I know this has been discussed on here before, but I don't understand what any of it means.

My phone was stolen/lost from my apt a few nights ago after a party. It did not have my SIM card in it, as it was in my Iphone. I reported it stolen to AT&T, can the person that took it use it? If they put a SIM card in it, can I find out information on the person? Thank you

I'm in the U.S. btw.
    10-22-09 11:38 AM
    You can try to report the IMEI as stolen but chances are the phone company won't do anything about it. No North American carriers will blacklist a phone normally.

So bottom line, you're out a phone. No way to track them via IMEI. One thing I would do is report the device stolen to RIM and see if they can blacklist the PIN, I understand that works sometimes. That way they can use it as a phone/PDA but never get any kind of BB service on it.
    10-22-09 11:41 AM
    What if the OP asks AT&T to deactivate the phone? Is that possible?
    10-22-09 11:52 AM
    What if the OP asks AT&T to deactivate the phone? Is that possible?
    Probably not. I have had a discussion with my carrier in the past about these issues and they really don't care. If your SIM card is in it they can deactivate the account, but other than that you're done.

A lot of phones that are stolen end up overseas as well, so even if they did blacklist the IMEI someone can just resell to Hong Kong or China and no one would ever know it's blacklisted.

The only possibility I can think of is the PIN route with RIM, see if they will permanently deactivate it so a new person can't get the BB services.
    10-22-09 12:02 PM
    I know locally (Southern California) that Verizon check the ESN to see if it is on the stolen or unpaid for list. If the ESN is on there, its blacklisted.
    10-22-09 12:10 PM
    I know locally (Southern California) that Verizon check the ESN to see if it is on the stolen or unpaid for list. If the ESN is on there, its blacklisted.
    Verizon is CDMA, right? It is probably different as CDMA is a lot more strict and more tightly controlled. GSM is pretty generic.
    10-22-09 12:11 PM
    Verizon is CDMA, right? It is probably different as CDMA is a lot more strict and more tightly controlled. GSM is pretty generic.
    Yes Verizon is CDMA, Unless you have a world phone.
    My storm is GSM/GPRS/EDGE.
    10-22-09 12:20 PM
    The IMEI can probably be blocked for an AT&T sim card. But if the person
    unlocks the phone, they can use it as they please with any sim card.
    10-22-09 12:20 PM
    Yes Verizon is CDMA, Unless you have a world phone.
    My storm is GSM/GPRS/EDGE.
    The storm still runs on CDMA with verizon. It only uses GSM, etc if you stick in a sim card and use it on tmobile, at&t, or overseas. You can probably have rim block the PIN so data will be useless but they can still stick another carriers sim card in it and use for calling.
    10-22-09 01:04 PM
    Even a blacklisted cdma phone only stops it from being used with that particular carrier. There is no collective esn blacklist.

BB pin block is your best hope.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by strunke; 10-22-09 at 03:47 PM.
    10-22-09 03:45 PM
    so theres no one I can get this persons info if they put at SIM card in it?
    10-23-09 11:48 AM
    Nope no way the carriers will give you that information, and what if it's being used on a different carrier. They definitely wont know. Just take the phone as a loss I know it sucks but what you gonna do right.
    10-23-09 12:45 PM
    SOB. ok thanks
    10-23-09 12:54 PM
    meh, don't sweat it. karma's a real b*tch. be good and you'll get your due.
    10-23-09 02:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD