A question which is asked time and time agin within these forums.

The spin on it I'm looking at is that if you strip out the apple app store, what are you actually left with in comparison with the new Bold 9900?.

I'm a BB user and have been for some time. For the first time ever I'm now looking at what Apple have to offer. This is mainly due to the fact that the operating system for the Bold 9900 will almost certainly be replaced by RIM by the middle of 2012. Therefore I'm reluctant to spend circa �450 on a handset.

On the other side of the coin I'm not a big fan of apps and can take them or leave them, therefore I don't know which way to go. Some friends of mine have iphones and would never go back to Blackberry. Also seems like the email on iphones is improving all the time which is a big + for me.
    I've always looked at Iphones as toys and Blackerries as comms devices.

What are other members thoughts on this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-14-11 07:17 AM
    The iPhone certainly is no more a toy than the BlackBerry, nor is the BlackBerry that much more of a communication device than the iPhone.

BUT it is how you wish to play, vs how you wish to communicate that really predicates which is better.

You CAN NOT, have a fully functional device with the iPhone without downloading apps, the iOS is very much a Shell to launch apps that do everything you could need, now you will get a lot done without apps, but out of the Box all 3rd party apps aside, BlackBerry does offer more.

I despise the iPhone, and iTunes, yet I don't say I'll never have one, those that say "I'm never going back to BlackBerry" are blindly loyal and don't care what is better, they want to be able to say, I have a stance and this is what I stand for.

Should you Shell out 450 quid on a BlackBerry today? that completely depends on your financial status, I am fully aware that OS7 is going to have the smallest App library of BlackBerry's since OS4.2 because developers Will be using HTML 5 and making WebWorks Applications for the PlayBook and BBX, that may or may not be OS7 compliant, that said I buy a new phone every year, so my OS7 phone is the most funcational BlackBerry available, so I purchased it now, and next summer I'll be looking at my next purchase, maybe a stragler purchase between now and then, but that's neither here nor there if you don't care about Apps, At all, OS7 devices are a great upgrade from OS5 devices, and worth the money, if you want app support, then you should find out WHAT apps you want and compare iOS functionality with those Apps to BBOS7 functionality with Similar or equivalent apps if available.
    11-14-11 08:05 AM
    iPhone=apps and games on something that can also be a phone and message.

BB=a phone and messaging that can also have some apps and games.

Pick your poison.
    11-14-11 08:07 AM
    You CAN NOT, have a fully functional device with the iPhone without downloading apps, the iOS is very much a Shell to launch apps
    I don't know if that's totally accurate. In fact, I'd say that's a misinformed statement.

They are both fine devices. The debate is old and tired at this point. Why not throw the new Droid Razr into the conversation though? Very nice phone.
    11-14-11 08:22 AM
    For me, I had an iPhone and it was all hype and drama from the media, it was a toy for my uses. I found that for what I needed and wanted - a BlackBerry was better suited for me.

However if you don't require a keyboard because you don't email all day, or text message, or BBM etc. Then possibly an iPhone is best for you. However, if you need a communication device - then the Bold 9900 is very hard to beat. And believe me, writing long emails on a touchscreen becomes a chore and you'll want a physical keyboard.

Most of the people I know who have an iPhone use it solely for apps. If they are going to do emails they use a BlackBerry or their computer! Very few people I know use an iPhone as their main phone. (However, for their needs it fulfils it!) For me, I am able to do everything I need on a BlackBerry which saves carrying two phones or a laptop and an iphone or more! But everyone's needs are different and no one smartphone is better. They all have different purposes.

However, regarding apps - check out the ones you want and see if they are available!

11-14-11 11:50 AM
    If you are interested in the next HUGE app, odds are it will be for iphone first. Just something to consider. One of the many reasons I switched my personal device. I couldn't stand waiting for skype.
    11-14-11 12:30 PM
    I partially agree with deRusett. It not only depends on what you want to do - but how you want to do it. I strongly advise everyone to sit in the store or bug your colleagues and play with the phones for as long as you can before making a decision. It removes some of the numbers and statistics from your brain for a second and let's you discover and use the smartphone.

For example, every time I see the newest Android phone, I am always interested because of the incredible specs they come out with (and the larger sized screens I love). However, when I go and use one, I'm always disappointed. I am clumsy with the OS and it feels clunky and more like a tinkerers device, etc... It frustrates me because I know what I need to do and I have a **** of a time doing it on Android.

The same is true with almost everything... pick what you love or what you can get used to and what's going to suit your needs the best. For me, it is an iPhone, for deRusett, it's a BlackBerry. As far as I know, we're both businessmen who do similar things with our phones, it really bubbles down to you - and it's not something anyone here will be able to help you with too much unfortunately.
    Lyls likes this.
    11-14-11 01:47 PM
    I agree with NickA44. That is a misinformed statement that all iOS is is a shell. I have an iPad that could easily be used without downloading apps. The apps make it better, though. From work to entertaining. There are better work applications available, too.

At this point, I have finally come to the point (with a HDMI out cable and bluetooth keyboard) that I don't really need a computer. I have Apple TV, too. Streaming audio, photos, and looking at email on a big screen is easy. Presentations with VGA out and Keynote are beautiful and always on you. Using a full size keyboard is painless. I can write reports and take videos. It all stays synched up with iCloud.

You could easily do most of this without buying apps (but iWork is so inexpensive and so awesome).

The hardware is better too on the iPhone (camera, processor, and now battery life) and it is truly becoming a computer where you can store all your information.

For me, I am going to iPhone 4S. Just ordered mine in 64 gig unlocked last week.

Good luck in whatever you decide. (You mentioned some friends have iPhones, with iMessage you can chat with them for free).
    11-14-11 02:11 PM
    How about converting to Judaism instead? I know a wonderful Rabbi...oh, nevermind.

The point is changing phones isn't like changing religions. The fact is, outside of fansites like this one there isn't much interest in brand loyalty (at least in my observation). If you like the style of iphone and it does what you need then great. If you don't, you buy something else. No big deal, really! I happened to buy my BB because I tried a bunch of phones out and it was the one that suited my needs and wants. I didn't care so much about playing video games or watching youtube on the biggest, brightest screen at work so alot of what the competition offered didn't matter to me. In summary, brands don't matter all that much: buy what you like.
    Last edited by Lead_Express; 11-14-11 at 03:10 PM.
    pkcable and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-14-11 02:14 PM
    I gave up on iphones mainly due to the ungodly spellcheck and touchscreen typing, if your on the move alot then the typing is very annoying..
    11-14-11 02:17 PM
    Most of the people I know who have an iPhone use it solely for apps. If they are going to do emails they use a BlackBerry or their computer! Very few people I know use an iPhone as their main phone. (However, for their needs it fulfils it!)
    I use my iPhone for work emails more than I do my computer. Mainly because I'm away from my computer so much. Right now, I am at my desk and both my phones are somewhere on the desk, but I'll reach for my iPhone before I reach for my Storm2 to send an email. IMO, typing is easier on my iPhone because of the lack of SurePress.

I gave up on iphones mainly due to the ungodly spellcheck and touchscreen typing, if you're on the move alot then the typing is very annoying..
    Not to me it isn't. I type and walk all the time without any problems.
    11-14-11 02:23 PM
    personally for me, at this point i will still go with a bb.
    i'm still new to the touchscreen world (my previous was a 9700) and i wouldn't fancy such a drastic switch from a keypad only to touch only.

maybe in future I might consider one but for now, the iphone is not appealing enough to warrant the switch

(all this is assuming i didn't buy my 9900)
    11-14-11 02:30 PM
    I've tried an iPhone in the past... it just didn't live up to the hype
    11-14-11 02:50 PM
    This is mainly due to the fact that the operating system for the Bold 9900 will almost certainly be replaced by RIM by the middle of 2012.
    Replaced sounds more stark than I think it will be. The OS7 devices have several years of support yet I would expect. Businesses would not roll it out otherwise. OS7 is fast and more or less functionally able to do what all the others can, if people care to make apps for it.
    11-14-11 03:22 PM
    How about you just get an ipod touch and keep your bb and have best of both worlds.. That's what I did and couldn't be happier.. I have my bb for communication and ipod touch for media, music, html email and apps.. Can't go wrong with that!

11-14-11 05:07 PM
    iPhone=apps and games on something that can also be a phone and message.

BB=a phone and messaging that can also have some apps and games.

Pick your poison.
    It's a good way of looking at it. It's everyone's personal preference. What do you want your phone to do? What utility do you need?
    11-14-11 05:42 PM
    I use my iPhone for work emails more than I do my computer. Mainly because I'm away from my computer so much. Right now, I am at my desk and both my phones are somewhere on the desk, but I'll reach for my iPhone before I reach for my Storm2 to send an email. IMO, typing is easier on my iPhone because of the lack of SurePress.

Not to me it isn't. I type and walk all the time without any problems.
    I'm on my iPod touch all the time because i actually think the spell check and soft keyboard are awesome. Clearly superior to my Vibrant and better than my windows phone.

I can touch type on that thing better than any other device I have ever used. Even a blackberry.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    11-14-11 05:53 PM
    It really depends what you want. I find my iPhone much more useful than my old BlackBerry was, but others feel differently. There's no doubt that you'll download plenty more apps on an iPhone than a BB due to the selection, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that you need apps to achieve basic functionality on an iPhone. It comes built in with all of the basics. For most the decision mainly comes down to the keyboard.
    11-14-11 08:08 PM
    I would go back to BB from an iPhone if they would only join the 21st century and be able to use IMAP email so you can have all your folders within your inbox email without being on BES. IOS, Android and Windows have IMAP why can't BB. Doesn't sound like a big deal until you are so use to organizing your email like that or need to grab an email you placed in another folder while you are on the go. If only BB would have it I would go back.
    11-14-11 10:02 PM
    A question which is asked time and time agin within these forums.

The spin on it I'm looking at is that if you strip out the apple app store, what are you actually left with in comparison with the new Bold 9900?.

I'm a BB user and have been for some time. For the first time ever I'm now looking at what Apple have to offer. This is mainly due to the fact that the operating system for the Bold 9900 will almost certainly be replaced by RIM by the middle of 2012. Therefore I'm reluctant to spend circa �450 on a handset.

On the other side of the coin I'm not a big fan of apps and can take them or leave them, therefore I don't know which way to go. Some friends of mine have iphones and would never go back to Blackberry. Also seems like the email on iphones is improving all the time which is a big + for me.
    I've always looked at Iphones as toys and Blackerries as comms devices.

What are other members thoughts on this?

Wow, as much as I wish I could generate a predictable, politically correct, lets all get along "both platforms have their benefits" response like the fifteen before me, I just can't.

Blackberry is a dying platform that is becoming more obsolete and irrelevant by the day. I've yet to see a Blackberry 99xx in the wild, meanwhile I can't walk five feet without bumping into someone with an iPhone or HTC/Samsung/Motorola Android. Stick with it only if its saving you a lot of money, otherwise switch like everyone else is.
    11-14-11 11:35 PM
    I was thinking about switching too, the fact that you can't get a call blocker without jail breaking your phone and your tied to the sluggish Itunes was a killer for me.
    11-14-11 11:45 PM
    I don't think this discussion will ever tire or come to an end. I have been a BB user for many years now, & I am very happy with the OS. My husband & daughter both have Iphones & I've played with them many times, & just recently I started going through the whole thought process, once again, of, "why don't I switch to an Iphone?" What holds me back? It's so much faster than my BB. Well, I am finally able to answer my own question.

1. I HATE Itunes with a passion. I can't tell you how many times I've seen my husband & daughter have issues with os updates, missing songs, missing videos, etc. That shouldn't happen. Period. I like having all of my music & videos on a separate memory card that the os is more likely not to mess up.

2. Lack of customization. I love having an led light & being able to customize it with BeBuzz. I love having a call blocking app. I love the LeaveItOn app that gives me fun popups. Lastly, I like that I can use any ringtone out there. The Iphone's ability to customize ringtones is severely lacking. I can download a theme & change my layout any time I want to.

3. I have my BB for email, phone calls, texting, & music. It does what I need it to do, just as my husband's Iphone is truly the perfect fit for him.

I agree with the others that suggest you play with the phones & then make your decision. Don't base it on what others tell you. Making the right decision really requires some hands on time with both devices.

Good luck!
    11-15-11 12:42 AM
    Thanks guys for some very interesting points and views. As I stated at the top, this topic raises itself time and again and throws up all kinds of varied opinions, all which are different to the user.

The bottom line I feel is that there is no right or wrong, only an option out there.

Is it purerly down to apples marketing dept as to why basically the world and their wife are now on board? Or due to other manufacturers POOR marketing?. I just don't think RIM markets very well, (that's just my opinion).

The media play their part also with the iphone hype. You are almost frowned upon in a shop if your wanting to upgrade to a non iphone device.

The choice at this moment in time is there for everyone I guess, hopefully RIM will be here for the long haul.

11-15-11 02:14 AM
    Wow, as much as I wish I could generate a predictable, politically correct, lets all get along "both platforms have their benefits" response like the fifteen before me, I just can't.

Blackberry is a dying platform that is becoming more obsolete and irrelevant by the day. I've yet to see a Blackberry 99xx in the wild, meanwhile I can't walk five feet without bumping into someone with an iPhone or HTC/Samsung/Motorola Android. Stick with it only if its saving you a lot of money, otherwise switch like everyone else is.

of course you haven't seen one "in the wild"...you live in California...

come to Canada, India, south eastern asia, the arab world or any college campus, you'll die of shock
    11-15-11 01:14 PM
    of course you haven't seen one "in the wild"...you live in California...

come to Canada, India, south eastern asia, the arab world or any college campus, you'll die of shock
    But I'm already in a huge, diverse tech market. No need to travel the world to see the writing on the wall.
    11-15-11 06:24 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD