I think Thorsten did an amazing job on Tuesday's keynote. He was on point, he was funny, he was inspiring. He presented the new BlackBerry offering with focus and clarity. Then I started thinking about an alternate reality where Steve Jobs might have delivered this past keynote and went looking on the interwebs for his first iPhone address. On looking back at the infamous keynote presentation from January 2007, I had an epiphany. Apple's OS is now to the point where it is going obsolete. Steve Jobs him self said that he estimated the "revolutionary OS" shipped with iPhone was "5 years ahead of the competition." Well here we are, 5 years later, and iOS has changed, yes, but very minimally. If anything, I think apple has failed to add any value to their mobile OS in the last five years other than perhaps Siri. And in my opinion have taken forever to implement features that even "dumb phones" had when the iPhone launched. I would dare say that anything the iPhone has been able to accomplish in these past 5 years has been due to third party developers.

RIM is at the brink of a huge breakthrough. The market is saturated with phones that look the same and behave the same. Now is the opportunity we have been waiting for. The only difference between the original iPhone launch and BB10 is that, in this case, we publicly know that RIM is working on a game changer. That was not the case with iPhone. Steve and his team worked secretly on the iPhone for 2.5 years before exposing it to the public. We know that RIM has been developing QNX for about 2 years now, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. Developers are starting to code for the PlayBook and by extension BB10, we also have the Dev Alpha hardware to get a head start with BB10 apps, not to mention that BB10 is starting to get its polish, Cascades is out, we have a new CEO on board, a new CMO is in the wings. All the right things are lining up at just the right time. It seems like BB10 Jam was a huge success, so If the Mayan's are wrong and the world doesn't end, BB is getting ready for a long and prosperous life after being in the apparent iPhone shadow for so long with the help of all the wonderful developers out there.
    05-04-12 06:03 PM
    Funny. When I tell iphone people ios bores me because I've had an itouch since day 1 they say how awesome it is and better.

Its squares on a backdrop with a fluid swiping motion. That's it!

Blackberry os is boring from what they all say, its the same general thing. Only difference is ios apps are more rounded. We've had abilities to add folders for years, but when apple does it its amazing!

I don't understand people that don't look before they talk.

End rant

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-04-12 11:09 PM
    I would have to agree with your post and think this is the best one I've actually seen in a long time. Every OS was designed to fit a person's need in a certain way and others for other people.
    05-04-12 11:43 PM
    Yes, I agree with the OP. When people say "RIM is going to die because it's not innovating like Apple", I have to ask, "What is Apple innovating?" iOS has looked and felt the same in the five years since its inception and has actually added very little functionality into what it does natively. I would say that most of what iOS fans boast about their devices are actually third-party software, not actually anything Apple has done. iOS, when compared to Windows Phone, Android (especially), and now BlackBerry 10, is, like Kevin said, an app launcher.

But, enough about Apple and iOS. I cannot wait to see what new innovations BB10 brings to the table. The extensive use of gestures is going to make BB10 fun to just pick up and play with. Oh, that reminds me. I read in a few articles after the keynote that what BB10 does has, apparently, "been around for years." For instance, the keyboard, the gestures, etc. Well, if they've been around for years, then where are they? If RIM has found a way to use old technology and make it successful, then I say all the power to them!
    beamolite likes this.
    05-04-12 11:52 PM
    So True OP. People are starting to "wake up".
    05-05-12 12:24 AM
    Can't wait until the iPhone 5 is released and everyone has the dumb how does Apple keep doing it face, this isn't fair lol. It happens every year. Every year some great awakening and people are finally seeing the iPhone is a scam, they break their own record, and sell more. Give it up already RIM is dying on the consumer front. People finally woke up to their OS being the same since it's beginning, and now it's other OS's turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    vrs626 likes this.
    05-05-12 12:48 AM
    Great post. I've recently had to change up all my cell phones for my small company and I went with Blackberry (6 in total) basically because of the BBM feature. Something that's been around for so many years yet we (my company) is just discovering the power of it and the fact that the cost savings (from a business stand point) is what eventually made me go with BB. Oh and 3G and 4G phones are lightning fast compared to the old iden network that I was on before. Can't wait for the LTE's...lol

Anyway, then I went to a "happy hour" at a friends house and there's a few of us that have BB's but one of our friends just got the new iPhone 4S. Well she was like a kid in a candy store. A few glasses of wine later and not having her reading glasses on, well it was funny watching her PLAY with her new TOY. She asked about our new BB and rather then try and get into a discussion and compare phones, I just said my phone works best for my business and left it at that.

Then I read this post and knowing what the future holds with BB10 it made me realize that although I know what's coming, none of my friends do and some of them own BB's. I wonder how many of them even care. They've got their phone and it works for them. There's approx 77 million BB users world wide. I would imagine that a majority of them are using low end phones or inexpensive plans and probably aren't upgrading to the new BB10. I feel that the RIM / BLACKBERRY wave is just about to start. It hasn't hit the media yet and the buzz is just starting out but I think that over the next few months, RIM is going to dip into their CASH reserve and start spreading the word for BB10. Don't they have something in the "B"illions of cash?

Now no matter what the news media reports, you can't stop advertising. RIM will start it off and the buzz will start to grow. All along the moaners and doubters will continue to say the same old message that RIM is dead or RIM needs to be bought out or what ever yet we'll start to see more commercials on TV and more on the Radio (which I just heard the other day) and the buzz will continue to grow.

But here's what I think.

The VISUAL message is key. Let me explain...

Look at all the phones out there. They all have something over the other. My friend playing with the iPhone, my company coming together through BB, the Androids, the Window phones and the list goes on and on. They ALL can do pretty much the same. One app can do this while the browser on another can do that. Touch screen, screen size, camera x.0.

So something new and I mean NEW. Visually. After all it's just another phone. Right?

W R O N G ! ! !

I have NO IDEA what BB10 is going to be like. I've seen the videos posted by Kevin like everyone else. Everyone here can see Kevin's excitment. Something is different this time.

But IMHO it needs to be more then what we have now. I think it will be based on what I've seen so far. But I've been following this for the past few years. You think some kid in high school cares about what RIM Stocks are doing? They want something COOL. It needs to be something space age / something no one as seen before. It has to blow people away when they see the commercials for the first time. The WOW factor has to happen.

People are going to start talking about BB. We need people to start talking about BB again. And I mean in a good way. It might take time but now is when RIM needs to start getting people to notice their brand. If they don't have a release date it makes it difficult to show off special features from the phone but special apps or apps that everyone would love to have can be promoted in new BB10 commercials. "What you can expect"...get people talking positive about the brand again and create the buzz that Kevin is on.

That's it...hope they do well.
    05-05-12 12:55 AM
    Yeah waking up to how great the iPhone is. (c) the record breaking sales...I'm looking forward to the first bb10 device, however let's not kid ourselves. The next iPhone will be awesome...

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 12:56 AM
    If that's what's happening, those "newly awakened" seem to be making a beeline for iOS and Android based on reports released by the involved companies.
    05-05-12 01:14 AM
    MartyMcfly!!! Economist!!! WAKE UPPPPPPP!!!!

You just dont get 'it'.

Wait, Everyone else is buying apple and android!! Seeya BB!! I'm gonna make a beeline based on reports of how many phones are sold, who cares about personal preference!!! I NEED TO FIT IN AND CONFORM!!!
    05-05-12 01:21 AM
    The next iPhone will be awesome...

Why?...................... wake up?
    05-05-12 01:22 AM
    I love it when the Apple supporters come out and say "Yea iOS is best...Just look at the sales figures ".
    I agree that high sales figures=high profits, but high sales figures doesn't equate to being the best.

If iTrolls line of thought is to be taken a bit further then iOS is best as it sells the most. BBOS is nonsense despite innovations since it sells LESS than iOS.
    Then it goes to follow that MacOSX is one ugly piece of cr@p since it hardly sells when compared to Windows. And obviously Windows is the best OS there is. Apple has no idea how to make computers since MacOSX has a tiny market share.
    So how many of you Apple lovers will agree that MacOSX is horrible since Windows sells more?? Come on guys time to stand up to the plate.

Disclaimer: I use a Mac and I happen to like it a lot. I just don't buy into the argument that what sells most is best. As a matter of fact what sells most is the lowest common denominator. That which even the least informed can use.
    05-05-12 02:37 AM
    MartyMcfly!!! Economist!!! WAKE UPPPPPPP!!!!

You just dont get 'it'.

Wait, Everyone else is buying apple and android!! Seeya BB!! I'm gonna make a beeline based on reports of how many phones are sold, who cares about personal preference!!! I NEED TO FIT IN AND CONFORM!!!
    I get it, consumers want a device that's capable of doing more. (video chat, Netflix, gaming, great apps). What's not to get?

05-05-12 07:12 AM
    Every iPhone user keeps talking about "DOING MORE" and "Great Apps", but I have NEVER seen any iPhone user do anything on their iPhone. Sure their phones have close to 50-60 apps on it, but I swear it just lies on the table. I have NEVER EVER seen an iPhone user "DO MORE THINGS" on the iPhone.
    All I have seen them do is talk on it. They pick it up and TALK...imagine that.
    While folks with a BB are constantly doing something on it. Everyone I know who has a BB has his head down and "DOING SOMETHING", NOT MORE THINGS, but SOMETHING.
    Actually folks with a BB are the most irritating to go out to the pub with. There is zero conversation. Everyone with a BB is just DOING SOMETHING on it and its hard to get a conversation going.

But the iPhones....they just sit on the table and look pretty. And occasionally the owner picks it up to make a call....and yet iPhone users claim to "DO MORE THINGS" while not doing anything with the iPhone. Strange..
    jthep, Delil, Bobcat665 and 2 others like this.
    05-05-12 08:07 AM
    Every iPhone user keeps talking about "DOING MORE" and "Great Apps", but I have NEVER seen any iPhone user do anything on their iPhone. Sure their phones have close to 50-60 apps on it, but I swear it just lies on the table. I have NEVER EVER seen an iPhone user "DO MORE THINGS" on the iPhone.
    All I have seen them do is talk on it. They pick it up and TALK...imagine that.
    While folks with a BB are constantly doing something on it. Everyone I know who has a BB has his head down and "DOING SOMETHING", NOT MORE THINGS, but SOMETHING.
    Actually folks with a BB are the most irritating to go out to the pub with. There is zero conversation. Everyone with a BB is just DOING SOMETHING on it and its hard to get a conversation going.

But the iPhones....they just sit on the table and look pretty. And occasionally the owner picks it up to make a call....and yet iPhone users claim to "DO MORE THINGS" while not doing anything with the iPhone. Strange..
    lol *shrugs*...It's strange that people are glued to their device whether it's a bb/iphone/android in a bar type environment (especially when there's a lot of women around)...When i'm out in public, my device rarely leaves my pocket...
    phonejunky and BoldtotheMax like this.
    05-05-12 08:31 AM
    lol *shrugs*...It's strange that people are glued to their device whether it's a bb/iphone/android in a bar type environment (especially when there's a lot of women around)...When i'm out in public, my device rarely leaves my pocket...
    I move around with the married crowd. We guys have figured (belatedly) that life no longer holds too much of promise...so we just hunker down and stare at our phones .
    The other option is to talk to our wives....
    Last edited by sam_b77; 05-05-12 at 09:10 AM.
    05-05-12 08:36 AM
    Can't wait until the iPhone 5 is released and everyone has the dumb how does Apple keep doing it face, this isn't fair lol. It happens every year. Every year some great awakening and people are finally seeing the iPhone is a scam, they break their own record, and sell more. Give it up already RIM is dying on the consumer front. People finally woke up to their OS being the same since it's beginning, and now it's other OS's turn.

Huh???? Is this Siri???

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 09:16 AM
    Huh???? Is this Siri???

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Must be. It's results are totally useless .
    05-05-12 09:21 AM
    I move around with the married crowd. We guys have figured (belatedly) that life no longer holds too much of promise...so we just hunker down and stare at our phones .
    The other option is to talk to our wives....
    Lol understood.

05-05-12 09:21 AM

Sure we can say that BB is dying on the consumer front, but if you were paying any attention, it's okay. RIM is not going after the entire consumer market, they are targeting a very select group of people. And although it may not be millions of people at first, they know where they have to put their resources. The new iPhone may indeed be great, but I've been waiting 5 years to be wowed, still nothing. But that's just me.

*full disclosure: I own a macbook pro, my wife owns an iPad, and we both have had bb's for the last 5 years. I'm not a fanboy, but if the media attacks continue, I'm going all in!
    05-05-12 10:03 AM
    I think Apple is going to need to change the look of their os somehow because people(other than the clueless brainwashed isheep) are seeing that there are a lot of other great options out there that continue to change and innovate and all apple does is string along it's OS and it still pretty much looks like it did back in 07 and it is really starting to get stale. The grid of icons and side to side swiping may be good for the technically challenged, but people like the ability to customize their device without going through the hassle of jail breaking. now the iphone will sell like crazy like it always does so apple probably will stick with their current model because they don't want to give people to much because then it wouldn't be as smooth and fluid which isn't hard when all you have is a grid of icons.
    05-05-12 10:06 AM

WTF are you talking about? This makes no sense you say the iphone is a scam and it is other OS's turn yet RIM is dying? It's been other OS's turn for awhile hence why android skyrocketed and shows no signs of slowing down.
    05-05-12 10:09 AM
    isheep this, isheep that; and Blackberry 10 is gonna save RIM. iOS is old, and Blackberry 10 is gonna change the smartphone game, yet the only people who believe that is crackberry heads. We have seen what? 3 or 4 elements from Blackberry 10, and no-one thought they were innovative but the crackberry heads. We've heard all this with the Playbook, yet RIM is still a FLOP!
    05-05-12 10:18 AM
    We all have to agree that ALL piece of innovation will die due to age. However, I would like to stress that it depends upon the decisions, audience and circumstances on how long such innovation ages.

Nokia is a good example; for a decade, they held on the top.. until their product comes on a natural decline (approaching bottom; let's hope WP gives it new life). Blackberry too, we got onto the top some years back and now we're on the point of declining (pointy arrow going down; too early to say it's dead though, BB10 will give it new life)... Palm too (well, consensus agreed it's dead)... everyone had their share of tops.

iPhone and Android will eventually die too, but waay too early to tell. We could say that the devices have reached the highest point of their lives. In the case of iOS, we'd seen that it platooned when iPad 3 / iPhone 4S was revealed (platooned on the highest point). Though I am curious what will iPhone 5 / iPad 4 has to offer. If they don't do anything on the iOS, I'd have to agree that it is platooning on a point.

And yes, I agree on MartyMcfly, waving your iPhone or any of our gizmos in public for long is just asking robbers / holdupers to lock on you .
    05-05-12 10:50 AM
    I like how when you talk to an iPhone user about their phone it is always the same old "Yea well iPhone must be better cause look at the sales figures" routine. REALLY? If sales determined the worth of something then you could say The Black Eyed Peas are better then Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, R.E.M, or The Red Hot Chili Peppers because they have sold more albums.

And when you break it down that pretty much explains the two user groups.
    And I would rather listen to Johnny Cash.
    Zidentia, Harborcoat and CDM76 like this.
    05-05-12 12:06 PM
124 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD