I want to know what programs you have successfully used the GPS with. I am interested in google., smrtguard, where, poynt, telenav, geotagging and other gps functions. I have the curve and vzw's gps policy is a major drawback and I want to know what I am getting into before I get a storm.
    05-04-09 10:28 PM
    I just got AmAze and I think its a good one so far
    05-04-09 10:37 PM
    That is encouraging. Why does the googlemaps I downloaded at the verizon store not work?
    05-04-09 11:45 PM
    I have used Google Maps, Blackstar and SMap with GPS functionality.

Google maps is what I use for Sat Nav in the car - works well, but would be nice if some of the area maps could be cached on the device...

Blackstar is my Geocaching tool. This allows download of LOC/GPX files, has a compass and allows manual entry of Lat./Long.

SMap (from Sanoodi) is a tracking app, which will log the route you have taken during a walk, cycle ride, or any other type of journey. Waypoint logging intervals can be customised, depending on predicted speed, and final route can be uploaded to Sanoodi site.

All of the above work well with the built-in GPS on the Storm. One point I should make is that I am in the UK, and as such am not subject to the Verizon "restrictions" for GPS

Overall, I am very satisfied with the Storm's GPS functionality.
    05-05-09 12:43 AM
    Not to be a purist, but my question primarily pertains to people on Verizon. Thank you to anyone who has replied though. Most other carriers aren't jerks about GPS.
    05-05-09 12:53 AM
    Not to be a purist, but my question primarily pertains to people on Verizon. Thank you to anyone who has replied though. Most other carriers aren't jerks about GPS.
    Fair enough... I've not really looked into the detail of the Verizon GPS issues mentioned on here, so apologies if my post is rubbing salt into the wound

When will the carriers around the world realise that if the spent more time getting their sites / services in order, rather than locking down phones, they may get a better return rate from users? Tying a phone to a carrier (SIM-wise) is one thing, but restricting basic functionality of the phone? That's just plain mean...
    05-05-09 01:03 AM
    Simple, because Verizon want you to use Navigator and pay $10 more a month for the privilege of using GPS.
    05-05-09 01:22 AM
    The GPS in the Storm is not locked down.
    05-05-09 09:02 PM
    I am a Verizon user, and I primarily use Google Maps for GPS. I also have Poynt and BlackBerry Maps installed, but haven't really used them much.

One of the problems I noticed was that when I uninstalled VZ Navigator, the other apps were unable to get a GPS lock. Once I reinstalled VZ Navigator (just reinstalled, not subscribed) the other apps were able to get a GPS lock again.
    05-05-09 09:21 PM
    I use the GPS for Google Maps, WHERE, Poynt, and Smrtguard with Verizon. Works fine.
    05-05-09 09:27 PM
    the google maps is really nice, and i trust them for finding things, as long as you dont need a turn by turn, and the gps part is ACURATE! i can watch myself walk from one end of my place to the other end
    05-05-09 09:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD