Stolen BBerry and the LAW... sort of off topic
01-24-09 04:09 AM
- So when do start or stop?
Do you tell on someone for!
Taking 2 newspapers insteat of one?
Stealing out locker rooms?
Stealing music off peer-peer site?
Steal from work?
Would you tell on
Co - Workers
I mean they are all wrong and they will get caught and have pay to for the crime.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com01-22-09 09:31 AM
It starts when one can make a reasonable assumption that the potential harm
to another exist. A thief having someones wallet with all of their ID, which
include name, address, SSN, etc... falls into this category, don't you think.
I mean really, isn't this a reason we advise people to lock their phones.01-22-09 10:43 AM
- earlier I walked in the locker room as the thieves were walking out (or the ones i suspected were)They looked about high school age so i told my younger brother to keep a look out at school... he went above and beyond, got ones of his friends that hangs out with this group (they are sort of the wannabe gang member type). That kid found the kid who stole my phone got it to my brother who then got it to me..
WOOT got my Bberry back... But the story isn't over and now i don't know what to do
So what do you think?
Your brother and his friend are both part of this "group" and once he found out your phone was part of the take, he fished it out and got it back to you. Sure he/they weren't in the gym that day, but who just gets back a part of the stolen goods to the rightful owner, just sniffing around? I mean other than Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys or the Scooby Doo gang?
This I have a feeling is something that has crossed your mind and it's not these thieves you don't want getting in trouble, but your brother. because the police are going to be thinking the same thing.
"How does a "good kid" and his trusty sidekick, get in with "thugs" to get back stolen goods?"
Answer, he doesn't unless he is more involved in the story, and what he told you was to cover his a$$. Which I'm afraid is how the police are going to be looking at your brother and his friend's story.
Now as for what I would have done? The group would have been rounded up somewhere between "Woot I got my phone back" and hearing the story. If I will call the police on my own brother for stealing from me (I did it in a heart beat, twice), I would not think twice in calling them again if someone else had stolen from me, especially after finding out who one of thieves was. My thinking, don't do the crime if you are not willing to do the time.01-22-09 12:08 PM
- Ok so i just got time to read all of these posts.
I think some of you who are telling me to report the crime are a little confused or don't understand the situation exactly. Right now i'm wishing i hadn't gotten the phone back and the kids had gotten caught another way.
These kids are no older than 15 or 16 (sophomores in high school), but i'm not about to underestimate them and get my brother or his friend hurt. ITs not likely but not worth the risk.
I am confident that my brother is not ever involved in this group, it is an ethnic thing, my brother being white and the majority of the gang types are latino. Not trying to stereo type but its the way it is.
The other people who got things stolen were not friends of mine, which doesn't make a difference of whether or not i should report it, but they seemed to make it clear that they didn't give up anything that would give away information of them. (I think the wallet was actually just a money clip)
The thief knows that my brother and his friend know it was all stolen. What i'm worried is that if i report who it was, that my brother and his friend will not be on good terms with the people in the gang, which even here is probably not a good thing. I wouldn't be worried if they could get locked up or something because then the threat from them would be gone but since they are under 18 my only chance of that is that they get deported (trying not to stereo type but many of the latinos in our town are illegal.
I just don't know if getting the other peoples stuff back is worth getting my brother and his friend hurt.01-22-09 02:00 PM
I understand fully (it's an ethnic thing). Your bother is white and can't lie, even to you (in your mind) and could not have been part of it, I get that. But of course he being white without the power to lie or be part of a gang or a gang wannabe, is the token whitey that is "in" with these thieving ethnics, enough to know who to talk to one of them (through a friend no less according this his story so far anyway),and is smooth enough to get property back, I get that as well. You feel that now that your brother knows who the thieves are (well one of them anyway) and they know who is, that the "good blood among thieves", will keep him safe, as long as he does not snitch. I get that too.
So your mind has been made up for you. Since you feel that no one that had items stolen, will in anyway be harmed or can be traced back to those owners for more to be stolen later.
I knew that you were not going to report anything to the police, just from how you phrased your responses. And I understand that too.
What I don't understand is how a group of non gym member ethnics, can just walk in a gym locker room, in a small town and no one notices. I mean if as you say many of them are illegal. I would think that the over all town radar would be to watch them like hawks. I mean since illegal = gangs (well sorta gangs), and stealing and all that. Good thing one of those ethnics had a good heart and wanted to get some good props from your white bother and his friend.
If I had been your brother, I would have made the call to the police myself.01-22-09 02:37 PM
- PJDELL, a question for you.
Your phone was stolen a few days ago, and when you got it back, had there been any phone calls or text messages made on your phone that you could not have made, during the time it was "stolen"?
It would be the odd stolen phone that was not used at least once to make a phone call.01-22-09 02:49 PM
- If I was in your shoes I wouldn't say 1 thing due to the safety of your bro. After all, he went out of his way and risking a lot to get your stuff back from some punks. If they get busted the kids are obviously going to know it was your bro who told you, and you told the authorities. And when that happens your brother is gonna get beat to **** and I would never let that happen to my brother.01-22-09 02:53 PM
- call your provider and tell them you lost it for a few days. also reportback to the police that your device was recovered.
if any erroneous calls were made, you can then argue that the phone was not in your possession. tell them you lost it in the park or something and the person who found returned it to you a few days later. the story does not matter and unless the phone has been tied to a CRIME you should cover your own rear.
Last edited by Bear7079; 01-22-09 at 03:06 PM.01-22-09 03:03 PM
- You have to look at it this way...how would you feel if someone got back their property and you didnt because they didnt want to tell. I would let the police know for sure. They do have cameras everywhere so these thieves wont know who told because they were "caught on camera". I would say something if it was me....you dont have to mention how you got your stuff back so not to involve your brother and his friend.....let your morals and conscience answer your own question!01-22-09 03:13 PM
- I can understand wanting to protect your brother but why do you worry what will happen to the kids who stole the items? They obviously weren't too concerned with it when they took the items. You and your brother have the opportunity to do the right thing. It's not the easy choice but you know its the right one. Have these kids ever been in trouble? Its a whole new ball of wax when they get caught and the police show up. I know kids who acted rough and tough but when they got caught they turned into sobbing children. Honestly it sounds like you have over thought this and you are letting your paranoia get the best of you. You're an adult, turn these kids in to the police.01-22-09 08:35 PM
- I don't think he is worried about the trouble the thieves will get into or what trouble his brother might get into. He is more worried about the thieves coming back to get his brother and his friend. These types of people will have a vengeance to the people that helped get them caught.01-22-09 09:45 PM
- They deserve to get into trouble and will if god or karma has anything truth to either. Move on dude close and this thread. No one will feel any wrath of the gang but you and ya bro. They ppl are on their high horse and act like they never looked the other way. Do what ya feel in ya heart no one can make this decison for ya
No snitches No stitches
Hear no evil Speak no evil See no evil Snitch none either
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
Last edited by coachcurtisbusse; 01-22-09 at 11:19 PM.01-22-09 10:18 PM
- Coach, with all due respect, what are you talking about.
You know nothing about any of our lives or the choices and
decisions we have made in life, and to completely dismiss that
is more indicative of your moral character than any of ours.
You want to talk about "high horses" fine, we'll do that when
you step down off the one that allows you to make sweeping
generalizations about people you don't actually know.
And this "no snitches" rule is precisely why criminals can act
with impunity. What you are advising people to do is to
punk out. I hope you don't coach your charges that way.01-22-09 11:09 PM
- The information you have is valuable to us. If I were handling your investigation, I would need to know you recovered your phone and how you did it? This would save wasted investigative time. I could then aim my investigation toward the school, get statements, obtain warrants, possibly recover the stolen property while its still at the suspects house(s) and file charges on the suspect in possession of it. Time matters.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com01-22-09 11:13 PM
- AG its a phone thread, not a hate site. I have the most respect for you and the sites info I learn from you guys. I won't say you but ill say most of ya all say telling the police its the only thing to do. That is easy for you or I to say we will not have to deal with any backlash from the gangstas. That's where I get the high horse from. He has to make his own mind up. You don't not know me either or how I coach. So watch ya mouth I was talking to the thread and the OP I didn't call you out ya name. I didn't point you out and judge you as you did me. Who is on there high horse. I'm sure you have a problem with me. Why I don't know maybe your wife treats you like crap or takes on many lovers leaving you feeling like you aint holding up ya end of ya bargin... What ever the reason I see you find a problem wit me. Its to bad I'm a good guy if you got to know me. What's moral or not moral is one thing this is petty and not worth getting killed over. That's why I said thw snitch thing. Come holla at in the bay AG I hope to see you soon.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com01-22-09 11:34 PM
- Coach, actually I don't have an issue with you. I would not read
what you write if I did. You'd be living in my ignore list.
My point is that it is easy for all of us to
sit here and make suppositions and wild speculation, but at the
end of the day right is right.
My point is that you have in multiple post stated those of us
who advise this young man to do the right thing are somehow
high and mighty with a flexible moral compass, and that, I'm
sorry bothers me despite the fact that you and have been in
agreement on more issues than not.
The rest of the childishness of your post I will not dignify
with a response. Again, it says more about you than it does me.
Now, do you think we can get back on topic.
You and I can discuss this in PM if you like. This
thread is not the place for it
Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 01-22-09 at 11:52 PM.01-22-09 11:49 PM
- Originally Posted by coachcurtisbusseAG its a phone thread, not a hate site. I have the most respect for you and the sites info I learn from you guys. I won't say you but ill say most of ya all say telling the police its the only thing to do. That is easy for you or I to say we will not have to deal with any backlash from the gangstas. That's where I get the high horse from. He has to make his own mind up. You don't not know me either or how I coach. So watch ya mouth I was talking to the thread and the OP I didn't call you out ya name. I didn't point you out and judge you as you did me. Who is on there high horse. I'm sure you have a problem with me. Why I don't know maybe your wife treats you like crap or takes on many lovers leaving you feeling like you aint holding up ya end of ya bargin... What ever the reason I see you find a problem wit me. Its to bad I'm a good guy if you got to know me. What's moral or not moral is one thing this is petty and not worth getting killed over. That's why I said thw snitch thing. Come holla at in the bay AG I hope to see you soon
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com01-22-09 11:59 PM
ideas about how to get there. No need for any us us to be fighting each
other over an SEP (Someone Elses Problem)
Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 01-23-09 at 10:11 PM.01-23-09 12:02 AM
- Popular at CrackBerry
- General BlackBerry Discussion
Stolen BBerry and the LAW... sort of off topic
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD