I got a data plan for my Bold, but my wife absolutely didn't want data for her Curve.

Now, if she wants a new theme or ringtone or something else, can I pop my SIM into her phone and download stuff to her phone?

Just curious, and this was not something I just wanted to try to see if it worked.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Last edited by dynalmadman; 11-07-08 at 02:13 PM.
    11-07-08 01:52 PM
    I'm pretty sure you can't. The provisioning gets attached to the PIN # of the device as well.
    11-07-08 02:15 PM
    I agree with sunkast, don't think that will work.
    11-07-08 02:22 PM
    It will work fine. IMEI #'s are only for tracking purposes.

Trust me. It will work PERFECTLY FINE.

This is why GSM is the world wide standard..because of ease of device swapping.

It will work.

IMEI#'s are only used for tracking purposes and nothing more.

The SIM chip's on Orange are all labeled with a 3G fireball logo, even if your device only supports 2G. You can even take that SIM chip, with the Blackberry data..and put it in a regular cell phone, a Windows Mobile phone, an iPhone and everything, voice, data will work fine.
    Last edited by sniffs; 11-07-08 at 02:27 PM.
    11-07-08 02:24 PM
    I wasn't referring to the IMEI. I'm pretty certain that a BB data plan is provisioned based on PIN of the device.
    11-07-08 02:28 PM
    I wasn't referring to the IMEI. I'm pretty certain that a BB data plan is provisioned based on PIN of the device.
    It's not.

The BB data plan is a feature that is unblocked from the account once it's added. Has nothing to do with a PIN#.

You can take your SIM chip from your BB, that has a pin of, lets say 21FC239E, put it in a Windows Mobile phone, download Blackberry Connect and it'll generate a random PIN # that is completely different than the one that is on the BB. The PIN is just a way to identify the device itself.. it's how the device communicates to and from RIM's network and a BES.

You can take that sim chip and insert it into another BB and it'll still work fine. Anyone that tells you otherwise is just playing "by the book".

Sorry, dont mean to sound pompous, just that I'm 100% positive. =)
    Last edited by sniffs; 11-07-08 at 02:37 PM.
    11-07-08 02:33 PM
    Wow, thanks for the information. I guess I can at least pop it in and see what happens. Sounds like it won't hurt anything either way. So the data usage is attached to the SIM card. My other worry was that even with the different SIM, she would get charged for the amount of data xferred, since she is on a pay per use data.

I'll give it a shot! Thanks again,
    Michael
    11-07-08 02:39 PM
    Data usage is attached/tracked to the phone #. If you take YOUR sim chip and put it in HER phone, your # will now be on HER device.

The only way around this is to con an ATT rep into swapping the #'s using brand new SIM chips. If they know you're trying to do this, they may not allow it.. It can definately be done however.
    11-07-08 02:40 PM
    No, no, I am not looking for a permanent change. I just want to swap 'em long enough to download to her phone, get her what she wants, then give her SIM back.

Sounds like a no-brainer. Thanks a lot!
    Michael
    11-07-08 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD