What's the difference when using an external gps vs. the internal gps? Would it be snappier, more accurate, get better reception?

What made me consider getting a puck is how my battery is sucked dry when using the internal gps...but I'm a bit turned off by the prices of these things. I have read the hype about the Freedom 2000, but at $80 its a bit much for a student like me.

So what are the advantages/disadvantages? Are there any noticeable changes in using gps apps on the phone? And what would CB recommend for a bt puck?

Thanks....
    04-29-09 07:24 PM
    I've used the Freedom Keychain 2000 for over a year with my Verizon 8830. I only updated to OS4.5 when Verizon officially released it, so I can give you a fresh comparison between the internal and Freedom GPS's.

Bluetooth GPS Puck Advantages
    1. Fully autonomous GPS: It does not require any processing from the phone network computers. This means it will work in the absence of any cell signal.

2. Flexibility: a Bluetooth Puck can be used as a GPS for other devices in addition to your BlackBerry. I have used mine with my laptop mapping software.

3. Self-contained power: the puck has its own rechargeable battery, and does not depend on the BlackBerry for power.

Internal GPS Advantages
    1. Availability: you don't have to remember to take it with you.

2. No bluetooth required: you don't have to pair the devices, and put up with sometimes finicky bluetooth connections.

3. Fast starting: the internal GPS chip uses assisted GPS. This helps it find your initial location faster. But assisted GPS uses the phone network computers. If I turn off my cell signal, I lose my satellite reception as well.

As for the Freedom Keychain 2000, it functions very well, with one caveat. It has a battery saver function that requires an acknowledgement from the BlackBerry, or it shuts down. Google Maps is unable to provide this acknowledgement. So if I want to use Google Maps with the Freedom Keychain 2000, I have to run BBMaps as well. BBMaps sends the signal to keep the puck from timing out. I have not read of any other GPS puck that had this behavior.
    04-29-09 09:18 PM
    Hmm thanks alot!

What about the quality of both gpses? Does one pinpoint better than the other? Are either faster than the other?
    04-29-09 11:17 PM
    You are unlikely to be able to detect any difference in the accuracy or speed of the internal vs external GPSes. There are many factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated position. Without comparing the two GPSes to a known fixed position at the same time, I can't say which is more accurate. The internal GPS using assistance from the ground station is faster at locking on to satellites initially, but once locked on, both GPSes update at about the same rate, about once per second. It's hard to say how fast the external GPS might be, because it has to pass its data through Bluetooth to the BlackBerry.

Bottom line: accuracy and speed aren't good discriminators for deciding between internal and external GPSes.
    04-30-09 06:17 AM
    I believe the external gps's lock onto more sats, up to ten I'm told, not from experience, and accurate with in less feet or metres, again word of mouth not experience, mind you since I did the ip and port mod for the blackberry gps it sure is quick to lock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 06:43 AM
    I've used the Freedom Keychain 2000 for over a year with my Verizon 8830. I only updated to OS4.5 when Verizon officially released it, so I can give you a fresh comparison between the internal and Freedom GPS's.

Bluetooth GPS Puck Advantages
    1. Fully autonomous GPS: It does not require any processing from the phone network computers. This means it will work in the absence of any cell signal.

2. Flexibility: a Bluetooth Puck can be used as a GPS for other devices in addition to your BlackBerry. I have used mine with my laptop mapping software.

3. Self-contained power: the puck has its own rechargeable battery, and does not depend on the BlackBerry for power.

Internal GPS Advantages
    1. Availability: you don't have to remember to take it with you.

2. No bluetooth required: you don't have to pair the devices, and put up with sometimes finicky bluetooth connections.

3. Fast starting: the internal GPS chip uses assisted GPS. This helps it find your initial location faster. But assisted GPS uses the phone network computers. If I turn off my cell signal, I lose my satellite reception as well.

As for the Freedom Keychain 2000, it functions very well, with one caveat. It has a battery saver function that requires an acknowledgement from the BlackBerry, or it shuts down. Google Maps is unable to provide this acknowledgement. So if I want to use Google Maps with the Freedom Keychain 2000, I have to run BBMaps as well. BBMaps sends the signal to keep the puck from timing out. I have not read of any other GPS puck that had this behavior.
    Jeff, as always, thanks for the comparison... will refer friends to this.
    05-27-09 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD