I live in south texas, and it seems to me that all the hot new BB are always launched thru ATT and T-mobile. They seem to take forever to be launched thru verizon and sprint. I understand they probably do this because the other carriers have gsm networks as opposed to the cdma network but it really sucks. I have tried each carrier at one time or another and have to say that in my opinion sprint is the best choice for me based on where i live. So does anyone know if RIM will ever launch new models on both platforms GSM and CDMA relatively close together. I have my eye on either the Bold or the Thunder but i dont think they will be CDMA compatible. Any feedback would be great!
    06-24-08 08:44 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

I know this is disappointing... being left in the dust while other carriers get upgraded to newer, better, slicker and sexier devices. I do not think there is anything to do about it, really

Canadian and European carriers are mainly GSM. Since TMo and ATT are also GSM they usually see the devices sooner because the release of GSM devices and upgrades reaches more users world-wide.

CDMA releases only really affect Sprint and VZW. That is another reason why they always get delayed releases of OS upgrades as well.

*EDIT* : The one device that may be exclusively CDMA (at least for some time) is the Thunder. This may see the light of day fro Sprint at some point, but is targeted to be exclusive for VZW.
    06-24-08 08:48 AM
    Probably not. I would suggest switching carriers if they have good service and you're not planning on leaving south Texas anytime soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 08:48 AM
    The Bold is rumored to have a relatively short delay between the GSM release and the CDMA version release. The Bold is rumored to be released for Verizon in September.

Only time will tell.
    06-24-08 08:53 AM
    I live in south texas, and it seems to me that all the hot new BB are always launched thru ATT and T-mobile. They seem to take forever to be launched thru verizon and sprint. I understand they probably do this because the other carriers have gsm networks as opposed to the cdma network but it really sucks. I have tried each carrier at one time or another and have to say that in my opinion sprint is the best choice for me based on where i live. So does anyone know if RIM will ever launch new models on both platforms GSM and CDMA relatively close together. I have my eye on either the Bold or the Thunder but i dont think they will be CDMA compatible. Any feedback would be great!
    Well the Thunder is rumors to hit Verison first and be exclusive to them as long as they hold up sales and all that mumbo jumbo...but to be honest with you I think the Thunder is a hoax anyway so I'm not getting my hopes up on that one to the slightest bit.
    06-24-08 09:05 AM
    The reason Verizon is late on releasing new phones is because they take a long time to find ways to disable all the good functions......
    06-24-08 09:11 AM
    I don't think it is worth the fancier phone to have to deal with the "other" carriers. Verizon came out with the 8330 curve which has a video player and holds an 8G memory card and I can tether the interent with. The 8310 or 8320 which I previously owned, doesn't have these features. First to release isn't always the best...
    Last edited by YaYa; 06-24-08 at 09:40 AM. Reason: typo
    06-24-08 09:38 AM
    Yes but you are stuck with VZW GPS locking, and other issues with the new OS for the Curve you can use larger memory cards.
    06-24-08 09:44 AM
    Why do some people keep talking about that which they know very little about. The only Apps verizon has a Restriction on is their GPS. And I repeat, a restriction!
    As to CDMA carrier getting their phones at a later date than GSM carriers is a matter of previous agreement between RIM and the respective carriers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD