Hello all,

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I have a BlackBerry Torch and my contract is coming to an end shortly. I have been sent messages that I can upgrade to a new Black Berry with no penalties. I waited as I was thinking of moving over to A Samsung. my provider is now sending messages that I can upgrade to any phone with no penalties. So here's my delema... The people working behind the counter at Bell are either useless or I'm not describing my needs across well enough (that is entirely possible).

I write my phone and bills off but that's not to say I want to spend money needlessly!

My phone use is as follows:

Phone calls (this is a phone after all)
    Texting (I struggle with the Torch touch screen key sizes and hate the keypad)
    Tethering to my laptop when required (several times per week)
    Emails and I get a fair amount (some with attachments in the 1-4mb range)
    Facebook
    Calander (my wife has a Samsung Galaxy s3 and we try to sync our calanders but the times often get screwed up for some strange reason)
    Maps
    Some Internet surfing if I need to look something up while I'm out of the office. I find it to be a pain in the **** to browse with my phone. The screen is simply too small.
    Photos (not crazy about the photo capabilities of the Torch)
    Sending photos via text and email.
    Talking in the car using speaker phone (I have to turn off everything in the car and can just barely make out what people are saying).

I don't really do games, or watch tv/videos/music, etc. with my phone. The odd linked video to an email is about all. I love the battery life of my BlackBerry in comparison to my wifes S3. I like using the S3 to go online over my BlackBerry. I get there's going to be a shorter battery life due to the size of her screen vs. mine. I also get that I enjoy her phone more when going online as I can see what it is I am looking at.

Obviously, any smart/super phone is going to do the basics of what I require my phone to do. I am more interested in which phone will do it better than what i have now. I know that BlackBerry compresses their data (at least my Torch does) and as I do tether, this is important to me. Do the new BlackBerries also compress data? The guy at Bell said I would notice very little data usage difference between the Samsung Note3 and
    A new BlackBerry. Is this true??? I also really need to have better speaker phone capabilities than I currently have.

Any guidance is appreciated!
    11-05-13 01:04 AM
    Z30 is perfect.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    southlander and uzmarvel like this.
    11-05-13 01:18 AM
    Hi there.
    No compressed data on BB10, but I really think that BlackBerry's for you!

Z10 via CB10
    11-05-13 01:21 AM
    BlackBerry could be fine for you.
    BB Maps sucks compared to Google Maps, but on all the other requirements you should be fine.
    Z30 is a great device, but you have to decide for 5" and some additional weight. Go and try it out.
    11-05-13 01:31 AM
    Get a blackberry m8 defo for you. Z10 q10 or z30

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 01:38 AM
    Z30 to the rescue? Its smaller (a little) than,GS3. but the screen is still nice to view online contents. Battery life of the Z30 is great(according to user reviews). Then there's the good speakers on that phone. And yes, the email and text messaging + phone call quality of the Z30 or any BlackBerry phones for that matter is competent. But the maps, can't beat Google maps (IMO) but usable.
    But if you like a variety of apps, then I guess Samsung's Note 3 is okay. Or the Nexus 5?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 01:52 AM
    Z30 will be perfect: great screen,super battery,well made and fast. Ideal for browsing,with the best audio quality you can imagine and the best keyboard in the market.. For maps just add 3.5 ? and you'll get BeMapsPro (that is google maps for BB10 with integration for the BlackBerry navigator..)

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 02:13 AM
    I will address your questions one by one. Given your use case, it sounds like BB10 is perfect for you. Right now there are four BB10 phones:
    [LIST][*]Z10: ~4.3" touch screen. The first one, so it doesn't have some things like FM radio and MiraCast.[*]Q10: 3.1" square touch screen, with a Bold style keyboard.[*]Q5: 3.1" square touch screen, with a Curve style chiclet keyboard. A cheaper version of the Q10 with a non-removable battery.[*]Z30: 5.0" touch screen. The newest, so it has features like USB To Go (to plug in your memory stick, mouse, etc.) and some models with wireless charging.

Ultimately, the choice is up to you.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I have a BlackBerry Torch and my contract is coming to an end shortly. I have been sent messages that I can upgrade to a new Black Berry with no penalties. I waited as I was thinking of moving over to A Samsung. my provider is now sending messages that I can upgrade to any phone with no penalties. So here's my delema... The people working behind the counter at Bell are either useless or I'm not describing my needs across well enough (that is entirely possible).

I write my phone and bills off but that's not to say I want to spend money needlessly!

My phone use is as follows:

Phone calls (this is a phone after all)
    All BB10 phones are known to have relatively good voice quality, with the Z30 coming out on top of the competition, especially with it's excellent speakers and microphone array.

Texting (I struggle with the Torch touch screen key sizes and hate the keypad).
    The keyboards on the Q10 and Q5 are slightly larger than before, and very good quality. The Q5 has a "Curve" chiclet style of keys, while the Q10 has a keyboard more like the Bold 9900. There's one difference from before: the keys are now in straight rows.

The touchscreen keyboards on the Z10 and Z30 are phenomenal, I hear. I've not had much experience with them myself, but it has an amazingly accurate system of predicting words, and to select a predicted word just swipe up on the word displayed below the corresponding letter on the keyboard (on virtual frets). It's a matter of preference as to what you prefer.

Tethering to my laptop when required (several times per week).
    This has worked very well for me. You have two options for sharing your internet with another device: through a mobile hotspot or by tethering. Tethering can be through Bluetooth or USB.

Emails and I get a fair amount (some with attachments in the 1-4mb range).
    So far, email has been very good for me. BB10 doesn't face the same restrictions on attachments size as on BBOS, and with the Hub and Priority Hub email is very good. The Hub can be accessed from anywhere in the phone by simply swiping up and to the right, and if you don't see anything urgent you can simply slide back down again to close the "Peek" gesture.

With the new 10.2 OS update, there are "toast" instant notifications that will appear on the top of your screen when an email comes in, allowing you to quickly jump to the Hub. With SMS and BBM, pressing the arrow opens a reply box right on top of you current application, allowing you to do an instant reply and quickly move back to what you were doing before.

Facebook
    Can't say much about this because I don't use it myself, but it I know it is integrated into the Hub.

Calander (my wife has a Samsung Galaxy s3 and we try to sync our calanders but the times often get screwed up for some strange reason).
    I have had no issues syncing my calendar. Any changes always appear on my PC within 15-30 seconds. I go through Outlook.com (EAS) so others may experience different results.

Maps.
    BlackBerry Maps teamed up with TomTom. Maps is lacking somewhat when it comes to features, but makes up for that with it's excellent turn-by-turn directions and voice prompts.

If you require offline maps, your choice is limited, but there are a couple offline map applications in BlackBerry World that are rated very well.

Some Internet surfing if I need to look something up while I'm out of the office. I find it to be a pain in the **** to browse with my phone. The screen is simply too small.
    Before you say anything, the Browser on BB10 is simply phenomenal. It scored highest of all mobile browsers in HTML5, which is what most websites are migrating towards. Even on the Q10 (and Q5) it is a very good experience and is uberfast. One excellent feature is Reader mode, which will reformat a webpage for easy reading, removing all adverts, headers, etc.

Photos (not crazy about the photo capabilities of the Torch).
    I believe all the BB10 phones use the same 8MP camera, except the Q5 which I think is 5MP. The camera is autofocus so works well on macro and works well in sufficient lighting, while still performing relatively well in less desirable situations. I find it actually very good.

One feature you'll like is TimeShift mode, where when you take a picture, ten pictures are taken in succession and you choose the best one. It will detect faces in a group shot, and for each face you can choose the best picture. Everything is merged together seamlessly.

In short, you won't find DSLR performance here, but it's still nearly on par with the iPhone.

Sending photos via text and email.
    Works perfectly.

Talking in the car using speaker phone (I have to turn off everything in the car and can just barely make out what people are saying).
    All the BB10 phone have decent speakers, but with BlackBerry's new NaturalSound, the Z30 has the best, especially through BBM Voice/Video to another BB10 phone. If your car has Bluetooth and supports calls, you should able to connect a BB10 phone fine with it. I know BlackBerry has done their best to make this feature work.

I don't really do games, or watch tv/videos/music, etc. with my phone. The odd linked video to an email is about all. I love the battery life of my BlackBerry in comparison to my wifes S3. I like using the S3 to go online over my BlackBerry. I get there's going to be a shorter battery life due to the size of her screen vs. mine. I also get that I enjoy her phone more when going online as I can see what it is I am looking at.
    Although BB10 has its fair selection of games on BlackBerry World, if you don't need them that's fine. The browser handles video very well.

If battery life is important, watch out for the Z10. It's battery life is average to low, but with the battery charger pack you can quickly swap batteries or simply plug the charger pack into the MicroUSB cable to charge the battery directly without switching. Both the Q10 and Q5 have excellent batteries. From my experience, I can pull 9+ hours with the Q10 when 4G is on, and 14-15 when on wi-fi all day. The Z30 has an advertised and confirmed 25 hours with mixed use. Depending on how hard you use it, that can get you through two days.

Both the Q10 and Z30 have OLED screens, so there's less power draw.

Obviously, any smart/super phone is going to do the basics of what I require my phone to do. I am more interested in which phone will do it better than what i have now. I know that BlackBerry compresses their data (at least my Torch does) and as I do tether, this is important to me. Do the new BlackBerries also compress data? The guy at Bell said I would notice very little data usage difference between the Samsung Note3 and a new BlackBerry. Is this true??? I also really need to have better speaker phone capabilities than I currently have.
    Yes, this is true. BB10 doesn't use BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) like BBOS does. BIS was designed for use in an age when the amount of bandwidth carrier's networks could support was limited, but this is no longer true. As a result, BlackBerry decided to drop it. Note that you won't have to pay those BIS fees anymore, so in the end it might come out even. If you're tethering just occasionly, I reccomend you have at least a 1 GB data plan (which in Canada is usually what you need before the carrier allows you to tether), and if you tether a lot, 2 GB or more.

Any guidance is appreciated!
    I tried my best! Keep in mind that this is a BlackBerry fan site, so opinions may be slightly biased. With that being said, I think BlackBerry is for you. Also remember that it might take a few weeks to adjust to the new OS, and if you use the trackpad a lot, to get used to using the touchscreen. BB10 has a much higher learning curve than other phones, so don't let this put you off.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-05-13 02:21 AM
    I would say z30, but just a heads up, if you are deeply integrated into bis any new phone will be a shock when you're coming from a torch.

what kind of email accounts? be prepared to make some adjustments if they are pop3.
    11-05-13 02:24 AM
    Hi I have the Z10 which I love & with the OS now being 10.2 it just rocks. I have not had the opportunity to try the Z30 yet. But the true bottom line is to make a list of the things that are important to you in your phone and go from there. My Z10 does everything I need and more. I'm in two companies so from the business side it rocks. Great to see you get the opinion of others but at the end of the day you have to do what is best for you & your needs. Rocking with my Z10 & 64GB Playbook.
    11-05-13 02:27 AM
    Z30 hands down.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 02:30 AM
    If you need compression, 9860.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 03:57 AM
    I would have said BlackBerry until a couple of days ago when I tried to security wipe a Z10 and then after the restore, BBM stopped working, without anybody knowing what to do and without me changing the BBID. Now I am not so sure...I still think the 9900 was my last great phone from BBRY.
    11-05-13 04:08 AM
    Yes, I think that the 9900 was the best it simply had everything, the touchscreen, the keyboard and the OPTIONAL TRACKPAD

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 04:14 AM
    Z30 sounds like the phone for you! Let us know how you go. Enjoy!

Sent from my BlackBerry - remember me!
    11-05-13 04:23 AM
    If data compression is what you need - as in you can't find a good data deal - then you need to stick with bbos and bis.

That said, if you go for bb10, then I would only recommend the Z30, as it has everything - as in what should have been included in the first place. Usb on the go (1tb usb key as a hard drive is AMAZING!) and I've found the battery life amazing! (though I'm using my Q10 to write this - the keyboard is great - though the recent 10.2 update has left a wierd glitch where every other button press doubles up the output!).

It's expensive, though - I paid off contract.

If you need maps, well it's limited - you can sideload too.

But then, if you're willing to tinker - go all the way and pick up a nexus 5 - cheaper and you won't have any issues with a lack of flexibility and apps. And it's NOT laggy - we have one here. No carrier bloat and so NO lag. It's phenomenal. That screen is brilliant! The battery life is lacking - the screen is the biggest issue - but I have my trusty Q10 charging pack for backup - though haven't used it yet, I can go through the day no problem, and wireless charge at night.

There is also windows phone to consider, but I think you're going to want to manage files YOUR way, and that requires a file manager - wp8 is like iphone in that regard: handled by apps. It's not a major issue, but it is there.

That said, the lumia range is top notch and nokia drive is better than Google maps. It's offline too. And they use Tomtom data and traffic, cameras and alerts. For FREE! That's value right there! The newly announced 1520 Lumia (the 6 inch beast) looks superb! A mini tablet. And the Office app is an added bonus.

Ultimately, you have choice - don't be swayed by rhetoric: try out the competing devices and see what works for YOU.

Don't go with what the carrier sales person says - read up on mobile nations before going in.

Hope that helps and good luck :-)

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 04:51 AM
    BlackBerry Z30 with 10.2

amazing OS, amazing phone.

Slick, fast, super long battery life, excellent speakers, large screen.

Its the best blackberry ever. Highly recommend.

I have iphone people drooling when I pull this out.

All the best to you OP, and let us know how you make out.
    11-05-13 05:05 AM
    As long as Blackberry keeps doing physical keyboard phones, I'm getting them, no questions asked.
    11-05-13 07:02 AM
    Z30 screen is bigger than GS3, and the same as GS4, I compared them last week. When you hold both GS4 and Z30, you'll know that Z30 looks and feels better and more solid.

Go for Z30 if you like bigger screen, it can do everything you listed. I'm using Google maps on it and working fine.

Z30 to the rescue? Its smaller (a little) than,GS3. but the screen is still nice to view online contents. Battery life of the Z30 is great(according to user reviews). Then there's the good speakers on that phone. And yes, the email and text messaging + phone call quality of the Z30 or any BlackBerry phones for that matter is competent. But the maps, can't beat Google maps (IMO) but usable.
    But if you like a variety of apps, then I guess Samsung's Note 3 is okay. Or the Nexus 5?

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:07 AM
    I am continually amazed that people ask this question on a BlackBerry fan site. What do you think people are going to say- don't buy it? This site would tell you to buy a BlackBerry if they were exploding in their ears. I personally am very disappointed in my q10. The browser is lagging with the chronic spinning circle. The map apps cannot be relied upon. Contrary to popular belief, this is not the greatest operating system ever made for the most awesome phone ever created. Wake up and smell the coffee! There are real reasons these phones didn't sell. I'm sure that someone will suggest my experience will be better with the latest LEAKED download of a newer OS, etc. I'm not interested in leaked/sideloaded anything. If the stupid phone won't work right at the price it was, it is worthless. For everyday work/professional requirements, I still have to rely on my iphone5. I suggest you go to the store and play with the different phones to see what meets your needs. No one can tell you what to buy. With other systems, you have more choices. At the end of the day, that is a lot. I think these phones are overpriced for what they can actually do, and I am in good company- look at the sales.

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    11-05-13 07:11 AM
    I am continually amazed that people ask this question on a BlackBerry fan site. What do you think people are going to say- don't buy it? This site would tell you to buy a BlackBerry if they were exploding in their ears. I personally am very disappointed in my q10. The browser is lagging with the chronic spinning circle. The map apps cannot be relied upon. Contrary to popular belief, this is not the greatest operating system ever made for the most awesome phone ever created. Wake up and smell the coffee! There are real reasons these phones didn't sell. I'm sure that someone will suggest my experience will be better with the latest LEAKED download of a newer OS, etc. I'm not interested in leaked/sideloaded anything. If the stupid phone won't work right at the price it was, it is worthless. For everyday work/professional requirements, I still have to rely on my iphone5. I suggest you go to the store and play with the different phones to see what meets your needs. No one can tell you what to buy. With other systems, you have more choices. At the end of the day, that is a lot. I think these phones are overpriced for what they can actually do, and I am in good company- look at the sales.

Posted via CB10
    To prove you're right, why don't you give your Q10 to the OP. It is worthless anyway. Actions speak louder than words.
    11-05-13 07:17 AM
    Z30 is perfect.

Jakarta, Indonesia
    I agree that the Clerks anywhere are useless. I went to look at a Z30 at future shop and I knew not to ask the clerk any more questions when she said the phone would probably not turn on because the battery had not been put into it. I was surprised when handling the Z30 that it wasn't cumbersome. I too think the Z30 would be perfect as would be the Z10. The Z10 is fantastic for typing didn't try the Z30 as I would of had to install the operating system first and didn't buy because it was on a Telus plan and I would only buy unlocked without a plan.
    11-05-13 07:20 AM
    To prove you're right, why don't you give your Q10 to the OP. It is worthless anyway. Actions speak louder than words.
    I don't have to prove anything to you or the OP. I've already proven something to myself- I actually bought the phone and used it rather than asking people on a fan site what I should do like a child. So sorry you are so offended over my comments about a phone- grow up.

Posted via CB10
    11-05-13 07:30 AM
    I am continually amazed that people ask this question on a BlackBerry fan site. What do you think people are going to say- don't buy it? This site would tell you to buy a BlackBerry if they were exploding in their ears.
    Posted via CB10
    I believe it is the Iphone that explodes! There are more other phone users on this site that Blackberry users,. I came from Motorola and if their is something wrong with my phone I will be the first to say it and very loudly. The Z10 Blackberry browser tests 485 out of 500 with 11 bonus points. Not perfect but the best in the the business first place Blackberry 10
    11-05-13 07:31 AM
    Does the 30 still have low speaker volume on calls or has that been fixed in an update?
    11-05-13 07:33 AM
42 12