Bought my own domain name, have them host it, and use Thunderbird or Outlook for personal computer.
    Paul Callahan likes this.
    12-27-14 12:55 PM
    For email where personal privacy is important I run my own server. I use TLS on the SMTP port. Many servers don't support this yet, but many do.

For less important email I am moving from Gmail to Outlook.Com. Rather than tell people, I just forward my Gmail to Outlook and reply from Outlook. Their email clients eventually make the change.
    I suppose one have to know what he is doing to set up that kind of system....
    BBHermes likes this.
    12-27-14 01:12 PM
    I use Outlook for personal, less spam than Gmail, calender, tasks, notes all good.
    And office365 for business, it's active sync, so really quick and has all the features that outlook has plus more for �40 a year

 Z10
    12-27-14 01:42 PM
    I suppose one have to know what he is doing to set up that kind of system....
    Or learn it. It is not without its drawbacks but I have as much storage as I want to pay for, SPAM filtering that is very nearly as good as Google's, and no one is targeting adds at me base on the email I receive there.
    12-27-14 01:45 PM
    I use Outlook.com, plus have a home/office subscription to the Office apps at about $9.00 a month for five people to have access to Office Apps on their computers/devices. In addition the Office365 gives you about a terabyte of storage per user in skydrive/onedrive.

In regards to security/privacy, I have a friend that has been in the IT and consulting business since the 1980's and he says don't put anything in email that you don't want on the front page of the paper some day. The Sony hacking is an example of this.
    12-27-14 02:29 PM
    Gmail, Hotmail-Outlook... same s***, don't bother, both of them are sneaking a look at the private emails. Simply, there is no privacy.
    BBHermes likes this.
    12-27-14 02:59 PM
    I think this is largely in part not due to Microsoft's firm stance on customer privacy and the like, it is due to the fact that if this ruling goes through in the US courts, Microsoft will systematically have to break EU laws in regards to client privacy to satisfy the demands of the US courts.

In comparison to the US, the EU has some very strict laws in regards to customer privacy that all companies must adhere to. This is not an issue of American vs. Irish law, but a case of American vs. EU law, which is a whole different ball of wax unto itself.

In complying with the demands of the US courts, Microsoft will inevitably be penalized by the EU which translates into potential billions of dollars in contracts and revenue lost. I firmly believe it is the potential money that may be lost which is the driving force behind this push back rather than standing up for customers' privacy rights.

Microsoft has time and time again shown that domestically within the USA, they are more than happy to comply with any of the demands from the 3 letter agencies.
    12-27-14 03:37 PM
    Greetings,

I'm thinking of getting rid of gmail, in part out of privacy/security concerns. Not sure what to consider for a replacement: But who better to ask than the BB community, for whom security is a middle name. So my question:

What do you guys recommend for a secure, private, imap, email service? What are the best, most-user-friendly options? Of course, it must be BB-friendly!

Thanks
    Hey there,

I have personally tried Openmailbox.org in the past and have had great success with it. Generally speaking they have been pretty decent to work with as they use open source software, full disk encryption, and are incorporated in France. They have all the features you have listed including a calendar and storage. I have been able to successfully set up the account through BB10 and have it on my hub without any issues.

See a quick run down of it here: the_simple_computer | A Resource for Security & Privacy and a brief check list on it's features here: Privacy-Conscious Email Services.
    Last edited by Smitty13; 12-27-14 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
    BBHermes likes this.
    12-27-14 03:42 PM
    Or learn it. It is not without its drawbacks but I have as much storage as I want to pay for, SPAM filtering that is very nearly as good as Google's, and no one is targeting adds at me base on the email I receive there.
    yes on the learning process but one has to have the time for it....

How long before someone knows how to do it????
    12-27-14 03:47 PM
    12-27-14 04:47 PM
    I use use outlook and it works fine for me.

Posted from my Classic.
    12-27-14 04:49 PM
    MyKolab seems to make at least a token effort at being BB-friendly:

https://kolabsys.com/news/blackberry...pware-solution
    "Blackberry Z10 supports Kolab Groupware Solution"

https://mykolab.com/features
    "This works with all devices that support ActiveSync, such as Android, iPhone or Blackberry Z10."

Not sure if this gives MyKolab any competitive advantage over neomailbox but it's nice to see this kind of mention...
    Just bought a Kolab email account, easy to setup, just got rid of 2 Gmail accounts 7+ years old and 1 yahoo account and 1 Outlook account.

Classic Passport
    BBHermes and SmileDahling like this.
    12-27-14 04:54 PM
    Outlook functions very well on BB10. I use it. I also use Gmail and Yahoo with no issues.

As for privacy, I have a Protonmail account, but it has to be accessed through the browser (no IMAP support yet). I'd use it a lot if it weren't for the lack of IMAP. Also, it's not really secure unless whoever you're emailing is using it also, and you have privately shared the decryption key.

I would pay BlackBerry for email like I used to have on BIS. It should be paid and ad free. That would be worth it. It seems like it would be another excellent use for BlackBerry's n.o.c.
    12-27-14 04:57 PM
    Question. Doesn't email need to be encrypted at both ends to be secure?

Posted from my Classic.
    12-27-14 05:06 PM
    I've been using Fastmail for many years now, and it works great. In addition to the Email piece, they also support calendaring (CalDAV) and are in the process of working on contacts (CardDAV).

I still use Google for my contacts, but once Fastmail's solution is out of beta (or generally more available), I'll be 100% Gmail-free for my personal PIM stuff.

They're not free, but I'd rather use a service I pay for than one that has to find "alternative" means of paying their bills.
    12-27-14 05:14 PM
    Zoho is upcoming

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 05:18 PM
    All this talk of privacy, sheesh. Sounds like some folks would be better off with a box of pens and a few reams of paper lol.
    TgeekB, mkelley65 and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    12-27-14 05:19 PM
    Outlook and Hotmail for me. I haven't checked my yahoo account in over two years, too much spam. Gmail wasn't even an option for me.
    12-27-14 05:21 PM
    yes on the learning process but one has to have the time for it....

How long before someone knows how to do it????
    It is an ongoing process, unfortunately, staying ahead of the script kiddies.

Z10STL100-3/10.3.1.1154
    Alain_A likes this.
    12-27-14 05:30 PM
    All this talk of privacy, sheesh. Sounds like some folks would be better off with a box of pens and a few reams of paper lol.
    Don't forget the disappearing ink.

Posted from my Classic.
    PonyCrazyKid likes this.
    12-27-14 05:45 PM
    Just bought a Kolab email account, easy to setup, just got rid of 2 Gmail accounts 7+ years old and 1 yahoo account and 1 Outlook account.
    Interesting! Do you have any thoughts or comments so far on your experience? Especially compared to the three services you dropped?
    12-27-14 05:54 PM
    Did you already forget how the Facebook creator said he was against it and the next day, the awesome Snowden proved how it was a lie?
    Sorry, but I would be more comfortable with the NSA shuffling through pictures of my grandkids, (or even client mail) than the "awesome Snowden." At least the NSA won't be selling them to the highest bidder.
    12-27-14 05:57 PM
    I migrated my personal stuff away from Gmail over to Outlook about a year ago, and so far so good.
    12-27-14 07:28 PM
    Is there any where i dont have to give phone number when signing up
    12-27-14 07:57 PM
    Okay, so maybe this sounds but I've got two Gmail accounts and 2 Yahoo accounts. All of which are at least more than a few years old and my contacts are very used to them. If I made the switch to say, Outlook...it would be a nightmare getting all my contacts to email me correctly. So do I just import all my contacts and send one massive email saying to use this new email? I mean I'm gonna be buried with this cell number, it would be impossible to give this up.

Posted by Rosco from my VZW Q10
    actually, outlook.com has very SIMPLE migration from Gmail tool. just few steps, and all your contacts/emails are copied to outlook.com

then - just set up automatic forward of all your new gmails (if wanted) and that's it

by the way - I just did like that
    Chrisy likes this.
    12-27-14 08:06 PM
168 12345 ...