Hey guys
    If I can get an answer anywhere it is probably here.
    So tonight I had my brand new 9900 stolen right out of my coat pocket. At first I had no clue it was stolen and in the car I tried calling it with my girlfriends cellphone. When i went back to the restaurant it clicked to me that it was the people behind me who had stolen it out of my pocket. When I used protect it was too late.

My question is, can I use bb protect to find it even if they put another sim card in it and find the phone? Does anyone have any experiences with this?

Thank you
    12-03-11 01:51 AM
    As long as it's on and the SIM card has BIS. Keep the phone in your pants.
    12-03-11 01:58 AM
    I just noticed that while I was trying to locate it, I was able to wipe the phone. Will I still be able to find it even if the phone is completely reset?
    12-03-11 02:09 AM
    Yes you can..... You can locate it using GPS
    12-03-11 02:38 AM
    Hi,

Since you wiped the device already, you should now lock it using Protect. You can then use the GPS to locate it as ichat said. Then of course if you have not already done so file a theft report with your local Police department and tell them where the GPS is saying it is. Do not try to confront the thieves yourself, have the Police do that.
    JR A, bbman93 and Lei.la like this.
    12-03-11 08:02 AM
    +1 on all that.
    #1)lock it, #2 wipe it, #3 msg on the screen, #4 GPS, #5 Police
    12-03-11 09:03 AM
    That's only if the people whole stole it didn't turn off the gps themselves. Worse case scenario, you have already wiped it, call the insurance company to report it stolen and they can send you another one. The bad part about it is there are companies now like Metro PCS that can unlock any type of phone now and activate them.
    JR A likes this.
    12-03-11 11:01 AM
    But cant the phone be found using the IMEI and GPS, I do know that T-mobile is running really strict on that cause of how people would buy phones and sell them and claim they were stolen profiting. Now they say that since the PIN and IMEI never change that they can keep track of whose using it and where the phone is, and aren't other companies that see if a phone is stolen report it.
    12-03-11 11:24 PM
    Hi,

if you have PhoneBAK (Bak2u) on your device, it can help you.
    12-04-11 02:40 AM
    First report to the police... then do all the other things.
    12-04-11 05:23 AM
    I didn't notice if you contacted your carrier, It may show up if someone trys to change the number. Had a friend who had lost his phone and he reported to carrier and two days later they called him to advise they had his phone. Someone tried to activate it and they took and called the real owner.
    12-04-11 05:37 AM
    I see....... Although a point isn't valid. How can you disable GPS if the phone is locked....... Anyway PINS and IMEI are very handy. They never can change unless you trash the phone. Basically leave it to the carrier and authorities to confront the thieve. Never go to fish your phone by yourself
    Apollo_Creed likes this.
    12-04-11 05:41 AM
    Just call your carrier, they will blacklist the IMEI. = real $600 brick
    12-04-11 11:48 AM
    I see....... Although a point isn't valid. How can you disable GPS if the phone is locked....... Anyway PINS and IMEI are very handy. They never can change unless you trash the phone. Basically leave it to the carrier and authorities to confront the thieve. Never go to fish your phone by yourself
    Ichat, the op never did say that his phone was locked which lead me to believe that if he can't track it the gps has been turned off. Which he did say he was able to wipe it remotely but the only way to do that the gps has to be on. I was just verifying a what if situation in this ordeal and nothing more.
    12-05-11 08:19 AM
    hmm interesting.. I'm not a blackberry thief but I want to buy a 2nd hand BB preferrably a 9780 for about �160 if it is a stolen bb that i buy what will happen? is there any chance that I would get my money back or anything like that? im not very smart sorry
    12-05-11 08:34 AM
    hmm interesting.. I'm not a blackberry thief but I want to buy a 2nd hand BB preferrably a 9780 for about �160 if it is a stolen bb that i buy what will happen? is there any chance that I would get my money back or anything like that? im not very smart sorry
    If the Berry was stolen and reported to the carrier, then you are out about �160. Get a used phone from an authorized retailer and then you know if something happens, you're covered. Phones are really inexpensive used these days.
    12-05-11 10:35 AM
    Always keep your phone in your pants. Better call the police and press charges
    Most cops won't do anything. I had my checkbook stolen. Asshats used my debit card, credit card and started writing bad checks. They even used one of my checks to set up utility service. Cops had their address but wouldn't do anything because the district attorney wouldn't file charges over something so petty. I got all the money back into my new accounts and that was all I was worried about.

As for the phone, cops usually won't bother. I dispatched for years and I took a few stolen cell phone reports. 99.5% of the time, the report was thrown on the detective's desk and the case was closed after a few days and nothing was ever done. You're better off just filing an insurance report and getting a new one unless you live in a place like Mayberry and Andy and Barney Fife are on duty.
    12-05-11 10:57 AM
    Well when I went to file the report, the cop said there was nothing he can do. His words were:"Even if you do find it with the gps were not gonna get a search warrant and bust his front door down for a phone"

Since I wiped it remotely, will i be able to track it if he puts a new sim in it? Im using my 9700 right now but I didnt transfer anything from bb protect so it still thinks im using the 9900. Will it let me track it even if someone else has their sim in it? Some say yes but others are telling me no
    12-05-11 11:04 AM
    Well when I went to file the report, the cop said there was nothing he can do. His words were:"Even if you do find it with the gps were not gonna get a search warrant and bust his front door down for a phone"

Since I wiped it remotely, will i be able to track it if he puts a new sim in it? Im using my 9700 right now but I didnt transfer anything from bb protect so it still thinks im using the 9900. Will it let me track it even if someone else has their sim in it? Some say yes but others are telling me no
    Yes and No. If GPS is disabled or if they're inside, you won't be able to track it. If you wiped it, likely BB protect is no longer on the device, so you won't be able to track it. File a report with your carrier and have them blacklist the IMEI. They won't be able to use data on it, period, so you'll be good to go.
    12-05-11 12:04 PM
    Just a little update. I called Rim a little while ago and they dont seem to know what they're saying. One person says I can track it no matter what, and the next says I cant track it anymore since the sim card has changed and it respects the other persons privacy. I keep monitoring bb protect and it wont locate it, I tried to add the person to bbm and I got refused. I sent him a pin saying the phone is stolen (in case it is being used by someone who bought it). So far nothing is working and RIM is useless.

Can someone please help me?
    12-06-11 03:46 PM
    Just a little update. I called Rim a little while ago and they dont seem to know what they're saying. One person says I can track it no matter what, and the next says I cant track it anymore since the sim card has changed and it respects the other persons privacy. I keep monitoring bb protect and it wont locate it, I tried to add the person to bbm and I got refused. I sent him a pin saying the phone is stolen (in case it is being used by someone who bought it). So far nothing is working and RIM is useless.

Can someone please help me?
    I'll repeat this: Sim was changed, you cannot track it, since bb protect is no longer installed, gps is turned off. You are going to have to call your carrier and have them blacklist it once you've reported it as stolen. There is no other way to track it now.
    12-06-11 03:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD