Greetings,
    Someone please take a minute to help me think this through (and sorry yes this is about my spouse, who I sadly have some suspicions about). I'd really appreciate some help. Here's the issue that I'm hoping someone can help me with:

In her blackberry call, she has several missed called from "PRIVATE". (just like that, in CAPS). Its not someone who dialed her with "*67" before dialing her number - that would read: "Private caller". and its not from another blackberry user who had "Restrict my Identity" turned on (that would read: " Restricted").

Heres the interesting part: Each time, a few minutes later, she also has in the log, an outbound call to "PRIVATE" as well. I can't find an entry for "PRIVATE" anywhere in her address book or in speeddial.

If she is returning the calls, the device must somehow know the phone number, (I mean, you can't return a call from someone who has restricted their number, right?)

I need to find out what that phone number is. So far, all I can come up with is to use her phone, go into call log, and call "PRIVATE" back from there, (I'd turn her "Restrict my Identity" on first, so they couldnt tell who the call was from.) That might get the person on the other end to answer, or at least I might get a voice mail that I could learn from, buuuuuuuut thats pretty drastic - does anyone have any other ideas?

Any help is greatly appreciated..

Thanks
    09-02-07 01:38 AM
    Not sure on that one. However, if I select "Restrict My Identy" on my BB then when I call my house it shows "Private." When I call another cell phone on a different network, it shows "Withheld." I'm assuming that what it says just depends on the network being called.

When I call my TMo BB from my landline with *67 it shows "unknown number" on my BB caller ID. When I call my BB from a phone that has "identity restricted" it still shows as "unknown number."

Im sure that makes it all clear as mud.
    Last edited by John Clark; 09-02-07 at 01:52 AM.
    09-02-07 01:47 AM
    Well, firstly, sorry to hear about your suspicions. It's a difficult one for 'us' forum user to assist with, since it's to do with family, etc...

Nonetheless, if we can all stick to the question at hand. I suggest, go to the addressbook, then SIM Phone Book - anything there?
    09-02-07 01:49 AM
    Oh, yeah, forgot about the sim phone book....

Go to Address book, then hit the menu key and selec Sim Phone Book from the menu.
    09-02-07 01:54 AM
    Nope.. the SIM address book is empty
    09-02-07 02:06 AM
    Not sure on that one. However, if I select "Restrict My Identy" on my BB then when I call my house it shows "Private." When I call another cell phone on a different network, it shows "Withheld." I'm assuming that what it says just depends on the network being called.

When I call my TMo BB from my landline with *67 it shows "unknown number" on my BB caller ID. When I call my BB from a phone that has "identity restricted" it still shows as "unknown number."

Im sure that makes it all clear as mud.
    Yes, John I was aware that it differes slightly be network.. however, the strange thing is that she can call "PRIVATE" back - -thats what doesnt make any sense... that means the device must know the number somehow - -as if its a stored address or something...other ideas?
    09-02-07 02:10 AM
    Not sure what else to suggest here. Sorry.

Anyone else?
    09-02-07 02:12 AM
    If the number is stored in the address book then you should be able to highlight the "PRIVATE" in the phone app and and select "view contact." If it's not in the address book, the "view contact" option will not appear. Beyond that, I'm pulling a blank.
    09-02-07 03:04 AM
    Hmm, I take it she only has one sim?
    09-02-07 06:56 AM
    Yes, she has only one SIM

Also, to the idea of highlighting "Private" and then "viewing the address", it doesnt give me that option when I highlight it - which means (I think) its not in the address book right..? (I did also look at the address book directly - there are 30+ entries - tey are all "normal" names, none of them are "PRIVATE"...

is it possible theres some ort of software she downloaded to hide addresses somehow? (Im quite sure she has no idea I have acess to her blackberry, so i dont think she's have any reason to - and she's not that technically savvy, but I'm running out of ideas..)
    09-02-07 08:00 AM
    Now I'd really like to know what she's done.

If you go the the address book and start to type 'pri', does anything come up?

At this point, I'd just ask her, how's you get 'private' listed as a call?
    09-02-07 09:18 AM
    Hi there why dont you hide her caller id give the number a mised call keep note of the date and time and then check on ebilling if she has that or wait for the bill to come in.. or you could select it from the call log and see if it lets you send tex to the name and send a blank tex and see if that gives ya the number on delivery report...... good luck
    09-02-07 10:39 AM
    Just check the phone bill. that's how people usually get caught cheating
    09-08-07 03:18 AM
    Awww. Would make me feel like Nancy Drew reading some of the suggestions.
    Anyway hope you figure this mystery out and its not for the worst.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-07 05:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD