True BB noob, sorry if this is a stupid question.

Blackberry Messenger, when I go to add someone it opens my address book and I pick out a contact sends them an email for them to join. Then they are added to my contact list.

Question: This is using the blackberry pin to pin for messages?
    07-12-08 01:36 PM
    Yes, BB Messenger uses your devices pin to send messages to another BB's device by also having their pin
    07-12-08 01:37 PM
    Yes, but do not send the request by Email. It will stay
    pending. Select Request by pin instead

You and the party must have BB's with Data.

Welcome to CB
    07-12-08 01:38 PM
    AG is correct as always, I'm finding out. Open BBM>menu>add contact>type PIN and select PIN>click ok and wait for the request to be accepted.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-08 01:42 PM
    Scroll all the way to the top of the address book and you willl see [Use Once]. Highlight that, press the menu key, and select Request by PIN. You can then edit the message and send it.
    07-12-08 01:42 PM
    Thanks everyone, glad I am here.

This leads me to my next question.

Is there a way to set up a centralized directory that we can
    'push' out to eveyone or does each person have to send and accept invites?

I am in IS and we are starting to roll them out, are we all just going to have to send each other invites everytie someone gets one?
    07-12-08 02:10 PM
    I followed the instrcuitoons however there is no optuion for pin only email when I go to optioins>use once> it has only email options. I have an 8310 curve from at&t
    07-12-08 06:36 PM
    Close BBM and open it and try again. That happens sometimes.
    07-12-08 06:39 PM
    Thanks everyone, glad I am here.

This leads me to my next question.

Is there a way to set up a centralized directory that we can
    'push' out to eveyone or does each person have to send and accept invites?

I am in IS and we are starting to roll them out, are we all just going to have to send each other invites everytie someone gets one?
    You going to need to send them out by individual Pin Request.

Not sure what you mean by centralized directory, because BBM keeps a directory of accepted pins.
    07-12-08 06:51 PM
    I followed the instrcuitoons however there is no optuion for pin only email when I go to optioins>use once> it has only email options. I have an 8310 curve from at&t
    When you go to Use Once, don't click - Highlight it, hit menu, select Request by PIN.
    07-12-08 06:55 PM
    You going to need to send them out by individual Pin Request.

Not sure what you mean by centralized directory, because BBM keeps a directory of accepted pins.
    Yeah, I was thinking that was a littl eobtuse. I guess it would be cool if we could send out a pre-packaged 'distribution list' with all addresses that a new Blackberry would receive and the person would just accept once instead of that person having to send out the invite to 30 different pins.

Not sure if that is any clearer.

Actually sending out via email does work as long as they accept it on thier Blackberry.

Even using emails it is a hassle to have to send out 30 invites, it would be nice, since there is already a Distribution list in Active Directory for "Information Services" if you could just send out invites to that list, much easier then sending out 30 invites.
    07-12-08 11:08 PM
    Came up with this thread by using the search button:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f49/mul...essages-42121/
    07-12-08 11:14 PM
    Came up with this thread by using the search button:
    Awesome, thanks! I usually try to search first but this just came to me earlier and I was away from my pc.
    07-12-08 11:28 PM
    I was having the same peoblem!! Thanks cause you've helped me and i feel better now~!
    07-13-08 12:43 AM
    Yes, but do not send the request by Email. It will stay
    pending. Select Request by pin instead

You and the party must have BB's with Data.

Welcome to CB
    Exactly right!

Welcome to Crackberry!
    07-13-08 01:23 AM
    I have an 8310 with the unlimited bb plan form AT&T but there is not an option from the use once there is only an email option. Do you think I need to get with AT&T to see if my software is defective?
    07-18-08 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD