I'm not saying anything is wrong with Go Phone but I would assume that since the OP had a contracted plan with Sprint that he would get a contract with AT&T. He'd have to get a contract if he wanted AT&T to help him out of his current contract. They aren't going to offer any assistance with his ETF with Sprint unless he signs a contract with them.
    Roger that. I'm perfectly fine with a contract.
    01-17-15 11:16 AM
    Just talk to att asking them if I could have a line under contract. They said yes even tho I'm bringing my own phone.
    Me go plan is $ 60 / months all illimted and data up to 2.5 gb.
    The plan they would offer me under contract would be $65.00 + tx for everything illimted with data up to 3 gb.
    If I was buying their phone then the price would be at around $80.00/ months for 2 years. So still no saving there.
    That doesn't make sense to me to go on contract .

For someone that would trade carrier I can see it would be better if they take care of the eft.

Conclusion ; yes I could have a line under contract.

Z 30
    01-17-15 04:15 PM
    UPDATE:
    Holy cow. I just talked with a Sprint rep and they are going to release me with no ETF. I'm stunned.

I've been with Sprint since July 1999, and for the first 14 years I had good coverage (until I moved). Also, I've paid my bill automatically every month as long as that service has been available, so I've never been late or missed a bill.

Even so, I'm stunned that there was no argument, no hassle.

<Lil runs to window to see if the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse are stampeding across the sky...>

I think I should buy a lottery ticket today.
    raino and PonyCrazyKid like this.
    01-19-15 10:40 AM
    I am not surprise. There is no point in keeping an unhappy customer, especially a long time one that always paid their bill on time.
    01-19-15 11:09 AM
    You are correct, of course. But I didn't expect logic and reason. I expected "Sorry, it's company policy--you signed it and you live with it."
    01-19-15 04:30 PM
    I don't think you can open up an account with AT&T with a device that they don't currently carry. I could be wrong but you will most likely have to get a device with your plan and then put the SIM card into your classic.
    Sure you can. They are a GSM network, and there's BYOP. You just get a SIM card, activate it, and are good to go.
    01-19-15 04:38 PM
    UPDATE:
    Holy cow. I just talked with a Sprint rep and they are going to release me with no ETF. I'm stunned.

I've been with Sprint since July 1999, and for the first 14 years I had good coverage (until I moved). Also, I've paid my bill automatically every month as long as that service has been available, so I've never been late or missed a bill.

Even so, I'm stunned that there was no argument, no hassle.

<Lil runs to window to see if the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse are stampeding across the sky...>

I think I should buy a lottery ticket today.
    You should take them on the offer and run with it! There is another way of getting released from a contract too, though. I was going to post it, but I'm glad it worked out for you.
    01-19-15 04:40 PM
    There's even a "I have my own phone/tablet option on the AT&T website."
    01-19-15 05:40 PM
    Sure you can. They are a GSM network, and there's BYOP. You just get a SIM card, activate it, and are good to go.
    Good to know, I had no idea they did that.
    01-19-15 06:02 PM
    Last fall I bought a gently used 9900 on ebay and took it to ATT - put it on the gophone plan, because they didn't think I'd have enough signal here - rural, hills, lot of trees. ATT tower is five miles away and the signal is very low 1 maybe 2 or 2.5 bars, but guess what? Bold 9900 gets better call quality than the 4s which is on Sprint 1/4 mile away. The point is that ATT will welcome any phone - you buy a sim and figure out your plan. It's that easy. I'm on auto-replenish - so much easier. I just hope that the signal holds for the 9900 when the trees leaf out next spring! but the back-up plan is to get a Q10 on Sprint to replace 4s - win-win, that's the Blackberry way.
    01-21-15 07:51 PM
    That's right why wouldn't they accept any phone as all phone make them money

From Classic
    01-21-15 09:33 PM
    EPILOGUE: I got my BB Classic from amazon, as I had $130+ saved up in rewards points. As I sat in the parking lot of the AT&T store waiting for it to open, I decided to call Sprint one more time to make sure my ETF was being cancelled.

I dialed in to Sprint and after getting the first customer service rep and telling her my story, I sat on hold for 1/2 hour until a guy from the cancellation department came on the phone and told me, "No, we will not be able to waive your EFT." I was furious, but frankly, not the least bit surprised. I had felt all along that the fairness and rationality I encountered the other day were an aberration and not the Sprint I had come to know and hate love over the past 16 years. I told him my whole long story over yet again (16-year good customer, always paid early, moved, can't get service at my new address, I'm on my THIRD Airave antenna, blahblahblah). and he had the unmitigated GALL to say, "Well, waiving the fee requires a process."

And I said (steam building), "That's why I called TWO DAYS ago to get the process going! I assumed there was a process. Don't give me that 'there's a process' crap!"

He said, "Well, I don't see any documentation that we waived the ETF."

And that was when I absolutely lost it. I told him, no SHOUTED at him my whole story again at the top of my lungs, including how I knew that when I talked to the guy the other day it was too good to be true, and on and on. I did not use the f-word, but I used just about every other one, eventually prefacing most phrases with "g-d-mn." I was mad. I ended the phone call by shouting, "I'll just pay the G.D. ETF and screw you!" Did I mention how mad I was?

By this time the AT&T store was open. I was shaking with fury. Calming down. I went in with my new phone and proceeded to settle down with a sales person to get set up. Then my old phone rang. It was the guy from Sprint. "We have decided to waive your ETF." I was polite and graciously accepted the change of tune. He was quite conciliatory and said if I went online and checked my account, I would see that the contract is no longer in effect. I thanked him. But holy crap anyway.

I do not feel good about the screaming hissy fit I threw. I'm not proud of it. But, sadly, I believe that is what got the ETF waived. I did not strike a blow for civilization that day. I gave in to the forces of entropy and dipped my toe in the waters of the Dark Side. <hangs head, but counts the $$ saved>

Moved my data to Classic, and have spent the last 15 or so hours personalizing my setup and getting used to OS10. I liked OS7, but it wasn't an option when switching carriers. Anyhoo.

My monthly bill with Sprint with one phone was $92. With AT&T and my own phone (which cost right at $300) will be $50.

It does make more sense to go with no contract and bring your phone if you can afford the phone you want.

The end.
    01-24-15 10:06 AM
    EPILOGUE:

The end.
    Glad it all worked out in the end. First world problems can really get the blood pressure worked up at times.

Chime back when you get more time under your belt, BB10 tool belt that is. HA.
    01-24-15 10:11 AM
    No I don't mean you can't use the phone, but will they let you open up a line with them without purchasing a device with it?
    Yes they'll let you I have activated a Chinese iPhone look alike with them. Simply went in there and asked for a sim and a contract.
    I also never had an issue activating a storm, and a touch 2, and a z30 on my current t-mobile service.

Supporting the people's struggle worldwide via my STA 100-5, Z30.
    01-24-15 10:34 AM
    Repeat:
    There's even a "I have my own phone/tablet" option on the AT&T website.
    01-24-15 11:03 AM
    EPILOGUE:

The end.
    I'm glad it worked out. Hopefully you won't be in such a situation again, but I've learned that any calls with CS should be recorded. After all, they do say "this call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes," right? Well, that's consent enough for me. If you're in a one-party consent state, even better.

Online chat works too, if you can email the chat log to yourself, or at least grab a screenshot.
    Lillieperl likes this.
    01-24-15 12:15 PM
41 12