Question. Doesn't email need to be encrypted at both ends to be secure?

Posted from my Classic.
    Yes this thread make me laugh. Its like a discussion of armoured cars for security and then you go visit your friends house and leave the windows down.
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-27-14 08:31 PM
    In today's context, it is impossible to replace Gmails since my account is 7-8 yrs old and many places it has been shared so not viable to replace.
    Blackberry should work more closely with Gmail to make more proficient. True, ourlook.com is very very quick and spam free while Google still supplies spams.

Prithvi, Z30 thru CB10
    12-27-14 08:34 PM
    Got my own domain name too and had it hosted along with email for personal and business like a previous poster does.

Had my Gmail for a long time and some of my friends connect with me through the account, that's why I haven't deleted it. Also use it for mostly spam and other non important emails.

Paying for an email service is the best way to go. Anything free comes with a catch. If you value your privacy, get a paid account.

Fastmail is quite good and not that bad for the price. I also bought my domain through gandi.net

via Z10-ER
    12-27-14 08:40 PM
    Outlook works great with BlackBerry

Be Proud
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-27-14 10:35 PM
    Yes this thread make me laugh. Its like a discussion of armoured cars for security and then you go visit your friends house and leave the windows down.
    Also don't forget that BlackBerry only lets you configure real end-to-end Email security for business users. The S/MIME support isn't even configurable for anything that isn't a "work" account. I find that quite annoying.

Of course no desktop Email client has made setting up S/MIME or PGP very "end-user friendly" to the extent that nobody but a handful of paranoid techies ever even bother to configure it. Then, with the proliferation of "web mail," the very possibility of using those features went straight out the window.
    12-27-14 10:47 PM
    I use Zoho. Can sign up without giving a phone number. Works great.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 10:49 PM
    It is an ongoing process, unfortunately, staying ahead of the script kiddies.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    seems a lot of work...time is always... well ...
    12-28-14 12:15 AM
    Privacy and email don't go together because email was never designed to be a private means of communication. Even if you were to encrypt your message, the headers will be in plain text for routing purposes. So anybody can see who is talking to whom. We know from the Snowden leaks that governments care about the meta data (headers). If you want secure and private information use a specifically designed messaging app like TextSecure. If you want to use email, it would probably be best to encrypt the message BEFORE you get onto the internet.
    Good points.

As for those "secure" alternatives, the user has no way of auditing the host's security policies and practices, so honestly you're better off just using Outlook.

Ultimately though if you're going to leave years worth of emails on a server somewhere (as opposed to downloading them to the PC and clearing from the server), they're going to be exposed to greater risk of attack.
    12-28-14 12:39 AM
    Try Zoho mail people. It is developed in India. No SPAM, No Ads.
    This too.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 01:54 AM
    I'm curiously surprised at how many recommend outlook.com! I would have considered any Microsoft product out of the running for security and privacy purposes by mere virtue of the fact that it is, er, a Microsoft product!

But so many of you so have have recommended it I'll at least take a look...
    Question. You seem to have, it seems like a prejudice towards Microsoft. I'm curious what leds you to feel this way?
    12-28-14 02:37 AM
    The best answer to this thread was provided by Smitty13. All of the other recommendations for "secure/private" email services are flawed in one way or another; logs, metadata, visible headers (IP, User Agent..), missing end-to-end encryption, storing emails on servers despite deletion from Trash, etc. Check with the email service provider for all of the above conditions to determine how private and secure they really are. the_simple_computer | A Resource for Security & Privacy
    BBHermes and Smitty13 like this.
    12-28-14 03:49 AM
    Does Outlook.com support contacts sync like gmail?

Sent from Z device
    12-28-14 04:00 AM
    I feel the same way, our constitution and bill of rights is supposed to protect us against any government and/or agency interfering with our privacy and those politicians up there in our capital use terrorism as an excuse to put it into the shredder.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    Totally this. ^^^

�   Remember the Reason for the Season, it's Him ...   �
    12-28-14 04:08 AM
    Fastmail.com the best for me.
    12-28-14 04:21 AM
    The best answer to this thread was provided by Smitty13. All of the other recommendations for "secure/private" email services are flawed in one way or another; logs, metadata, visible headers (IP, User Agent..), missing end-to-end encryption, storing emails on servers despite deletion from Trash, etc. Check with the email service provider for all of the above conditions to determine how private and secure they really are. the_simple_computer | A Resource for Security & Privacy
    We're talking gmail replacements here, if the thread title still matters. Gmail with its multitude of known problems and issues, that's what we're replacing...

Sure, unless you host yourself, there is no guarantee. Even then you could get targeted and compromised. I'm using Hushmail, and I'm happy. Security and service/support is good, but it's probably far away from being NSA-proof...

So, we're talking "gmail replacements" OR super-secure impenetrable e-mail of some kind ... ? :-)

�   Remember the Reason for the Season, it's Him ...   �
    BBHermes likes this.
    12-28-14 04:28 AM
    So, we're talking "gmail replacements" OR super-secure impenetrable e-mail of some kind ... ? :-)

•   Remember the Reason for the Season, it's Him ...   •
    Well, the OP mentioned his reasons for gmail alternatives as being, in part, security/privacy issues. Therefore, the alternatives suggested should be conscious of those issues. Suggesting a Microsoft solution over Google won't help in this case.

It's been a while since I've read up on Hushmail's security, but they've made headlines years ago when they handed over one of their user's email account to authorities. They hold your encryption keys on their end, unless that changed since the time this happened: Encrypted E-Mail Company Hushmail Spills to Feds | WIRED
    chalx, Smitty13 and BBHermes like this.
    12-28-14 05:03 AM
    Presently, I'm transitioning my email away from gmail (which takes a considerable effort, changing all the associated accounts, etc.). We're fairly adept with Linux servers and host our email. For most users the best alternative is to buy the service. If it really matters to someone, then the costs are insignificant (1/2 a tank of gas, a few cups of coffee?).
    12-28-14 08:28 AM
    Ok BB. How about giving us an email service.

Posted via CB10
    bakron1 likes this.
    12-28-14 10:27 AM
    Hi guys. You can email me at "malazm at bb dot com"

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 10:31 AM
    Does Outlook.com support contacts sync like gmail?

Sent from Z device
    Yes. Contacts. Calendar. Tasks.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.0.1418
    radek_reach likes this.
    12-28-14 12:24 PM
    Question. You seem to have, it seems like a prejudice towards Microsoft. I'm curious what leds you to feel this way?
    I'm not prejudiced towards MS, I prefer some of their recent OS's for desktop purposes even... But there are legions of objective reasons to be concerned about their business practices in general over the past couple of decades, and with trusting them with security and private matters in particular.

MS is not as powerful as it used to be but anyone familiar with their history would be irresponsible to merely trust them on security and privacy matters without sober investigation first.

Just search for something like 'reasons to avoid Microsoft software products' and you'll come up with lots of history. For example, I just discovered this very dated but detailed post:

http://www.kmfms.com/whatsbad.html

There's a whole lot more that could be said about this in terms of ethics, etc., but I'll stop here.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 12:30 PM
    I'd gladly pay for a specialty BB email service.... but for now its outlook
    bakron1 likes this.
    12-28-14 01:22 PM
    I use Yandex mail service and I feel it is safer than Gmail. No ads and it supports linux aswell

Posted via CB10
    12-28-14 01:42 PM
    I am not talking from a security standpoint at all, so take this as you will. I am only speaking from a speed standpoint, and how it works flawlessly and quickly from the email provider to the BlackBerry device.

My company used to use Gmail to handle and sync all of our customers contacts, calendar schedules, and emails. When a customer contact was added or edited from the desktop Gmail, it would take up to 24 hours sometimes to land on the BlackBerry contacts. When adding or updating a calendar event from the desktop, it would take roughly 15 minutes to hit the BlackBerry calendar.

We have since switched to Outlook.com, and I was blown away by the sync speed. I was extremely excited because my employees no longer had to wait for the info to land on their company provided BlackBerry. When adding or updating a contact or calendar event, it is literally instantaneous to be on the BlackBerry. In our testing, it hits the BlackBerry almost as soon as the save button is clicked on the desktop.

So speaking purely from a flawless and speed standpoint between Gmail and outlook.com, outlook has literally made my job so much easier since we switched. As far as security goes, if the customer isn't on a secure email provider, your email isn't secure either (correct me if I'm wrong).

- Chris Murphy 
    BBHermes likes this.
    12-28-14 02:00 PM
    Privacy and email don't go together because email was never designed to be a private means of communication. Even if you were to encrypt your message, the headers will be in plain text for routing purposes. So anybody can see who is talking to whom. We know from the Snowden leaks that governments care about the meta data (headers). If you want secure and private information use a specifically designed messaging app like TextSecure. If you want to use email, it would probably be best to encrypt the message BEFORE you get onto the internet.
    I completely agree with your statement that email was never designed to be a secure means of communication. It astonishes some people that I talk to that the protocol email was built upon is actually a couple of decades old. Call it what you will, but the idea of encryption was not implemented as it should have been when this protocol was first invented. Had a bit more forethought went into it, we could have seen a starkly different email landscape than what we have today.

That said, there are even some webmail companies that are seeking to remedy the pitfalls of the current lax security email employs. If you look to recent start up Tutanota.de, you will see that they have already started to obfuscate metadata and are working on bring full obfuscation to the sender and receiver. How soon this will come to light is anyone's guess, but at least this is being worked upon and I truly believe this will become a reality sooner rather than later (Source: Interview: Tutanota CEO on Security, Encryption and the NSA - Softpedia)

Additionally, we see Darkmail.info, in collaboration with Silent Circle, working on an email client that encrypt all metadata out of the gate once they leave beta testing. (Souce: Secure Email and Cloud Alternatives to Gmail and Dropbox).

While there certainly are pitfalls to current email systems, I am highly optimistic that in the near future these glaring security holes will be fixed.
    BBHermes and R3d13 like this.
    12-28-14 02:22 PM
168 ... 23456 ...