Ok I have searched and read.
    I just want to see it in one place and a definate straight answer.
    Verizon has the GPS locked on all but for BBMaps
    BUT
    The Storm is FREE to GPS whatever and where ever it wants ?
    Meaning I can navigate and track location with any 3rd party for the BB Storm that I want just like I could with AT&T or Sprint ?
    03-13-09 10:36 PM
    The Storm's GPS supports both Autonomous and Assisted modes of operation. As long as an application knows how to use the GPS in Autonomous mode, then yes, it should work on the Storm. Google Maps for Mobile devices (GMM) until recently did not know how to use the Storm's GPS in Autonomous mode, so did not work with any accuracy on the Storm. Version 3.0.2 fixes that, and works very nicely.

The difference between Assisted and Autonomous is that the former requires access to network resources that Verizon restricts access to, while the latter doesn't. On other carriers, those resources aren't restricted. An advantage to Assisted GPS (aGPS) is that the initial Time to Fix is much faster than Autonomous mode, and can aid the device in obtaining a fix in areas (such as indoors) where a conventional GPS might not otherwise. Because of this, some applications are designed to invoke the location-based-services (LBS) functionality with the Assist feature specified, and that fails on Verizon as well as some other carriers with the same restriction. Those that fall back to Autonomous mode should work fine, but generally only outside with a relatively clear view of the sky.

The above is no doubt why it's been difficult to obtain a straight answer, because that answer is usually "it depends."
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 03-14-09 at 08:27 AM.
    03-14-09 08:23 AM
    SO as long as the 3rd party does it right Verizon has no restriction on the GPS for the storm.
    03-16-09 10:51 AM
    SO as long as the 3rd party does it right Verizon has no restriction on the GPS for the storm.
    That is correct.
    03-16-09 04:06 PM
    Man I wish you could get an answer from Verizon like that.
    All i get from them is that that GPS funcaionality is not avaliable, and the security BS
    03-16-09 11:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
";