Startpage.com

Posted via CB10
    Xenolock, BBHermes and tli2000 like this.
    12-27-14 02:41 AM
    I made the switch to Outlook from Gmail and I've never looked back.

Posted via CB10
    theRock1975 likes this.
    12-27-14 03:00 AM
    http://degooglisons-internet.org/

Posted via CB10
    Just Me likes this.
    12-27-14 03:14 AM
    Outlook all the way. Simple and easy to use with no spam!

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 03:58 AM
    They are trying to change things, though I agree nobody should have to jump through hoops to have privacy over their own e-mails.
    I feel the same way, our constitution and bill of rights is supposed to protect us against any government and/or agency interfering with our privacy and those politicians up there in our capital use terrorism as an excuse to put it into the shredder.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA
    12-27-14 03:59 AM
    ^^This^^

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 04:05 AM
    I usually recommend Outlook.com for personal use. It's not quite as good for business use because of only one limit: 1500 contact maximum and a limit on the memo/notes size for each contact.

If it wasn't for that limit, I'd be recommending it even more.
    Like some other services, you can set it up to retrieve email from other accounts and drop it right into your Outlook.com inbox or a separate folder if desired.
    You can then gradually tell your contacts about your new email address over time.

Also, it's the most comprehensive free email service that allows you to use it on just about any device and sync Email, Contacts and Calendar. You can use Windows Live Mail, Microsoft Outlook, Android, iOS, BB10, BBOS7, Windows Phone, but maybe not Mac OSX, except through the web browser.
    12-27-14 04:23 AM
    Outlook.com here too
    12-27-14 05:20 AM
    Can you name a few? I came across this link

10 Google Gmail Alternatives

but doesn't really say much about security or privacy...
    I don't think you should take that list seriously. These are not explicit alternatives when you're looking for a more privacy focused or security focused email service. They recommend Facebook email as one of the alternatives. And Yahoo Mail and Outlook. These alternatives do they very same as Gmail, so in that case, you'd just may stay with Gmail.

I would love a secure and privacy focused email service, for which I'll gladly pay. Like if SpiderOak were to release an email service, I'd sign up!
    12-27-14 05:22 AM
    i use outlook.com and have had no problems with it at all
    12-27-14 05:48 AM
    outlook for personal for sure...for enterprise someone will chime in
    Outlook.com is just Hotmail on the back end with a better GUI on the front end.

I.e. Looks better but still features the unending plethora of security flaws as Hotmail.

Z10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-27-14 06:41 AM
    Startmail https://www.startmail.com/ looks promising. It is on my shortlist of options to check out if I ever give up Yahoo mail. None of the big free email services, gmail, Yahoo, AOL, Outlook, are all that private because you are an advertising opportunity but they do give some value in spam and anti virus protection plus storage capacity. You might want to have two email accounts: a free one for forums, online purchases, newsletters, etc and a second paid private account used only by friend s family.
    BBHermes and tli2000 like this.
    12-27-14 07:45 AM
    When it comes to security I am not concerned about the nsa and gchq being able to spy on my amazon order confirmations. They will do what they do, whatever.

I am concerned about spam and ********* hackers commandeering my account though. Outlook has so far kept me secure from these types of threats and so I am content with the security provided.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, BBHermes and srfinva like this.
    12-27-14 08:05 AM
    Okay, so maybe this sounds but I've got two Gmail accounts and 2 Yahoo accounts. All of which are at least more than a few years old and my contacts are very used to them. If I made the switch to say, Outlook...it would be a nightmare getting all my contacts to email me correctly. So do I just import all my contacts and send one massive email saying to use this new email? I mean I'm gonna be buried with this cell number, it would be impossible to give this up.

Posted by Rosco from my VZW Q10
    When I switched to Outlook (because of new PC functions) I was able to get the same email before the "@". Ex. me @ gmail.com became me @ outlook.com. I went into Gmail and set up forwarding so all those that still sent mail to my Gmail were still able to contact me. I then began to politely ask people to switch their contact info over Outlook.

If you do sent out a mass notification, please put the contacts in the BCC section. Either way, forwarding the Gmail to the new account will make sure you don't miss anything valuable.
    PonyCrazyKid and Xenolock like this.
    12-27-14 08:09 AM
    I usually recommend Outlook.com for personal use. It's not quite as good for business use because of only one limit: 1500 contact maximum and a limit on the memo/notes size for each contact.
    This is extremely interesting to me. I *thought* I was well over 1,500 contacts, if not I must be very close. When I get back to the office where my work BlackBerry is I will need to check in this. If this limit is true, and there is no walk around to get more contacts allowed, this will change my opinion on using Outlook for business and I will need to look elsewhere. Thank you for the info. I need to look into this further.

Swiped on a beautiful AMOLED BlackBerry.
    12-27-14 08:29 AM
    I would love a secure and privacy focused email service, for which I'll gladly pay. Like if SpiderOak were to release an email service, I'd sign up!
    As mentioned in an earlier post, it seems we're down to

Secure Email Hosting - Anonymous Surfing - Encrypted Email Service - Offshore Email Accounts , https://mykolab.com , or https://runbox.com/

MADBRADNYC mentioned https://startpage.com/ , which led me to discover

https://www.startmail.com/

All require payment but, as the MyKolab people say, "if real privacy is desired it comes at a price"
    12-27-14 08:40 AM
    Startpage.com

They also have https://www.startmail.com/ which is worth looking at...
    12-27-14 08:42 AM
    Privacy and email don't go together because email was never designed to be a private means of communication. Even if you were to encrypt your message, the headers will be in plain text for routing purposes. So anybody can see who is talking to whom. We know from the Snowden leaks that governments care about the meta data (headers). If you want secure and private information use a specifically designed messaging app like TextSecure. If you want to use email, it would probably be best to encrypt the message BEFORE you get onto the internet.
    12-27-14 09:00 AM

They also have https://www.startmail.com/ which is worth looking at...
    Yeah. Sorry about that. I could have added the link for StartMail but didn't think about it. Most people find it like you did when they look around StartPage.

I always recommend it.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-14 09:04 AM
    I have used Gmail the last few years, but I do miss my old BlackBerry email address and I would be willing to pay a fee if they ever where to consider bringing it back again.

I know allot of folks tell me to go the outlook route, but to me, all of these tech companies here in the USA have caved in to the NSA and they are no better than Google in that regard.

Sent from my lovely passport on T Mobile USA

What makes your believe that blackberry isn't any different?? im sure that NASA they have probably carved their way into blackberry as well....possibility im wrong but......
    12-27-14 11:04 AM
    Outlook.com is just Hotmail on the back end with a better GUI on the front end.

I.e. Looks better but still features the unending plethora of security flaws as Hotmail.

Z10
    probably....as I don't work in a secure environment that is why I said someone will chime in for enterprise level...
    12-27-14 11:40 AM
    I'm sure 99% of the people in this thread have high level security matters in their emails, thus need to ensure complete privacy. :eyeroll:

give me a break....
    Toodeurep, King Dack and Chrisy like this.
    12-27-14 11:47 AM
    I been using fastmail for email communication for my resume and I had this for over 15 yrs; you have to pay but it interfaces with bb10 well and the Web interface is great. www.fastmail.com.

Posted from the Q10, because glass just doesn't cut it.
    SmileDahling and Oshasat like this.
    12-27-14 11:53 AM
    For email where personal privacy is important I run my own server. I use TLS on the SMTP port. Many servers don't support this yet, but many do.

For less important email I am moving from Gmail to Outlook.Com. Rather than tell people, I just forward my Gmail to Outlook and reply from Outlook. Their email clients eventually make the change.
    12-27-14 11:54 AM
    I'm sticking w/Gmail for now. Security is a concern for me, but I'm not convinced Outlook protects my data any better than Google.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.1.1154
    BBHermes likes this.
    12-27-14 12:41 PM
168 1234 ...