One more testimonial for the absolute necessity of a Blackberry.

On September 12th (my birthday no less!) my family awaited the arrival of Hurricane Ike. We live about 40 miles north of downtown Houston and we knew it was going to be a direct hit on Galveston. We knew we would lose power and that we would be without communication for a while. Our power went out at 2:30 am on Sat the 13th. A while turned into 14 days for us!!! For the first couple of days all communication was bad. I have cell and data service with Verizon and it was intermittent for a few days, but.... I did have better communication than anyone else I knew! Luckily we have a generator at work and I could charge it there every day. My battery never got below 2 bars and I used it constantly!

I used my Blackberry for everything! Most of the time I was the only one with cell service and definitely the only one with any internet service. We had no power at work (we are still on generator there as I type), and my Blackberry was our only contact with coworkers and customers. Our work cell phones are at &t which drops us after about a minute on every call. I was able to get online most of the time, even though sometimes it was very slow. As Verizon got their towers back online I was back at full speed with data.

And one added bonus ..... my Blackberry Curve is a great FLASHLIGHT !!! Being in the dark for 2 weeks uses a lot of flashlight batteries, but I had one built right in my trusty Blackberry!

I know so many people that are going to be getting one just because of how mine performed during this hurricane.

I only got my Curve at the end of August, and I'm so thankful that I did.

Thanks Blackberry for helping me,my family, and my coworkers make it through a very, very difficult situation.
    09-28-08 09:34 PM
    Wow glad to hear you made it through ok
    09-28-08 09:48 PM
    Howdy StarBlue,

When RIM start making customer based commercials, I have a feeling you'll be one of the first ones!
    09-28-08 10:32 PM
    Good to see you made it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 01:20 AM
    Yea I know how you feel about hurricane ike, I live in San Antonio and I'm a licensed adjuster and on the 13th I packed my truck up bought another blackberry curve and I have been in Houston 11 days now and both of my curves have had around the time use.

I'm so glad that I bought the other one as a business line it stays flooded with emails and phone calls and leaves my personal curve open to use as navigation and notes when I'm on the road.

I think if blackberry wants to do a commercial I could give them some good footage on the usefulness and versatility of there phones.

I hope your family and your home weathered the storm and you get your power back soon I have been in no power areas since I got up here and I know the annonance involved

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-08 01:22 AM
    Hey there.... I too was abused by Ike. I live in Beaumont, Tx. I stayed at my job(hotel) and we lost power around 12:30am saturday. Later on that morning maybe around 5 or 6 we was all down in the loby I was on my blackberry everybody look at me and ask what I was doing... I say I'm on the internet. They looked at me like I was crazy lol. Thankfully tmobile never lost service. My blackberry did become my bestfriend for about two weeks.
    09-29-08 09:13 AM
    Thanks y'all, it was definitely an experience I don't want to repeat. Luckily, we had very little damage, just a section of fence blown down.

Most of the media coverage has been about Galveston and Seabrook, but the whole area really took a beating. Take a look at the slideshows on chron.com (our local paper).

Charberry, I'm glad you made it ok. I know Beaumont got hit hard.

My Blackberry did get a small scratch on the screen tho Any suggestions about how to fix it?
    09-29-08 07:49 PM
    Hey star I'm in Humble and I completely understand. After a week no power we finally got a generator. Blackberry was my life saver. Only thing sucked was not enough towers working so service was hit and miss but better than completely nothing.

Char you are lucky cause I have tmobile and they suffered alot of towers going down and here in Humble my whole family has Tmobile and we were hit and miss.
    09-29-08 09:59 PM
    I did the same thing in Baton Rouge during the 12 days of Gustav. Thank you VZ and BB.
    09-29-08 10:04 PM
    StarBlue [and charberry1] - Great BB testimonial! Comforting to know you have some sort of connection to the outside world, isn't it? I agree - Ike/BB stories would make some great commercials. Or at least a Public Relations blurb on the website.

Glad to hear you survived Ike without major damage [char, I hope this goes for you as well]. You're right about Ike creating a wide area of damage - my family lives in The Woodlands (110 miles inland) and last I heard my brother still doesn't have power. I suspect his Berry kept him connected to his office, too (although he's not a CB addict and doesn't think much about technology - what's up with that?).

Hope your birthday next year is calm and boring in comparison!
    Last edited by SparklyShiny; 09-29-08 at 10:07 PM. Reason: Initials "P.R." turned into "page ranking" - nope, I meant Public Relations!
    09-29-08 10:05 PM
    thats great that you could use your berry to contact people and family.
    09-29-08 10:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";