As I read over the multitude of posts of Cassandra like foretelling of RIM�s imminent demise, proselytizing of RIM�s stodginess, moaning about RIM�s fall in the marketplace, and whining about RIM�s lack of �hip and trendy� handsets; I am taken back to a younger me and my experience at that time. Back then I was a marketing rep for a major manufacturer of wireless equipment who was facing much of the same issues.

A hot, hip new brand was taking the marketplace by storm. Our carrier partners were all singing the same song. �When are you going to come out with something like that?� they all asked. �Word on the street is you�re bleeding and about to go under� they�d say (not without the press tossing fuel into the fire mind you). �Your operating system is ancient and outdated.� �I can�t sell these anymore, they (the public) all want the new hot�.

To add to the issue our �Ship of state� (so to speak) had suffered several high profile defections to competitors and truth be told our stock value was plummeting faster than skylab. Naturally this lead to no small amount of cynicism at the annual gathering of reps as we were told of �exciting happenings on the horizon� and that the company was �focused on the future� . I (being a true believer) kept the faith until victimized by the infamous downsize monster that looms for all marketing types. Even as I moved on into my present career I kept tabs with some of my fellows still plugging away in the hopes change will come.

So what happened? I eventually abandoned that company�s on a whim to �give blackberry a try� only to watch that same company regain a fair portion of their good name by being the first to release a new handset using at the time a brand new (albeit a bit buggy) OS, even being so bold as to name it after the OS. The end result? While not being the dominant player they once were their rep was salvaged more than enough. Oh and that hot and hip brand from that time? Haven�t heard much about them lately�though they are out there�somewhere. If you�re wondering whom I�m referring to I�ll just say the letters M and N sometimes come to mind.
    11-11-11 06:39 PM
    M*****A and N***A

But in reference to your post, I think it is more of a cycle. For example Nokia used to be the greatest and the best, people got bored of nokia's and moved onto something else. As much as something may be cool or hip or trendy, everyone can only handle owning the same technology as everyone for some long, The majority of the market will want to move on to something new which offers them the same accessability and practicallity but isn't as 'popular' I think this is what will happen to Blackberry, They are in a slump at the moment, but wait for people to start realising "oh S*** everyone has these god damn iphones and androids i want to be an individual with something cooler" This is where I think the blackberry will make a return. An all touch screen isn't what will do it for RIM though.

Food for thought :-)
    JRoman2k10 likes this.
    11-11-11 08:22 PM
    Spot on Zgods. RIM has made its share of errors but then so has every other handset maker (though some have better spin doctors than others). I for one have no intention of abandoning my Blackberry or my Playbook for the "flavor of the moment". I am not above admitting that the reborn RAZR looks sweet but looks aren't the total package. I'm trusting that BBX will do for the Blackberry what the original RAZR and Droid did for M
    11-12-11 08:12 AM
    M*****A and N***A

But in reference to your post, I think it is more of a cycle. For example Nokia used to be the greatest and the best, people got bored of nokia's and moved onto something else. As much as something may be cool or hip or trendy, everyone can only handle owning the same technology as everyone for some long, The majority of the market will want to move on to something new which offers them the same accessability and practicallity but isn't as 'popular' I think this is what will happen to Blackberry, They are in a slump at the moment, but wait for people to start realising "oh S*** everyone has these god damn iphones and androids i want to be an individual with something cooler" This is where I think the blackberry will make a return. An all touch screen isn't what will do it for RIM though.

Hey Zgods,
    You paraphrased my thoughts on User Fatigue from another thread.
    I think I should sue you for Thought Infringement. Would get a free beer out of it
    11-12-11 08:25 AM
    M*****A and N***A

I always hated how every Nokia I bought had the same damn font!
    11-12-11 08:41 AM
    OP,
    But this did not end well for M. And N is still struggling and the future is still bleak.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-12-11 08:49 AM
    To me that all lies with how their purchase by Google will affect the quality, and culture. It will make for interesting times.
    11-12-11 10:39 AM
    To me that all lies with how their purchase by Google will affect the quality, and culture. It will make for interesting times.
    Motorola commited to Android some time back. Google buying them and for the first time having control over hardware is something to sit up and notice.
    You are right. It would make for interesting times. Google having software+hardware would have a certain impact. How they balance it with being a purely software provider to Samsung, HTC,LG and a score of low budget licensees remains to be seen.
    Samsung is trying with BADA and WinMo. This might be the start of an all new OS war. Only time will tell.
    In all this I would lean heavily on RIM and Apple. Only two companies who maintain their exclusivity on hardware and software.
    11-12-11 02:51 PM
    OP,
    But this did not end well for M. And N is still struggling and the future is still bleak.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    And both ditched their operating systems they designed in-house towards OS developed by another company (Android and WinMo respectively).
    11-12-11 04:07 PM
    As I read over the multitude of posts of Cassandra like foretelling of RIM�s imminent demise, proselytizing of RIM�s stodginess, moaning about RIM�s fall in the marketplace, and whining about RIM�s lack of �hip and trendy� handsets
    A year and a half ago (or more), most of the moaning and lamenting on here WAS for lack of "hip and trendy" handsets, due to the fact RIM was just rehashing the same old same old stuff in different packages, and not keeping up with everyone else.

Now? They've made some strides in some of those previous lacking areas, but the reason people are "moaning and whining" about RIM is due to their lack of character and foresight. Telling and promising consumers one thing, and then not delivering, and even hanging your "New" young gun out to dry and making him look bad is the real problem. THIS is why most are moaning and whining nowadays. Because we're sick of it. People who've been on these forums for the better part of 3 years have seen a LOT of promises come and go. So when new promises or made...well..as Dubya put it best: "Fool me once... shame on... shame on you...If fooled, you can't get fooled again."
    11-12-11 04:46 PM
    I'm one to abide by Public Enemy's mantra..."Don't believe the hype" when it comes promises made by manufacturers. Case in point I first heard the term 3g in regards to cellular technology back during M's pre-droid days (anyone still have a V-series handset gathering dust??) here we are 10 years on and there still isn't a clear cut defining of what makes a phone 3g (and we'll just set 4g on the shelf lest we find need of a stiff drink to de-frazzle our nerves.) Personally though I would have much preferred RIM taking Blizzard/Activision's attitude to it all "when its ready...its ready". In fact I am wondering if that isn't the tack they are taking (without being up front about it) After all (In relation to the Playbook) if EA games seed fit to port some of their most high profile titles to a seemingly dying platform you have to ask...what do they know that we don't? My perspective is based on experience as a reseller, market rep, and (most importantly) a consumer. Faith is a tough thing to have in this day of want it now but I do have faith in RIM (even if some may see it as misguided)
    11-12-11 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD