So im listening to one of the CB podcasts and i didnt even know that the standby function existed!

I have the 9700. So what is the difference between just locking the device rather than putting it in standby?
    03-30-10 08:41 PM
    In Standby the screen not only goes black but button presses have no effect. So you won't waste battery if you accidentally press a button while the BB is in your pocket.
    03-30-10 10:23 PM
    I use both. If you just lock it, you might inadvertently use up all your password attempts while the phone is in your pocket. Lock it, and use standby, too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 11:12 PM
    The newer versions of 5.0 are combining the lock and mute/standby key functions.

The mute key no longer works for standby. When you hit lock key, it'll basically do what the old standby did, except it keeps the number keys active as well.
    03-30-10 11:49 PM
    The Lock function disables the keyboard so you can't inadvertantly use the keypad while it's in your pocket.

The standby function does the same as keyboard lock but has the added bonus of shutting down a lot of the handsets functions so it only uses a small percentage of the battery, saving a huge amounts of the battery life. You will still receive all emails/sms/phone calls etc...

But as Blackberry Guy says above newer versions of OS5 are combining the 2 into the keyboard lock function.
    03-31-10 02:58 AM
    Anyone done any hard data tests to see if the battery use is significantly different?

03-31-10 03:00 AM
    Anyone done any hard data tests to see if the battery use is significantly different?

Nothing that I know of, but I can't imagine that the battery would be greatly affected one way or the other.

Even if you use keyboard lock, your screen turns off after 30 seconds anyways, which is essentially what standby mode does, only immediately. If you accidentally press a key, and the screen lights up for a small period of time, I don't think that's going to cause a massive drain on your battery.
    03-31-10 07:54 AM
    It does if the key is held down or repeatedly pressed.
    03-31-10 07:57 AM
    I hate the lack of standby. Why take away an option that some liked. RIM should focus on fixing things EVERYONE hates, ie the facebook app

03-31-10 02:24 PM
    Agreed. That's too bad. I don't always want to lock my phone so I have to enter a password just because I'm using standby. ( Of course, my comments in this topic do not apply if the OP is referring to some kind of keyguard and not the phone lock feature.)

03-31-10 04:36 PM
    And I just listened to the latest podcast, and cb founder kevin said he prefers standby...

I'm just sayin

03-31-10 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD