#3 Apple iPhone
    It doesn't handle email as well as the cheapest BlackBerry, and as a telephone, it's no better than most cell phones. But this is the gadget that launched the era of mobile computing, and what an epoch that promises to be! With 10,000 free and paid applications, tethered to on-board GPS and utilizing an array of sensors that include a motion-sensing accelerometer, what can't the iPhone do? Price: $199

The Top 10 Everything of 2008 - TIME
    12-12-08 02:57 AM
    I'm not surprised the Storm didn't make it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-08 03:02 AM
    I can see the Storm not makin the cut but the Bold didn't either what is with these magazines.

12-12-08 03:10 AM
    #3 Apple iPhone
    It doesn't handle email as well as the cheapest BlackBerry, and as a telephone, it's no better than most cell phones.
    With that kind of reasoning it still makes the Top 5. Amazing.

I am also not surprised the Storm, or any other BB for that matter, did not make the list.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 12-12-08 at 03:16 AM.
    12-12-08 03:13 AM
    I'm also not surprised. To be honest I think the "clickable touch screen" is the worst part of the Storm. You get a touchscreen phone to use the touch function not to touch what you want AND still have to click the screen. Sorry I can't explain it any better...

12-12-08 03:45 AM
    I can see the Storm not makin the cut but the Bold didn't either what is with these magazines.

Getting good magazine reviews always used to be easy, and I don't think it will have changed much. The manufacturer places a long term advertising contract to reserve the premium pages. Double spread is better... Oh, and week-in-exotic-location review breaks for the editorial team if the competition already has a foot in the door.
    12-12-08 08:40 AM
    such a flattering description....
    12-12-08 11:12 AM
    Wow...that's all I can say. It's bad as a phone, bad at email, and the battery can't be changed, but its good enough to make too 10. Wonder where something would rank if it was good at anything.

12-12-08 11:29 AM
    In all honesty, the Blackberry most likely didn't make the list because it hasn't really changed much over the years.

Each New BlackBerry Basically does the same thing previous BlackBerry's have done.

Huge Cosmetic Changes have been made, no doubt.

But BlackBerry's are known for their Keyboards, Email Capabilities, and Snappy OS-

And over the years- there has been little to no Change.

The only "New" type of BlackBerry has been the Storm.

It Departed from its Loved Keyboard, and branched off into a new direction.

Hopefully, we'll see it make next years list after its snazzed up and all the bugs have been ironed out.

The iPhone made the list because, well, it's new and it brings fresh air to the Market.

It changed the way Mobile Phone Companies thought.

It was totally new, and different.

I love my Bold, but in essence its pretty much a NipTucked 88xx with more Muscle and some Gawdy Makeup.

Nothing New, Nothing Innovative.

You can't really even claim that "3G" is a big deal really, Verizon BB's have had 3G devices for a while now.
    12-12-08 11:30 AM
    Wow, so you dont think the pearl or the pearl flip were different?

Better browser and media capabilities aren't different? I had an 8703e until June '08 and it didnt even have a media player!
    12-12-08 03:34 PM
    Wow, so you dont think the pearl or the pearl flip were different?

Better browser and media capabilities aren't different? I had an 8703e until June '08 and it didnt even have a media player!
    I don't really find that so great.

A Flip Phone?

Thats so '05.

A phone that costs as much as a BB to buy, and Maintain- Should definitely have a beefier websurfing experience to begin with.

In all honesty, the media players still leave alot to be desired- to think differently would be foolish.

Any little freebie phone has a standard media player.

Definitely nothing amazing.

And Just What is amazing about the Pearl?

Besides, the pearl was definitely not released in '08.
    12-12-08 03:40 PM
    Yay! Go iPhone. Brilliant device! I love my iPhone!
    12-12-08 03:44 PM
    Its easy to see why Blackberry was left off this list. Like others have said, the Blackberry devices have been evolving from previous designs with the exception of the storm. The Storm is a great device, but it was not the poineer. I do think Blackberry's are better devices over all, and I love my bold.

There are many reasons the iPhone is ranked high. It is responsible for bringing smartphones to the mainstream. The OS is revolutionary, and the sales figures are staggering.

I am very happy that the iPhone is so successful. It forces Blackberry and other manufactures to improve and innovate their devices. In the end, the consumer wins.

12-12-08 04:23 PM
    The Blackberry is overall the best anyway no matter what the top 10 "gadgets" are. Time's list has more to do with innovation and how the gadget is different from something before. If you look hard enough I wonder if in previous years a Blackberry device has been included in the top 10 before.
    12-12-08 04:28 PM
    The Blackberry is overall the best anyway no matter what the top 10 "gadgets" are. Time's list has more to do with innovation and how the gadget is different from something before. If you look hard enough I wonder if in previous years a Blackberry device has been included in the top 10 before.
    Exactly.

I Find the BlackBerry to be a very Stable Reliable Phone.

I don't think they need to change much since what they have is very good to begin with.

How can you improve on something when it's good to begin with.

The only problem is that it really hasn't changed much.

And the changes themselves, haven't been that groundbreaking.

Just an attempt at introducing the BlackBerry into the Mainstream.
    12-12-08 04:34 PM
    The only problem is that it really hasn't changed much.

And the changes themselves, haven't been that groundbreaking.

Just an attempt at introducing the BlackBerry into the Mainstream.
    Actually if you consider the Pearl and the Curve, those were major changes to the PDA market. RIM attracted a whole new consumer without alienating it's current business type. And to tell you the truth, that's all they really needed to do. They make quality devices, and unfortunately that isn't considered too much in articles such as the Time one.
    Last edited by poe1983; 12-12-08 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Mis-spelling
    12-12-08 04:39 PM
    Actually if you consider the Pearl and the Curve, those were major changes to the PDA market. RIM attracted a whole new consumer without alienating it's current business type. And to tell you the truth, that's all they really needed to do. They make quality devices, and unfortunately that isn't considered too much in articles such as the Time one.
    Mainly because RIM simply added functions that many other PDA makers had
    incorporated into their devices years prior. Memory card support, camera, etc.

While the BB is a great device, innovative it isn't. And RIM always seems to
    be playing catch-up to other manufacturers. I don't see any bias in any of the
    reviews. If RIM makes a game changing device they would deserve any
    accolades the get. As long as they keep turning out dressed up versions
    of older devices I think the industry will still respond with a resounding yawn.
    12-12-08 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD