OK. So I had my phone stolen the other day..
    I have google lattitude. The person decided to turn the phone on the next day. So the minute it did I saw on google the general location. They were inside so it wasnt picking up an exact gps signal but it was going off of cell towers. and would go back and forth between two areas in the same city same area, so I had a general idea of where they lived. It was funny because I had a chat with sprint and asked them if they could track it and they told me they couldnt.. which was copied and pasted into an email and sent to me, which goes to my phone. so the person with my phone read an email that said the phone could not be tracked through gps.. HAHA. They proceded to text me back when I text them from a friends phone. we text through out the day and they offered to sell me my phone back to me for 400 dollars. I told them fine. it took a while but set up a meeting place. The first meeting place was a bust. they said they had to leave and they were on the place that my phone was stolen from (it was a sports facility) So I checked the gps and sure enough they were driving that way. Called the police department from that city, which is who originally took the report. They were much more into it the the first cop. I met the police behind a building in the area to talk about it. We didnt know who we were looking for so they sent me in to try to make contact. I went in and they were texting me the entire time. To make a long story short. A girl walked up to me (who I later am pretty sure is the one who stole it) and said that somebody gave her my phone to give to me. and she just gave it to me. police stoped her when she walked out and sure enough her address fit the area where the gps was getting the signal from.. which by the way is about 20 miles from where the phone was stolen and where I got it back. So its really narrows it down to the people who play sports here from that far away. ANyway the arrest is pending as a dectective is working on getting all the info that we have, because there is no proof that she was the one that stole it for sure... but we do have a lot of circumstantial (sp) evidence.

Anyway. before any of this happened i put in a claim with asurion (sp). I must say it was a very easy process and I just found out the phone was shiped the same day and I am to recieve it today. (i put in the claim yesterday)

I must also note that I never turned off the service on my originally phone. I knew it was turned off the night it was stolen and I constantly checked my account throughout the day and there were not calls made other than they checked my voicemail a few times. So my plan was to leave it on for a day to see if the gps hit.

back to insurance. So now I have my phone back. 24 hours after it was stolen... I called asurion this morning to cancel the claim and tell them that I have my phone. They said it is already on the way and that the 50 dollars no matter what is non refundible. So it would be better for me to just keep the phone. (sorry another side note. I just had my curve replaced a week ago due to the usb jack falling out, So its brand new) The told me that the phone that was stolen is now uninsurable. So now I have 2 phones. that are perfectly fine. but one is supposedly uninsurable through asurion.

Any oppinions would be great.. Does anyone know if there is a way to send the phone they sent me back and get the charge whipped. Does anyone know if there is anyway to get the old phone insnsured. I was thinking of maybe giving it to my dad. He is not the most graceful man so things tend to get broken with him easiliy lol.

Thanks for your help. Hope that if anyone elses phone ever gets stolen that the person who stole it is dumb enough to turn it on... I suggest getting lattitude even if you keep yourself as your only friend just so you can track it from your computer.
    02-20-09 08:53 AM
    Well, an interesting story! I would either keep the phone as a backup in case your primary device ever fails, or you could put it up for sale and recoup your losses.

Giving it to dad would be nice, but would he be happy with it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 09:21 AM
    Not to go off topic but I also have Google Latitude installed.. Just making sure, you don't actually have to have Google Maps running to have latitude update your location right? Even if i take the battery out of my phone and then re-insert it and power back up Latitude will start with the phone without any notifications right?
    02-20-09 09:38 AM
    nice! you are super lucky!
    02-20-09 09:39 AM
    I am not sure if they took the battery out when they had it but they definatly turned the phone off and it still worked when they turned it back on. When you are in google maps and go to exit it will ask you if you want to.. keep sharing.. which i believe keeps it running in the background... or suspend sharring which I believes shuts it down comp.. I always just say to keep sharing.

Not sure if my dad would like it. He has mentioned getting a phone like mine before. Im going to talk to him this weekend. His contract is also up to so that may open up more options.
    02-20-09 09:58 AM
    Filthy theaving bastar*s! There is nothing like working hard for something only to have some sorry a** thief steal it from you. It is quite an interesting story though.

I have heard of cell companies claiming they can not track the phone through GPS. The only problem with that is people see on tv all the time about someone driving off the road, no one can find them... But miracle of miracles the cell phone GPS helped rescuers find them.

I just think they don't want to fool around with it, or they don't have the manpower to do so.

I would keep the phone as a backup device, or sell it and make yourself a nice profit from it. Depending on how tech savvy your father is, he may want a more simple phone (I know mine would). You could purchase him an easier to use phone and still have a profit in your pocket!

Anywho, I am glad it worked out for you! I like it when the bad guy gets the shaft. (Shut your mouth! LOL!)

02-20-09 10:12 AM
    thats sweet you got your phone back dude.

i woulda snapped if somebody stole my bold.

so you always just keep google latitude on? hmmm doesnt that drain battery/memory?

i heard there was other problems that you could use to track the location of your phone using gps, i cant remember what program it was tho. there should be a way to track your phone using IMEI or something thru the internet without having to have anything running on your blackberry in the background.....there has to be a way?!
    02-20-09 10:36 AM
    I know sprint offers for 5 dollars a month a phone locator service. Im sure there is probbly a program out there. MMM id ont know if it drains anything to be honest i dont even know how to check for memory draining. but in terms of batter. i have so many damn charges i dont think my batt life goes below 50 ever haha. But it is something to think about for when im traveling and what not to save battery.
    02-20-09 10:39 AM
    I would keep it as back up or sell the one that is "uninsurable."
    By the way - you got lucky you got your phone back and the replacement only cost you $50.
    Asurion just sent me their notification of changes to their plan...all blackberrys will have a $100 deductible beginning April 19th.
    02-20-09 10:48 AM
    I would keep it as back up or sell the one that is "uninsurable."
    By the way - you got lucky you got your phone back and the replacement only cost you $50.
    Asurion just sent me their notification of changes to their plan...all blackberrys will have a $100 deductible beginning April 19th.
    That's awesome you got the phone back! I would keep it just in case for a back up or sell it. I am sooo happy it worked out for you!

~Jazzi~

As an aside: Thanks txladi for the info, I've been thinking of getting mine insured and I think I will check into it again. I don't know, its hard to justify paying $100 for a BB I got free after rebate, but it is my baby. I do have Roblock though on it and it is always by my side.

02-20-09 11:04 AM
    Has anyone tried RobLock on a Storm? If it works I might do that, but otherwise using Latitude is genius.
    02-20-09 11:12 AM
    You might want to make sure that the PIN is released on the original (Sprint can do that for you), and that the phone was not reported by you, Asurion, or Sprint as stole, thus making it unable to use data.

Also are you sure Asurion does not want the original? Usually when they replace a lost or stole phone they want the original IF it's recovered. You might want to double check on that.
    02-20-09 01:21 PM
    What a crazy story! Thanks for sharing that with us.. I'm glad you got ur curve back..

02-20-09 01:33 PM
    I agree with pkcable. When you reported the old phone as stolen, they should have coded as such on the ESN so it can not be activated. Also, they send you an envelope to send back the missing phone if it turns up. And I believe the $50 is non-refundable under ALL circumstances. That is why they give you like 5 opportunities to back out before making the claim.
    02-20-09 01:38 PM
    the thing is i never reported its stolen to sprint. I am sitting here using the phone right now. And how would asurion ever know if you got the phone back? They just said that it wouldnt be insurable ever again but I could still use it.

Correct the lady did say the 50 was completly non refundable.
    02-20-09 02:05 PM
    I find it strange that you have latitude installed as sort of a safety measure yet you don't have a password on ur phone to lock anyone out. Then again if u did, you probably wouldn't have gotten your phone back...

02-20-09 03:23 PM
    When assurion sends you the phone they blacklist the old ESN. If it is still working now, it won't be for long and the price of a new blackberry will eventually show up on your bill. Best bet is to activate the new phone, send back the recovered one and chalk it up to a good story and a new phone.

Really, (and I am not questioning your morals, just letting you know) to do anything but this would constitute insurance fraud.
    02-20-09 10:38 PM
    It does make for a great story, but I'm with fclensy in that you should return one to asurion.
    02-20-09 10:48 PM
    You were basically told by the people you would have been responsible to, that you can keep the phone... Id use the uninsurable until it breaks, then switch to the brand new and return it if it breaks! Its like instant insurance!
    02-21-09 07:32 AM
    Here is what I know. Two claims filed within a twelve month period will cancel the insurance. As soon as you say, "Yes I agree to the terms..." it is a done deal.

My opinion would be to
    A. Send it back being the good citizen we all are or

B. Sell the old phone that you now recovered on Craigslist for what its worth and keep the phone they just sent you because it comes with a year warranty.

Now if you actually talk to the person through voice/text on your device they may actually still charge you. I would recommend email personally, but it's up to you.

And last but not least the insurance is usually applied to the mobile number on carriers such as At&t and T-Mobile but those are GSM carriers, and it may not be the same for Sprint. An inside source that I have said that the old phone would more than likely be insurable in the future but once again DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR ACCOUNT.
    02-21-09 05:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD