So Ex.fm sent me and email regarding there partnership with Rhapsody, and I saw that there was no BlackBerry App. I had asked why not make BlackBerry App as well. And this was the response.
    Pretty sure everyone thinks like this and reason no one develops there app for BlackBerry.
    Story of BlackBerry App life-img_20140804_191527.png

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 06:17 PM
    If BlackBerry 10 was going to "land", it would have done so already unfortunately
    tr1ad likes this.
    08-04-14 06:20 PM
    If BlackBerry 10 was going to "land", it would have done so already unfortunately
    Don't know that I agree with that completely. More like they're hedging their bets in the event that BB10 develops enough of a userbase to justify an app of its own.

Granted, I expect that in maybe 3-5 years, but still...
    08-04-14 06:32 PM
    Let's see where it's going to land... what is it, a golf ball? There's a real life user of the platform asking about app support, and that means nothing.
    08-04-14 06:57 PM
    Devs pay attention to the sales marketshare numbers before committing to a platform. BB is going to have to at least catch WInMO in the markets that Exfm/Rhapsody value before you see alot of 3rd part app development. Could certainly happen but it won't be in measured in months.
    08-04-14 07:02 PM
    Does it take THAT much time to adapt an app from ios or android to BB?

app dev noob question I know but feel free to answer
    08-04-14 08:06 PM

Not a developer would like to become one. But seriously, does it take that long? My taughts exactly.

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 08:48 PM

Might not require a while lot of upfront time, but time (especially development time) is money.

Factor in support, additional app store commitment, etc. and ROI starts to become a serious consideration.
    08-04-14 08:50 PM
    From my time in IT and support, I would estimate that a company like Ex.fm/Rhapsody would need to hire about 5 full-time employees in order to support the BB10 platform: 2 developers, 1 tester, and 2 end-user support staff. Since these companies mostly service North America (I think - do they serve Europe? Not sure.), they're going to look at BB10's marketshare over the last year or so in the NA markets to see if this is worth doing.

In the US, BB's share total (including BBOS, which was the majority of BB's sales) is about 0.5% recently, and BB10's share is more like 0.2%. I'm sure you can pull numbers for other likely markets, but the majority of BB's sales are in markets that Rhapsody probably doesn't serve.

I'd guess that whoever is in charge would, if he was going to hire someone, rather hire an extra developer each for both iOS and Android (2 FTEs) rather than hire 5 FTEs to support BB10, given the return on investment that would likely gain the company. This is a business, and any expenditure has to make financial sense (i.e., return a profit) or it just doesn't make sense to do, and that is what is stopping a lot of developers, big and small, from supporting BB10. The value of the BB10 market just isn't there for them.
    08-04-14 09:52 PM