The storm GPS will work with BB Maps and without VZ Nav. If you want voice turn by turn you will still need to get VZ Nav. Also BB Maps GPS will be strictly GPS and not the assisted GPS that VZ Nav uses.

no subscription for GPS on BB Maps.
    11-08-08 06:33 AM
    So does google maps work with the GPS?
    11-08-08 08:26 AM
    So does google maps work with the GPS?
    Yes it will.
    11-08-08 08:34 AM
    P.S. There's a version of Windows Live (Search) for BB's. It's fantastic for searching directions, restaurants, movie times, lowest price of gas near where you are, etc. That also uses GPS. Still can't beat Google Maps for, well, MAPS! But it's good with them and GREAT at everything else.
    11-08-08 08:36 AM
    That sounds great thanks!
    11-08-08 08:40 AM
    what about a traffic maps or live traffic maps are there any guess it would be an App. for BB?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-08-08 09:11 AM
    VZNav does have traffic updates to help you get around those nasty jams
    11-08-08 10:33 AM
    yes i know vznav has traffic its not bad but i was looking for standalone app

11-08-08 10:35 AM
    So, i have the premium plan with verizon. Unlimited txt, pic, etc etc....even unlimited internet. My wife and i had to get it when she got her voyager. And with that plan we were able to get Vz nav for free. So is this plan similar to that of the storm? Will i get nav for free?

11-08-08 11:51 AM
    what about a traffic maps or live traffic maps are there any guess it would be an App. for BB?

Yes, the Microsoft Live Search does incorporate some Traffic but it's in limited areas (some major metro cities) and I'm not in one of them. So I can't use it or speak for it. But it's there.
    11-08-08 06:14 PM
    So, i have the premium plan with verizon. Unlimited txt, pic, etc etc....even unlimited internet. My wife and i had to get it when she got her voyager. And with that plan we were able to get Vz nav for free. So is this plan similar to that of the storm? Will i get nav for free?

My understanding is that you can only have Basic or Select plans with a Blackberry; Premium plan is not allowed. They'll probably make you change your voice plan if and when you get the Storm.
    11-08-08 09:35 PM
    Gmaps does trafffic and biz search also along with transit.

11-08-08 11:04 PM
    My understanding is that you can only have Basic or Select plans with a Blackberry; Premium plan is not allowed. They'll probably make you change your voice plan if and when you get the Storm.
    That is a correct understanding. Supposedly it is because of the amount of data that the blackberry uses. Though I haven't seen a difference in my data usage with the blackberry over the dare that I got rid of for the blackberry.
    11-08-08 11:12 PM
    Anyone know if and when Garmin Mobile will be compatible for the storm?
    11-08-08 11:48 PM
    will all GPS be unassisted by VZ network Like when you use it with google maps
    11-09-08 07:30 AM
    Nice avatar chaseh140.
    11-09-08 09:13 AM
    when you say it won't use asissted GPS does that mean it won't automatically find you on the map and you'll have to input yourself?
    11-09-08 09:24 AM
    No, assisted GPS just gives you a quicker sat fix then standalone GPS. Go wiki GPS and you'll see how assisted works. Basically assisted gives you access to a PDE server on the carrier's network which gives the phone a basic location based on what tower they are connected to. The phone then crossreferences this location with an already defined list of sats overhead (since it know which ones to look for based on the tower location). This reduces the amount of time it takes for the phone to find usable (in range) sats for your location since instead of trying to find all of them from the entire list, it's reduced its search because of the localized pinpoint of the tower location connected to. In some config cases, the PDE server can also do all the calculations for the phone as well and the phone just issues and responds to coordinate requests. In this case, the speed of a fix and change can also be sped along more because the PDE can probably process all the number crunching faster then the local proc of the phone. By default, the location calculation on a CDMA BB is done by the PDE server on the carrier's network.
    11-09-08 12:39 PM
    I agree with this... if the voyager is the primary line you can keep it on the premium plan but the blackberry will only be 9.99 a month on the select plan... You can add VZNav for 9.99 an month, actually works out better than the additional $30 for premium additional lines.
    11-14-08 03:37 PM
    For traffic I use sigalert.com, I know it's only in California but it's great.
    11-14-08 05:45 PM
    No, assisted GPS just gives you a quicker sat fix then standalone GPS. Go wiki GPS and you'll see how assisted works. Basically assisted gives you access to a PDE server on the carrier's network which gives the phone a basic location based on what tower they are connected to. The phone then crossreferences this location with an already defined list of sats overhead (since it know which ones to look for based on the tower location). This reduces the amount of time it takes for the phone to find usable (in range) sats for your location since instead of trying to find all of them from the entire list, it's reduced its search because of the localized pinpoint of the tower location connected to. In some config cases, the PDE server can also do all the calculations for the phone as well and the phone just issues and responds to coordinate requests. In this case, the speed of a fix and change can also be sped along more because the PDE can probably process all the number crunching faster then the local proc of the phone. By default, the location calculation on a CDMA BB is done by the PDE server on the carrier's network.
    Civic, can you verify that the Gps will be unlocked for apps other than BBMaps?
    11-14-08 05:53 PM
    same as timberdc. I have a handheld gps for hiking and boating. I would like to be able to just use the storm, so if I have my gps program on the BB (they make version of it for the other BB with unlocked GPS), can I use on the storm. It just wants to find your gps device, then get a fix and then it works. Hate having to carry a second unit when my phone already has it built in!
    11-14-08 06:13 PM
    The gps on this device is unlocked which is surprising to me.
    11-14-08 06:22 PM
    how is bb maps on the storm different from bb maps on the curve??
    11-14-08 06:42 PM
    Thanks for the update

11-14-08 06:59 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD