Can someone tell me why RIM does not announce RIGHT NOW that BB10 will be available on a couple of the newest BB7 model phones?? This will keep a lot higher percentage of existing BB users from running to Android or iPhone because they don't want to make a 2 yr agreement commitment to a dead end phone(within the next 6 months).

My daughter is in this exact position right now...she likes her curve and likes what she sees in my Bold 9930...but I can't in good conscience push her towards a Bold not knowing if BB10 will be available on it or not.

It would:
    1. Stop some of the massive bleed now
    2. Give existing users the comfort knowing they will be able to get to BB10 in a few months(with all of the new apps that will be coming)
    3. Have a couple well circulated platforms out there to leak and beta test BB10 before GA!
    4. Provide an announcement that would generate immediate excitement and invest in their installed base which they desperately need for future success

They should be able to EASILY know how many older handsets are still in use and are eligible for upgrade, market a promotion directly to them to upgrade to currently available handsets that will be BB10. An incentive to stay is much easier than to try to get them back after they switch!!!! GET ON IT!

It seems like a no-brainer to me...is someone out there listening??
    05-01-12 01:05 PM
    nope

unlike others, bb only releases a new phone right after you have bought a new one.

so hurry up and buy one so they will release bb10 for the rest of us

05-01-12 01:08 PM
    Unless I missed something, I don't think the BB7 devices are getting BB10
    05-01-12 01:11 PM
    Pretty sure I've seen more then once that BB7 devices won't get the BB10 update. As sweet as it would be, I wouldn't expect it. Just wait for BB10 devices.
    05-01-12 01:17 PM
    RIM made it very cl are that none of the OS7 devices will be upgradable to OS10.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-01-12 01:18 PM
    Ai Yi Yi. Parenting 101. Use and old Jedi mind trick.

Tell your daughter:
    "She doesn't need a new phone right now"
    "iOS and Android are not the phones she is looking for."
    "Move Along, Move along."
    BlackStormRising and DeonADB like this.
    05-01-12 01:19 PM
    RIM has already said QNX (the kernel for OS10) REQUIRES a multi-core CPU. NON of the current BlackBerry phones have a multi-core processor. Ergo, non of the current BBs will be able to run OS10.

I would tell her if she can wait, then wait. If she can't, look for a used 9930. DO NOT enter a multi-year contract right now.

I agree with your main point. RIM needs to keep people from leaving BlackBerry for the next 5 to 6 months, if they can. Anyone who would go into a 2 or 3 year contract right now is not paying attention to the mobile product space.
    05-01-12 01:20 PM
    Can someone tell me why RIM does not announce RIGHT NOW that BB10 will be available on a couple of the newest BB7 model phones??
    Yes. It's because it won't be.
    madman0141 and SDM7171 like this.
    05-01-12 01:21 PM
    I had the same question last year, but then decided to just go ahead and get an OS 7 phone. I figured by the time I wanted to upgrade, the BB10's would have all the kinks worked out. I like the OS 7. I'm not that eager to switch really.
    05-01-12 01:23 PM
    Can someone tell me why RIM does not announce RIGHT NOW that BB10 will be available on a couple of the newest BB7 model phones??
    The existing BB7 hardware is not compatible with the new BB10 software. What you are asking is like expecting a car manufacturer to promise that last year's gasoline engine model can be upgraded to accept next year's hybrid diesel-electric power train.
    Faagmer likes this.
    05-01-12 01:28 PM
    I say, let her wait it out on her Curve...I qualified for a upgrade mid Nov by not doing so I am not extending my contract-If nothing arrives ,it's pointless to upgrade to a OS 7 device knowing BB10 is around the corner- ...
    05-01-12 01:38 PM
    because this way is the only way they can get people to upgrade to a new bb
    05-01-12 02:04 PM
    I think the fact your less than 1 year old device cannot be updated is hard to swallow. RIM should offer some sort of discount for those who bought bb7 phones when getting a bb10 device.
    05-01-12 02:55 PM
    I think the fact your less than 1 year old device cannot be updated is hard to swallow. RIM should offer some sort of discount for those who bought bb7 phones when getting a bb10 device.
    Maybe do their trade in program again and get a discount on the new phone while exchanging the old phone.
    05-01-12 03:54 PM
    RIM has already said QNX (the kernel for OS10) REQUIRES a multi-core CPU. NON of the current BlackBerry phones have a multi-core processor. Ergo, non of the current BBs will be able to run OS10.

I would tell her if she can wait, then wait. If she can't, look for a used 9930. DO NOT enter a multi-year contract right now.

I agree with your main point. RIM needs to keep people from leaving BlackBerry for the next 5 to 6 months, if they can. Anyone who would go into a 2 or 3 year contract right now is not paying attention to the mobile product space.
    The QNX OS runs on non-multicore systems today...heck, it runs on embedded car systems and all kinds of non-current processors. They could easily make it run on the BB7 phones and maintain some of the marketshare they have today. This, unfortunately, was not about my daughter and her phone decision as much as it was about how slow the bleed of the millions of users who don't live and breathe the smartphone market and blackberry world and will walk in and make snap decisions based on sexy new phones...
    05-01-12 05:28 PM
    RIM should publicly address this issue ASAP

If someone gets an OS7 device 6 months (or less) before BB10 is launched, could there be a way to easily trade-up to BB10
    05-01-12 07:55 PM
    Tell her to wait until 10 comes out and compare the phones and let her.get the one she wants. It's just a phone for God's sake.
    05-01-12 08:00 PM
    when bb10 comes out ill use my upgrade, right now it doesn't seem warranted. Besides, if they're locking me into a 2 or 3 year agreement im getting the most up to date phone they have, not one thats nearing the end of a product cycle imo.
    05-01-12 08:29 PM
    What RIM should really do, and still may do, is announce a program in which owners of certain, currently-available Blackberry devices will either get a discount toward the purchase of a BB10 device, will get an early upgrade to a BB10 device, or can trade in their current phone for a BB10 device. RIM should reward its consumers for their loyalty.

All of the cool stuff RIM is announcing this week is also a giant billboard to everyone to not buy any currently-available Blackberry phones in the next six months.
    05-01-12 08:42 PM
    What RIM should really do, and still may do, is announce a program in which owners of certain, currently-available Blackberry devices will either get a discount toward the purchase of a BB10 device, will get an early upgrade to a BB10 device, or can trade in their current phone for a BB10 device. RIM should reward its consumers for their loyalty.

All of the cool stuff RIM is announcing this week is also a giant billboard to everyone to not buy any currently-available Blackberry phones in the next six months.

But it does also show consumers that BlackBerry will still be around if they get an OS7 device...there will be support and upgrades
    05-01-12 08:54 PM
    they wont stop supporting bbos for a long time, theres too much enterprise adoption. So i mean for someone who doesnt necessarily need the latest and greatest like most users upgrading from a feature phone a bb7 phone thats cheap and will be supported for a long time to come looks pretty good.
    The trade up idea is a good one, but they're already writing down the bb7 hardware so i suspect we'll be seeing some interesting deals soon.
    05-01-12 09:07 PM
    It may be possile to make QNX based systems run on current specification hardware, but that doesn't avoid the practical obstacles to making it run on existing products already in the hands of users.
    1. New regulatory approvals required
    2. New boot loader required
    3. Modification of core software required to handle alternate chipset
    4. User upgrade process to be developed
    ... I could go on.

These constraints would divert too much time and resource from the core project with little real benefit. I won't even consider the reduced performance available from less capable hardware, or the number of dishonest users who contrive to brick their older devices during upgrade so they can sue for a new full-spec BB10 replacement.
    05-04-12 09:05 AM
    to with this...i would be happy if my bb6 could be upgraded to 7
    05-04-12 09:09 AM
    There hasn't been a solid release date and RIM isn't known for putting out new phones right away, so I would just get a new Bold 9930.

Its no telling when BB10 phones will be released. I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt come out until January 2013. Especially one with a keyboard.

life is too short to be waiting around for a phone with no solid release date.

The Bold 9900/30 is the best Blackberry out right now. Why wait?
    05-04-12 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD