Wow. Tough crowd. You guys do realize that this ad did exactly what it meant. This ad is spurring discussion, whether good or bad. It's simple awareness ad. Even if people talk about how terrible the Blackberry ad was, they're talking about BlackBerry, which is exactly the point of it all. Sheesh.
    The first time I saw your avatar, I thought to myself: "Oh boy, here comes a really crazy comment". Now when I see your avatar, I think: "Finally, a comment that isn't crazy".

Thank you for being one of the most consistently normal people on this forum. I want to swaddle you in a blanket and keep you safe from the world for all time.
    02-04-13 12:24 AM
    1st time poster here. Don't look now but the Blackberry commercial is the top rated commercial on the superbowl.
    Super Bowl Commercials from Feb. 3, 2013 - NFL.com

Who woulda thunk it! Go Blackberry!
    Was! Seems the buggers removed it.
    02-04-13 12:32 AM
    Interesting. If you click on top rated, the Budweiser ad comes up first. If you click on that ad it says it is number 2, so that implies that the BlackBerry ad is still number one but not showing up.
    02-04-13 01:12 AM
    They pronounce it zee. How funny. Somehow, it makes them sound dumber.
    02-04-13 01:14 AM
    I thought so to. Conspiracy theories anyone? Just checked again. Go to by brand. Hit Blackberry. Still comes up #1. What
    can I say!
    02-04-13 01:17 AM
    I must have voted 20 times. How about a little support here. Vote and vote often. We can make a difference.
    02-04-13 01:44 AM
    02-04-13 01:47 AM
    Not even on par with the Samsung ads last year, let alone challenging Apple's 1984 ads
    02-04-13 02:08 AM
    To whoever quoted me, too lazy to quote.
    In order to get anywhere in the market again, they have to aim for their top users; business users, whether they like or not. Maybe he won't admit it but its something that is pretty obvious and can't be ignored.
    Last edited by Djlatino; 02-04-13 at 05:24 AM. Reason: too lazy to quote
    02-04-13 02:30 AM
    Now I'm pissed. cbssports.com is not even listing Blackberry as a advertiser. This is absolute BS. At the same time their top rated ad shows up as # 2. We are probably still#1 but they have cut off voting for the BB ad. You can't show your support for Blackberry. Evil bastards are at work.
    02-04-13 03:07 AM
    Making people aware that there is a poll can't be seen as skewing results. Paying people to vote a certain way would be.

Taking the Ad down after several million spent is strange.
    02-04-13 03:55 AM
    The first time I saw your avatar, I thought to myself: "Oh boy, here comes a really crazy comment". Now when I see your avatar, I think: "Finally, a comment that isn't crazy".

Thank you for being one of the most consistently normal people on this forum. I want to swaddle you in a blanket and keep you safe from the world for all time.
    No kidding. Marketing is more than beating people over the head with a product and telling them to buy it. This doesn't work. The whole point to this endeavor was that BB did it in the first place and this got people/press talking. The commercial could have been 30 seconds of blank screen because it didn't matter, so to speak. It was the free press that BB got which was important. The fact that you remember the commercial at all is interesting and tells you it was successful. Why else would people be here. If you want an example of poor marketing, think of Pepsi. Despite their carpet bombing approach, I still couldn't remember who the main sponor of superbowl was five minutes after the show ended. Now that is sad.
    02-04-13 06:18 AM
    Not even on par with the Samsung ads last year, let alone challenging Apple's 1984 ads
    But I can't remember this add at all. In advertising, unmemoriable is equivalent to unsuccessful.
    02-04-13 06:21 AM
    They should have used this one instead:

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-pre...l-hits-youtube
    If they did, which its way too long for what they could afford, people would say boring......time to get a snack.
    Crisdean likes this.
    02-04-13 06:24 AM
    I was hoping the commercial would really grab attention, saying Blackberry is back and better than ever!! It did not do that unfortunately. Very forgettable commercial. Disappointed. Still getting my z10 tomorrow though cause the phone is awesome!
    02-04-13 06:43 AM
    From the perspective of the people I was watching with (one of which was actually excited for the new BB) the consensus was "so whats new?". They saw nothing their current phones didn't already do, messaging. Big deal was the general feeling. The commercials didn't focus, didn't demonstrate and certainly didn't wow!. All they really showed was the Hub, strangely the most criticized aspect of the device so far. There was nothing "fun" to attract people to the new device. Hopefully they'll release some new Ads in the run up to release.
    02-04-13 07:36 AM
    From the perspective of the people I was watching with (one of which was actually excited for the new BB) the consensus was "so whats new?". They saw nothing their current phones didn't already do, messaging. Big deal was the general feeling. The commercials didn't focus, didn't demonstrate and certainly didn't wow!. All they really showed was the Hub, strangely the most criticized aspect of the device so far. There was nothing "fun" to attract people to the new device. Hopefully they'll release some new Ads in the run up to release.

And what Apple commercial ever shows more than one simple feature. A whole commercial for "sleep mode"?

This is the starting line folks, not the finish line. Thor said it himself....
    Prince_Poppycock likes this.
    02-04-13 07:50 AM
    For comparison sake, does anyone know how much it costs for a regular TV commercial slot on a major network during prime-time?

I have a feeling that $4 million really isn't that much, in today's economy, especially when it can target 100 million+ people all at once and specifically during one of the very very very rare times when people actually look forward to seeing commercials rather than FF/skipping over them.
    02-04-13 08:26 AM
    And what Apple commercial ever shows more than one simple feature. A whole commercial for "sleep mode"? This is the starting line folks, not the finish line. Thor said it himself....
    If the Apple/Blackberry comparison is a thing in advertising then BB have already lost, sorry. Honestly the two have nothing to do with each other. This Ad said nothing to the consumer, nothing! The part of the market that killed RIM in the U.S. got ZERO information from this commercial.
    02-04-13 08:37 AM
    Standing around the coffee machine at the office today I asked 4-5 folks if they saw the BlackBerry ad. "Which one was that" - everyone remembered the "rubber duckies" but not that it was a BlackBerry ad.
    02-04-13 08:46 AM
    02-04-13 08:59 AM
    Most folks i've talked to have been surprisingly postive. I think its actually a pretty creative idea, for sure not the norm!
    02-04-13 09:44 AM
    Hopefully they'll release some new Ads in the run up to release.
    You dont have to say hopefully....

The part of the market that killed RIM in the U.S. got ZERO information from this commercial.
    The whole point was to give zero information. The information will be given out. Look at the blog posts on the main page, there is much more to come.
    Why dont people understand this is ONE commercial for the superbowl? Canada is already seeing the advertising campaign in effect.
    If I see one more person question whether or not there is more to come, or that they should show off feautres, I am giving up hope for Crackberry users haha.
    02-04-13 09:47 AM
    Initially, I was kind of disappointed. Thought it didn't do much at all to show of the phone, or rebuild the brand. Then, while walking the dog this morning, I had a realization.

The first problem may still be a problem, depending on your taste for such things, but the "rebuilding the brand" idea... a guy in the comments suggested they could have a done a "Dark Ages" theme with old BlackBerrys, and those people getting "modernized" with the latest phone, to poke fun at themselves and show self-awareness (think when Domino's pizza changed its formula, or when last year Chrysler ran ads essentially saying 'We're back from the brink of annihilation!"). Originally I thought that might work, but then I realized why not.

The Super Bowl is an international event. People all over the place saw this commercial - including places where the BB brand is doing just fine. Why design an ad essentially for the US market (the one place where the BB brand is really hurt) during a show that will be watched everywhere? People in the UK and Canada, for example, who still believe BB to be great and top-of-the-line, would only be put off by that; you'd have the unintended consequence of introducing brand weakness where there isn't any.
    02-04-13 10:05 AM
    If they did, which its way too long for what they could afford, people would say boring......time to get a snack.
    Yes agree with you on that one. It was nicely made. But not Superbowl style. Having watched the ad a couple of times everything makes sense and is done so smartly it's a joy to watch. I expected an ad but not such a good one! Well done BlackBerry. If they could release a few more over the next few weeks to keep everyone at it that'd be even better.
    02-04-13 11:37 AM
267 ... 891011