Hi everyone

Sadly, last night my Bold was stolen. I have since suspended my account. However, I need some tricks of the trades. When I called AT&T they told me, since I didnt have insurance (I will never do that again) that the only way to get a replacement is to purchase the phone outright...$550!!

Does anyone know of any tricks that may be helpful when dealing with the guys at the retail store? I know it is highly unlikely, but anything that may help me get the cost reduced?
    03-07-09 08:33 PM
    You may wanna try speaking with the manager let him know what went down. A lot of times retailers pay less then MSRP to bring the phone in and then sell it at a higher price MSRP (make sense?) See if you can get one at their cost plus like 10%. It may still just be cheaper to try Ebay, Craigs List and such places to get another Bold. Best of luck to ya!
    03-07-09 08:38 PM
    Sorry to hear about ur stolen Bold-i hope everything works out for u! Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 08:41 PM
    Well you know, you can go look for it. Or you can go ask the person who stole it, and ask nicely if you could have it back. But I don't know buddy.

NO! On a serious note, just go to the AT&T store ask to speak to the manager, explain your situation. And you might have some luck. Good luck!
    03-07-09 08:48 PM
    Tough situation to be in.......sorry to hear. Best of luck at the store or on searching for a used on ebay!
    03-07-09 08:59 PM
    check the marketplace on Crackberry, ebay and craigslist they go for 400-500..sometimes less

or if your on contract you can try to get AT&T to let you upgrade early
    03-07-09 09:04 PM
    Hi everyone

Sadly, last night my Bold was stolen. I have since suspended my account. However, I need some tricks of the trades. When I called AT&T they told me, since I didnt have insurance (I will never do that again) that the only way to get a replacement is to purchase the phone outright...$550!!

Does anyone know of any tricks that may be helpful when dealing with the guys at the retail store? I know it is highly unlikely, but anything that may help me get the cost reduced?
    $550?? Tell them you'd like to cancel and you'll pay the ETF. It'll be cheaper to pay the ETF and get promotional pricing on new equipment at T-mobile or VZW. They should be willing to work out a deal after you tell them why your canceling.
    03-07-09 09:05 PM
    One thing you can try is seeing of your renters or home owners insurance will cover the loss. Hopefully you filed a police report (insurance will want one). If it was stolen out of your car, your car insurance may cover it, but that will of course depend on your policy.

Hi everyone

03-07-09 11:12 PM
    Sorry to hear of your loss, and I'd recommend as suggested above; see if your insurance will cover it. However if not then I would suggest a used phone. You can pay a lot less and often find a LNIB phone. Also, you could consider a different BB (If you really need the Bold then forget I said that..). Obviously there are less expensive ones, and maybe just use the less expensive one until you come across another hardware upgrade..
    03-07-09 11:19 PM
    This is the only downside to owning a phone worth $200 or more lol. I am one of those cheapos that would rather hold onto my phone with an iron grip then pay $5 a month to ATT just for back up insurance.

If phones went back down from the quickly approaching $1000 retail price losing phones would no longer be a big deal. Perhaps this was the industrys way of making money off so many lost phones each year? Conspiracy...I think so!
    03-07-09 11:19 PM
    Thanks to everyone. I found a Bold on craigslist, still in the box, for $300. I'm skeptical, I've never bought anything from Craigslist before, pretty legite stuff?
    03-08-09 01:09 PM
    Thanks to everyone. I found a Bold on craigslist, still in the box, for $300. I'm skeptical, I've never bought anything from Craigslist before, pretty legite stuff?
    Just get them to meet you at an AT&T store so you can get a new SIM and try it out. Honest sellers wouldn't have a problem with this. If they won't then I wouldn't trust the deal. Good luck!
    03-08-09 01:17 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I didnt think the AT&T Insurance covers smartphones? At least when I was on AT&T w/ my Curve they informed me that even though I paid the $5 insurance each month, it didnt cover BlackBerry or iPhone.
    03-08-09 01:23 PM
    $550?? Tell them you'd like to cancel and you'll pay the ETF. It'll be cheaper to pay the ETF and get promotional pricing on new equipment at T-mobile or VZW. They should be willing to work out a deal after you tell them why your canceling.
    That was going to be my suggestion.
    03-08-09 02:41 PM
    That was going to be my suggestion.
    But that would require her to leave ATT for TMO or VZW. Why would you want to do that.

Back to the question. If you are getting close to your upgrade time you can get a new SIM from ATT and then just pick up a $20 go phone and use that til you're ready to upgrade. Your data plan won't work but atleast you'd get phone/sms for the time being until you can get a new phone.

03-08-09 03:36 PM
    that sucks sorry to hear ...
    might want to check out if any are sold on here and/or ebay or craigs list but a warning be extreamly careful (check esn # )
    03-08-09 03:39 PM
    But that would require her to leave ATT for TMO or VZW. Why would you want to do that.

The point is that once she's ready to cancel they'll all of a sudden be able to help her get a better price for a new Bold. I've done it in the past. Once you're ready to cancel and you're talking to the cancelation department, they change their tune.
    03-08-09 03:40 PM
    See if ATT will allow you to renew your contract at this time to possibly get any promotional deals
    03-08-09 03:40 PM
    Because it's cheaper? If AT&T values her business they would work out a deal when she points out that there are cheaper viable alternatives.
    03-08-09 03:50 PM
    The point is that once she's ready to cancel they'll all of a sudden be able to help her get a better price for a new Bold. I've done it in the past. Once you're ready to cancel and you're talking to the cancelation department, they change their tune.
    Yeah I've dealt with the Retention Dept of Sprint before and I had a woman yell at me and hang up. So I switched to ATT. Guess I never really thought that dept would ever really help ya out other than to give you some free minutes or other things that they can't loose money on.

03-08-09 03:53 PM
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I didnt think the AT&T Insurance covers smartphones? At least when I was on AT&T w/ my Curve they informed me that even though I paid the $5 insurance each month, it didnt cover BlackBerry or iPhone.
    I just upgraded from a Curve to a Bold with AT&T yesterday, and they offered me insurance. This was after, when I explained that I wanted to upgrade to a Bold, he asked me why I wanted that over the iPhone. I almost walked out.

I didn't get the insurance. I'm taking the risk.
    03-08-09 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD