This is going to sound odd but, here it goes.

Twice over the past month, I have been woken up in the middle of the night by some really strange noises coming from my BB Pearl.
    The latest episode being at 3:30 this morning.
    The BB is being used as an alarm clock at the time, it's next to my bed and it's in bedside mode.
    I don't know how to describe the noise coming from it other than it sounds like static but, that doesn't really do it justice.
    It's just very, very strange kind of noises.
    The noises only last for 10 seconds or so.
    The first time it happened, it stopped before I had a chance to grab the phone to see what the @#!! was going on.
    When it happened this morning, I did grab the phone expecting to see maybe something on the screen but, there was nothing unusual on the screen.

I bought the phone new, June of this year and as far as I know, it's working properly.
    At least for all that I've used it for so far.

You might be thinking I'm dreaming or crazy but, i'm definitely not dreaming. The crazy part, well, you might have an argument there.

Has anyone ever had this happen, heard of this happening or, have any ideas as to what might be causing this?
    Low battery can be ruled out because that was not the case when this happened both times.

Thanks
    12-07-10 08:15 PM
    That sounds odd. Have friends had access to it to set a weird sound up as an alarm?
    12-07-10 09:18 PM
    I thought this might be another barking blackberry thread... I'm sorely disappointed.

Sounds like some kind of electrical glitch on or near the BB's speakers. Do you live near a source of EM radiation? Do your neighbours mess around with Tesla coils?

Or it could be a corrupted sound file attached to a particular event trigger (calender event?).

Your BB could have been temporarly possesed by a demon.

You could be on some interesting ... suppliments (vitamins T, H and C, pehaprs L, S and D).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-10 10:00 PM
    That sounds odd. Have friends had access to it to set a weird sound up as an alarm?
    Not that i'm aware of. The noise was coming from the phone before the alarm was scheduled to go off.

I thought this might be another barking blackberry thread... I'm sorely disappointed.

Sounds like some kind of electrical glitch on or near the BB's speakers. Do you live near a source of EM radiation? Do your neighbours mess around with Tesla coils?

Or it could be a corrupted sound file attached to a particular event trigger (calender event?).

Your BB could have been temporarly possesed by a demon.

You could be on some interesting ... suppliments (vitamins T, H and C, pehaprs L, S and D).

You know, you might be on to something.
    These two incidents happened since my new neighbour, Nick Tesla moved in and, oddly enough, it was after I went through the Stargate after watching Supernatural, to get vitamins h,a,h,a.
    12-08-10 06:04 AM
    Does it happen every night and with any predictable frequency? Have you considered staying up late enough to see it happen? Try setting the clock 12hrs ahgead/behind to see if that would change anything, maybe get it to do it in the afternoon.

There have been a few reports of some news feeds making strange noises. Have you just recently installed any apps?

12-08-10 06:40 AM
    Do you have the event sounds turned on?
    I have mine on and when it is in the charging pod, it comes up on bedside mode. When the battery is fully charged it does make a sound.
    12-08-10 05:32 PM
    ... the noise coming from it other than it sounds like static ...
    If your BlackBerry uses EDGE, it can cause nearby speaker to emit static like noise. It usually happens when it is seeking a signal and stops once it locks on to EDGE or UMA.

Try moving it away from anything with a speaker, 1M/3' is enough to prevent it.
    12-08-10 05:57 PM
    Does it happen every night and with any predictable frequency? Have you considered staying up late enough to see it happen? Try setting the clock 12hrs ahgead/behind to see if that would change anything, maybe get it to do it in the afternoon.

There have been a few reports of some news feeds making strange noises. Have you just recently installed any apps?

It has happened only twice that i'm aware of since I got the BB back in June and, I've used the alarm clock feature pretty much since the day I got it.
    No recently installed apps either.

Do you have the event sounds turned on?
    I have mine on and when it is in the charging pod, it comes up on bedside mode. When the battery is fully charged it does make a sound.
    Checked to make sure and, it's not turned on.

If your BlackBerry uses EDGE, it can cause nearby speaker to emit static like noise. It usually happens when it is seeking a signal and stops once it locks on to EDGE or UMA.

Try moving it away from anything with a speaker, 1M/3' is enough to prevent it.
    Had to Google EDGE and UMA.
    I'm ruling out EDGE because based on what I read, there is only one company in Canada that uses EDGE and i'm not a customer of that company.

Could be that UMA might be what has caused the two incidents.
    The nightstand I put the BB on, also has a clock radio on it.
    So, maybe the noise was actually coming from the clock radio speaker and not the BB.
    Adding to that, I also have my computers wireless router set up in my bedroom and I leave the BB Wi-Fi function on all the time.

If it happens again, hopefully I'll wake up in enough time to check the clock radio speaker to hear if the noise is actually coming from that.

Thanks for the EDGE and UMA suggestion, and thank you to the others who offered tips and suggestions.
    12-08-10 08:03 PM
    [QUOTE=Sarcasm Detector;5846259]I thought this might be another barking blackberry thread... I'm sorely disappointed.

my thoughts too lol - this is just getting better all the time!

OP - sorry for the laugh and I do hope you get it solved ....
    12-08-10 09:41 PM
    Ok I'm gonna start here because my 9930 just did the same thing yesterday. It was charging while I was taking a nap and then I was awaken by this "static" "hissing" sound coming from my phone. I could feel "air" coming from the back of the phone at the speaker port. The only other way I can think to describe it is that it was like it was releasing pressure or something to that effect. I can rule out the edge theory because I have a cdma device.
    I tried shutting the phone down and the noise continued even when off. Finally I did a alt-shift-del and that seemed to have taken care of it for the moment. I am wondering if you came up with a solution or if anyone else has experienced this lately. Any help or guidance is appreciated.
    12-04-11 11:14 AM
    I've heard this noise once on my OS 6 9650. I noticed it in the morning, and think it had been going on all night. (I forget why I suspected that part.) I did a battery pull. The noise stopped, and it has never happened again.
    12-04-11 11:24 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I hope this is an isolated incident. Love my phone and expect a lot from it. Would hate to start having issues.

12-04-11 11:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD