my Outlook email/storage is 30gb for absolutely free.

happy user here.
    Is there a way to confirm this in the Outlook.com portal?

Instagram: iamivanwilliams
    Twitter: iamivanwilliams
    01-01-15 01:58 PM
    my Outlook email/storage is 30gb for absolutely free.

happy user here.
    I paid for Office 365 so I got a whole terabyte.
    01-02-15 03:59 PM
    I run my own BES 10 for my family LOL. Take that, NSA!

Posted via CB10
    BBHermes and SmileDahling like this.
    01-02-15 08:47 PM
    I've been looking for something similar but I don't think there truly is an absolute alternative. As someone already pointed out, all of these major providers are no better than Google - they're in it for profit and no company will turn away from the highest bidder.

My problem is that I really want email, calendar, and contact sync - not just email. That's where the server comes in. It's nice to be able to have your desktop and mobile (regardless of brand) all connected. Not to mention the lack of need for backup after backup.

I would love for BlackBerry to have their own solution for the above mentioned services all rolled into one.

I would consider Outlook but I've been on Google for so many years now.

emPowered by 
    01-02-15 09:03 PM
    That's interesting... Do you know of any how-to guide or article for someone wanting to do a BES 12 setup for a family? On the surface it seems like trying to squash a fly with a tank, lol... But it's worth exploring if only for self-edification..
    Smitty13 likes this.
    01-02-15 10:09 PM
    That's interesting... Do you know of any how-to guide or article for someone wanting to do a BES 12 setup for a family? On the surface it seems like trying to squash a fly with a tank, lol... But it's worth exploring if only for self-edification..
    LOL! No. It's not a real hobbyist quick install. You need an MS Exchange Server to start, but ideally you'll also have a static IP address so you can connect it to the Internet to send email. It's all doable on the cheap. I had a MS TechNet subscription and an ISP which would work with me to get the reverse DNS (rDNS) properly sorted as well as the bespoke static IP address, which is also necessary so other mail servers would accept my email.

As for how-to's and FAQs. The installation is pretty straightforward and there are some very well-written knowledge base articles on the BlackBerry site. I'm using BES10.2, btw. I bought the perpetual CALs for $90 ea. and have 6 of them which nicely covers my family's BlackBerrys (x 4) + an iOS device and an Android.

More or less in order of what you need/install:
    • 1. MS Server 2008 or 2012
    • 2. MS Exchange 2010 or 2013 [alternatively you can use IBM Traveller, but I'm out of my depth there!]
    • 3. Static IP address w/ proper rDNS (so you can send/receive email on your Exchange Server)
    • 4. Firewall which can perform NAT (network address translation) and configurable to permit inbound SMTP (email protocol) to your mail server
    • 4a. Optionally permit inbound secure HTTP (port 443) for ActiveSync access to your email server (see note below)
    • 5. MX Records properly set up (check out breezy.ca, the domain I own. You can also do an MX test at mxtoolbox.com)
    • 6. BES10 or BES12 (free downloads)
    • 7. Evaluation CALs (structured a bit differently depending on BES10 or BES12)

Note:
    Another nice-to-have is, since you have an Exchange server now set up to connect to the Internet and you have inbound email protocols permitted to access it, you can also do MS Exchange ActiveSync to access your email from the Internet. In fact, if you don't even want to go down the BES road, after you've finished step 5 (above) you're all ready to go for ActiveSync. At that point you have your personal secure cloud-based email which, since it's using Exchange, means that you can sync your calendar, notes, and contacts too.
    01-03-15 07:46 AM
    I was using Outlook when I had my Z10. I switched to Gmail when I got my s5. I didn't want to switch back when I got my Passport so I continued to use Gmail.

So far no problems with contacts and calendar sync.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 07:57 AM
    LOL! No. It's not a real hobbyist quick install. You need an MS Exchange Server to start, but ideally you'll also have a static IP address so you can connect it to the Internet to send email. It's all doable on the cheap. I had a MS TechNet subscription and an ISP which would work with me to get the reverse DNS (rDNS) properly sorted as well as the bespoke static IP address, which is also necessary so other mail servers would accept my email.

As for how-to's and FAQs. The installation is pretty straightforward and there are some very well-written knowledge base articles on the BlackBerry site. I'm using BES10.2, btw. I bought the perpetual CALs for $90 ea. and have 6 of them which nicely covers my family's BlackBerrys (x 4) + an iOS device and an Android.

More or less in order of what you need/install:
    • 1. MS Server 2008 or 2012
    • 2. MS Exchange 2010 or 2013 [alternatively you can use IBM Traveller, but I'm out of my depth there!]
    • 3. Static IP address w/ proper rDNS (so you can send/receive email on your Exchange Server)
    • 4. Firewall which can perform NAT (network address translation) and configurable to permit inbound SMTP (email protocol) to your mail server
    • 4a. Optionally permit inbound secure HTTP (port 443) for ActiveSync access to your email server (see note below)
    • 5. MX Records properly set up (check out breezy.ca, the domain I own. You can also do an MX test at mxtoolbox.com)
    • 6. BES10 or BES12 (free downloads)
    • 7. Evaluation CALs (structured a bit differently depending on BES10 or BES12)

Note:
    Another nice-to-have is, since you have an Exchange server now set up to connect to the Internet and you have inbound email protocols permitted to access it, you can also do MS Exchange ActiveSync to access your email from the Internet. In fact, if you don't even want to go down the BES road, after you've finished step 5 (above) you're all ready to go for ActiveSync. At that point you have your personal secure cloud-based email which, since it's using Exchange, means that you can sync your calendar, notes, and contacts too.
    This is helpful, thanks! Would you -- or anyone else -- know if there are any hosted solutions that could do this? That is, instead of setting up the static IP and machines myself, I outsource it to a hosted server (along with MS Exchange etc). But I suppose things would become cost-prohibitive for just a few family phones once we bring in a middle-man...

But thanks for the details; this is a very useful summary!
    Smitty13 likes this.
    01-03-15 12:29 PM

Posted via CB10
    As soon as your email traffic reaches the public internet the NSA can see it.
    j4rive likes this.
    01-03-15 01:07 PM
    As soon as your email traffic reaches the public internet the NSA can see it.
    No duh.

But intra-family email doesn't. Furthermore, I can retrieve/view email over an encrypted channel *and* my email isn't indexed or seizable by law enforcement under CDN law. Doesn't prevent email I send to others from being intercepted except that, in the majority of cases, servers which front webmail services such as outlook and even gmail, will encrypt the mail transfer.

My reference to the NSA (or whomever) isn't an over-arching point so much as my saying that I have more control than someone who hosts their email at any third-party.

Btw, I use outlook.com/Office365 as a backup to my own solution for when Internet outages, etc., make my email servers unreachable. So I'm not very paranoid. I appreciate the slickness of the outlook.com solution.

Posted via CB10
    Smitty13 likes this.
    01-03-15 01:17 PM
    This is helpful, thanks! Would you -- or anyone else -- know if there are any hosted solutions that could do this? That is, instead of setting up the static IP and machines myself, I outsource it to a hosted server (along with MS Exchange etc). But I suppose things would become cost-prohibitive for just a few family phones once we bring in a middle-man...

But thanks for the details; this is a very useful summary!
    There are both hosted Exchange/ActiveSync *and* BES solutions out there.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-15 01:19 PM
    And many of these issues would be solved if they would get Blend out to all of us.
    01-27-15 01:55 PM
    And many of these issues would be solved if they would get Blend out to all of us.
    *cough* leak *cough*
    01-27-15 02:20 PM
    How's Blend going to do anything? It's a glorified BB Bridge for your computer.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-27-15 03:06 PM
    As I understand Blend, it will provide email, contact, and calendar syncing across all platforms, excluding the PlayBook.

Posted via CB10
    01-27-15 09:38 PM
    As I understand Blend, it will provide email, contact, and calendar syncing across all platforms, excluding the PlayBook.
    Blend is simply a way to use your phone's BBM, SMS, Email, Calendar from your PC. It's basically just a "tunnel" to your phone.
    01-27-15 10:18 PM
    All this talk of privacy, sheesh. Sounds like some folks would be better off with a box of pens and a few reams of paper lol.
    I understand the comment, if we look at people sharing everything in their lives, on online portals like Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter etc...
    If those cry for more privacy, it's just comedic.

However, wanting more privacy on the net as a principle, is neither nuts nor unfeasible.
    And playing the wish down, like you just did, very probably won't help the cause.

We finally saw a move to phones being encrypted by default, by a lot of manufacturers (I don't have to say how laughable it is that especially BlackBerry doesn't do this) for example.

iMessage and WhatsApp would be 2 mainstream messengers, whom actually encrypt the messages sent.
    Which is a far higher degree of security than the consumer BlackBerry Messenger version offers.

The whole NSA/Snowden thing has raised some serious concerns about state financed corporate espionage in Europe.

We definitely see a (albeit small) trend to harder secured email services (also their shutdown, depending on where they are located. Lavamail would be a good, but sad example http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavabit ) as well. Which further leads us to email services in countries with stricter privacy laws.

Etc... Etc...

Being connected and having the expectation of not getting mass surveilled successfully, doesn't have to be an oxymoron.
    Why you felt the need to make fun of people who actually still value their privacy in a modern context, is something I don't really get.
    01-28-15 04:30 AM
    I understand the comment, if we look at people sharing everything in their lives, on online portals like Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter etc...
    If those cry for more privacy, it's just comedic.

However, wanting more privacy on the net as a principle, is neither nuts nor unfeasible.
    And playing the wish down, like you just did, very probably won't help the cause.

We finally saw a move to phones being encrypted by default, by a lot of manufacturers (I don't have to say how laughable it is that especially BlackBerry doesn't do this) for example.

iMessage and WhatsApp would be 2 mainstream messengers, whom actually encrypt the messages sent.
    Which is a far higher degree of security than the consumer BlackBerry Messenger version offers.

The whole NSA/Snowden thing has raised some serious concerns about state financed corporate espionage in Europe.

We definitely see a (albeit small) trend to harder secured email services (also their shutdown, depending on where they are located. Lavamail would be a good, but sad example http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavabit ) as well. Which further leads us to email services in countries with stricter privacy laws.

Etc... Etc...

Being connected and having the expectation of not getting mass surveilled successfully, doesn't have to be an oxymoron.
    Why you felt the need to make fun of people who actually still value their privacy in a modern context, is something I don't really get.
    I got bitten by the lavabit shutdown...
    Most of my email accounts were going through it, and I was planning to go paid... :-(

Yeah, defending the constitution. No longer the politicians' business, but people like Ladar Levison...

*** ZnaPPy posting, ahoy ... ***
    BBHermes likes this.
    01-28-15 05:02 AM
    You're so serious at times. It was a light-hearted joke.
    MarsupilamiX and donemt like this.
    01-28-15 12:46 PM
    You're so serious at times. It was a light-hearted joke.
    You should have attached this one:

But well, there a few themes that grind my gears. Privacy and 1080p displays on smartphones (Z30, you hear me?) are probably 2 of those.

The Internet of Things (and here I mean our daily interaction with the Internet and how it changed human behaviour since the 90s) has progressed so immensely and fastly, that humankind didn't have enough time to figure out how to adopt an intelligent code of conduct (for businesses, governments and those people who tweat/FB/IG about absolutely everything) for the Internet and privacy. It's a wild west out there, currently...

So yeah, I didn't think that you were totally serious. It's just that, it might have been a little bit insensitive towards people who are searching for more privacy, while being connected nonetheless.
    I still laughed at your joke though 😇
    BBHermes likes this.
    01-29-15 02:42 PM
    Suggested replacements to gmail for BlackBerry users-img_20150129_134705.png

Anyone else get this email from Outlook?

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.1.1154
    01-29-15 03:56 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150129_134705.png 
Views:	633 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	330552

Anyone else get this email from Outlook?

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.1.1154
    Yep. I have many outlook.com email addresses. I got that same message for 3 of them about 2 weeks ago.

- Chris Murphy 
    01-29-15 04:57 PM
    ^Hence why I use the 2 stage authentication app on my phone. Hopefully it's trustworthy as it's not a Microsoft supplied application.
    01-29-15 05:08 PM
    ^Hence why I use the 2 stage authentication app on my phone. Hopefully it's trustworthy as it's not a Microsoft supplied application.
    I use strong passwords and two factor authentication. It's just with all the talk about google vs outlook I thought I better share.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.1.1154
    01-29-15 07:34 PM
    I switched to outlook.com almost a year ago, and I like it. It works very smoothly on BB10, and the web interface is quite good. The biggest drawback I've noticed so far is, you can't search the calendar in the web app. Fortunately you can do so on your BlackBerry so it's no problem.
    01-29-15 07:57 PM
168 ... 4567