i have a blackberry myself and it has all the bb features, however my camera is broken. so my friend gave me a "new" one as gift. i am afraid it could be stolen. however i looked at the "new" phone and it didnt have all the features. it was just like a regular phone. if i set up my emails and etc....could the "new" blackberry get tracked? what would happen? i figured since they didnt have the "blackberry enterprise" that i would be ok. but there is this thing called "enterprise activation and it has a pin number, and the "new" phone says "status not activated" but on my phone it has pin number but it doesnt say "status not activated" doesnt say anything.

so let me get to the point. if i put my sim card and register the "new" phone will i get in deep doodoo?
    Last edited by kasperapd; 02-05-08 at 05:56 PM. Reason: foul language
    02-05-08 02:01 AM
    While the phone CAN technically be tracked, it's not common practice due to the time and expense involved... At this stage, cell phone tracking is typically reserved for life-threatening situations and Goverment purposes (some carriers will also offer it as a service to large companies...).

Instead, it would be more likely that one or more carriers in your country will block the handset from use in your country...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-08 04:47 AM
    Thanks for finding my bb!

Please send it back to me.
    02-05-08 05:41 AM
    Thanks for finding my bb!

Please send it back to me.
    No, thats my BB! LOL. You will be fine, throw your SIM in and enjoy!

Click
    02-05-08 05:54 AM
    ummm no clue but good luck !
    02-05-08 02:45 PM
    Sounds fishy to me.

I'll say this if it is stolen and you now your no better than the thief that took it.
    Last edited by dmcgrady; 02-05-08 at 03:58 PM. Reason: signature missing
    02-05-08 03:03 PM
    Sounds fishy to me.

I'll say this if it is stolen and you now your no better than the thief that took it.
    But s/he doesn't KNOW for sure - It's a sort of a suspicion. How did you come to the conclusion that it was stolen anyway?
    02-05-08 04:38 PM
    If you are worried the logical thing to do is ask your friend if the BB is genuine or not. It could very well be that they simply just used it without data plan for whatever reason.
    02-05-08 04:53 PM
    she gave me the phone. no charger no box. just told me "heres a new one enjoy"
    02-06-08 01:58 AM
    Fishy. The carrier may block the IMEI if it's reported stolen.

02-06-08 06:38 AM
    what is imei?
    02-07-08 01:46 AM
    02-07-08 01:52 AM
    Its like PIN - a unique code for your device. I don't know about anywhere other than the UK but here, if you report your phone stolen, they block the IMEI so that you can't get a signal on any carrier. The phone becomes almost useless, you can use it for MP3s, camera, anythink that would work without a signal.

02-07-08 02:18 AM
    Its like PIN - a unique code for your device. I don't know about anywhere other than the UK but here, if you report your phone stolen, they block the IMEI so that you can't get a signal on any carrier. The phone becomes almost useless, you can use it for MP3s, camera, anythink that would work without a signal.

Same story in the US as well.
    02-07-08 07:33 AM
    Push the send icon and see what number comes up. Call that number and ask the person that answers if they are missing their phone.

Then the truth about the origin of the phone will be known.

Another thing you could do also, go to tools (The Wrench Icon) scroll down to owner. Maybe the owner put their info in this file.

When I hear that you didn't get a box and the owners effects, cd/dvd, charger, usb adapter, etc. It sounds to me like its probably stolen, nothing good will come from recieving and possessing stolen property.

Maybe I'm wrong about this. If I am I will stand corrected in advance.
    If I'm not wrong you should do the right thing and try to find the rightful owner of the phone and return it.
    02-07-08 08:23 PM

but whens the last time you lost a phone and called to report it missing? i just buy another one
    02-08-08 01:00 AM
    My T-Mo phone was stolen yesterday and T-Mo will not use the IMEI to block usage on their network. So whoever "found" it is free to use it with their SIM. Ridiculous but true.
    04-09-09 01:32 PM
    My T-Mo phone was stolen yesterday and T-Mo will not use the IMEI to block usage on their network. So whoever "found" it is free to use it with their SIM. Ridiculous but true.
    That is ridiculous. Wouldn't that only encourage more theft of cellphones?
    04-09-09 02:20 PM
    Same for the rest of the GSM carriers in the USA. They do not block or blacklist the IMEI numbers.

I think I need more friends to hand me $100+ gifts for the heck of it.
    04-09-09 10:14 PM
    Just go to the carriers company store, (you did not say who the carrier is.)

Tell them a friend gave it to you and you want to know if its clean and if you can use it.

They can look it up and let you know if its reported lost, stolen or is clean to use.

What ever the outcome its not going to get you in trouble for turning it in.
    (Keeping it may get you in trouble)

Who knows, they may even give you a special deal on a replacement phone for being a "Good Samaritan"

If yours was lost or stolen you would want someone to get it back to.

Do the right thing, turn it in
    04-09-09 11:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD