I'm fond of technology and right now for me the interest mainly lies in mobile technology. I follow articles daily. I think most of us would agree that there are a lot of RIM/Blackberry bashing in the media these days (some warranted and some not). But if you look around, technology reporting in general seems to be taking a negative tone, unless it's about Apple products.

I came across an article from a Huffington Post "reporter" that began the piece with an insulting analogy of Steve Ballmer's CES keynote. He does give props to MS for their Xbox success but ends that with "a demo last night of new voice-controlled features going into that gizmo drew a healthy share of oohs, as well as vows to go home and get one for the children (even as one had to worry that many of those children -- now served up voice control in place of text -- are destined to be illiterate.)" I'll bet he's never equated future illiteracy with Siri.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not hating on Apple. There are plenty of things that I like about their products as well as Google's, Microsoft's, etc. Bottom line is, I hate blatant fanboyism (including for Blackberry) but especially when it comes to journalism. Report the news like a professional and let the readers/viewers make their own opinion.
    01-12-12 10:15 AM
    i completely agree,

unfortunately an objective report doesn't bring readers.
    01-12-12 10:48 AM
    I don't blame Apple for successfully convincing the public and media that they are cool and better than the rest. Heck, that is the goal of marketing for most if not all tech companies. I do blame the media for mostly sensationalized reporting. The media reports what sells, and that stretches far beyond technology into politics, etc.

RIM is taking a pounding, and while I agree with some of the negativity, it has gotten out of hand in my view. What is happening to RIM right now reminds me of how it was for Microsoft not 10 years ago. Everyone seemed to hate them and reports were mostly negative. People sometimes like to see the leader lose, and I don't get why. It is also why some of you hate Apple.

What I see is iOS / Apple is nearly always cast in a positive light. I would say the same for most Android / Google articles. Windows Phone seems to get a balanced approach with both negative and positive reporting. RIM just seems to get slammed unfairly in the last 6+ months. Not sure how that happens so such an extreme.
    01-12-12 11:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD