to have supervisor approval and add the minutes back in 5000 minute increments over several days. Pisser.

EDIT: I can confirm that AT&T gets the IMEI of the phone after a time. I just checked my account and I have the 9900 on a line with data blocking (which has never before had a Blackberry on it), and there is a cute little picture of a 9900 next to that line. Further, the line that I switched my Android back to no longer has a cute Blackberry, but has an ugly Android, and no BIS service. So the advice is CONFIRMED. Big brother is watching

Still, not a big deal, if you put the SIM in your Blackberry and don't have service, you can just call and get it redone in about 1 minute. Ten minutes. AWHILE.
    Last edited by Charlie_V; 11-13-12 at 03:46 PM.
    11-13-12 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD