I'm sure many have asked this, but I'm wondering if the Verizon Wireless Storm GPS is either locked or limited. BB Maps works just fine, but I'm wanting to install GPS Tracker, and it has yet to find any satelites, but Maps finds 11. This was the same case on both my old Pearl 8130 and 8330 Curve. This is why I have serious psychotic @$%%in' problems with the SP messing with the OS.. I've got a nice feature, and I'm paying out the wazoo for them, but I cannot use them as I wish.. Does anyone have any input or suggestions?
    09-07-09 08:33 AM
    I'm sure many have asked this, but I'm wondering if the Verizon Wireless Storm GPS is either locked or limited. BB Maps works just fine, but I'm wanting to install GPS Tracker, and it has yet to find any satelites, but Maps finds 11. This was the same case on both my old Pearl 8130 and 8330 Curve. This is why I have serious psychotic @$%%in' problems with the SP messing with the OS.. I've got a nice feature, and I'm paying out the wazoo for them, but I cannot use them as I wish.. Does anyone have any input or suggestions?
    Storm GPS is unlocked. Make sure you have your GPS options set to location on instead of E911.
    09-07-09 08:38 AM
    As I said, BB Maps works. The setting is set for Location On and device GPS. What exactly is location aiding?
    09-07-09 08:40 AM
    Well, I'm just giving up on the hope of ever finding a lost or stolen Storm. Thanks anyways, Carlos31820.
    09-07-09 09:00 AM
    Well, I'm just giving up on the hope of ever finding a lost or stolen Storm. Thanks anyways, Carlos31820.
    You could check out SmrtGuard. I have it on my phone and it tells you where the phone is located (with a certain margin of error) using a web interface.

It also lets you back up the phone OTA, and lets you wipe the phone in case it's stolen. You can also have the phone call you so you can listen in if you suspect it's been stolen.

Only drawback is that it has an ongoing yearly cost, not a one-time fee.
    09-07-09 12:46 PM
    Jonno, I just found something called MoosTrax that works great on my storm and it's free. Check out MoosTrax - Home for details, register online, download the ota client and you're all set. I just tried it. Found my location within 30 feet.
    09-07-09 01:02 PM
    HAve you tried any other GPS apps? Does google maps work? Also make sure you check the permissions for the app.
    Options > Advanced > Applications > (Highlight your app) > BB Key > Edit Permissions
    Make sure that under connections location data is allowed. You might try allowing everything.
    09-07-09 01:11 PM
    Make sure you've checked the box to disable AGPS in the settings menu of GPS Tracker. The installation instructions specifiy this and it will be unchecked by default. It should work with that change.
    09-07-09 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD