View Poll Results: What GPS do you think is best

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stand Alone Unit

19 43.18%
  • VZ Navigator

8 18.18%
  • Third Party App (Garmin, Tom Tom, ETC...)

17 38.64%
    What would you guys use out of the three? A stand alone unit, VZ navigator or a third party app (garmin, tomtom or whatever)
    03-23-09 01:15 PM
    We have tried all three and greatly prefer our stand-alone Garmin GPS unit over VZ Nav or the Garmin software for the Storm.

The stand alone unit seems to prompt for turns a bit quicker from what we saw and that alone is the reason for the preference.

With regards to accuracy of directions and calculated routes we found any of the above were equally good but we stick with the regular GPS (or GeePuS as my wife calls it)
    03-23-09 01:48 PM
    I'll say stand alone unit for the "best" ... although it is awful nice to be able to pull out my phone and fire up VZNav (I haven't used any third party GPS apps).
    03-23-09 01:53 PM
    Obviously stand alone would work better. But does your GPS surf the web?? Its good enough for those of us that don't want another device.

Tomtom has an app???
    03-23-09 01:54 PM
    Wife has TomTom GPS, daughter has Garmin standalone. I prefer to use my VZ Navigator. I find the turn prompting better and the additional search features superior as well. Besides that I always have the phone with me so it is available in my car or if riding with someone else.
    03-23-09 01:55 PM
    I have a standalone garmin pocket gps unit. It is much better than storms one. Battery lasts a lot longer, it is accurate and proof from the elements, so I am not worried about dropping it in mud or water. I use gps for hiking up in mountains and not driving though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 02:01 PM
    Garmin handheld
    03-23-09 02:29 PM
    I use VZnav. I find it very useable, fast and accurate.
    I especially like the portability which means the vznav features are always with me.
    I also don't have to worry about hiding it when I get out the car.
    I use a vent-mounted holder. I wish it were cheaper though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 02:34 PM
    VZNav FTW!!!!!!!!!
    03-23-09 03:01 PM
    While I voted for stand-alone as the best... I've found it sure is nice to use my storm for things such as... looking up a store, clicking one button to call them to for example find out "store hours" , then clicking another button to pull up a map with the store on it and my own gps location and get directions to the place.
    03-23-09 03:09 PM
    Got my TomTom for around $100.00. Cant beat that. ROI in less than one year!
    03-23-09 03:29 PM
    I am using the third party app Telenav with my storm. I am thinking of switching to VZ Nav. Telenav, although nice to use, It has made some mistakes while I tested it out. It does have a nice feature of marking you location, such as where you parked, anill direct you back to that spot while you are on foot. I don't really know if the other third party, Garmin, Tom Tom, VZ Nav can do that. We will see.
    03-23-09 03:39 PM
    the gps in the storm requires cell phone reception right????
    03-23-09 03:53 PM
    I am using the third party app Telenav with my storm. I am thinking of switching to VZ Nav. Telenav, although nice to use, It has made some mistakes while I tested it out. It does have a nice feature of marking you location, such as where you parked, anill direct you back to that spot while you are on foot. I don't really know if the other third party, Garmin, Tom Tom, VZ Nav can do that. We will see.

I do use and like VZ Navigator but it does not have the parking feature you mention in Telenav. I might sometime use the Telenav trial to compare.

Also, ALL GPS units will make some mistakes. So, that alone is not a reason for a switch. In the last month I have had a mistake both on standalone Garmin and VZ Navigator.
    03-23-09 06:19 PM
    I had a Tom Tom 720 and ended up taking it back because for one, it always saying I was on the next street if I was in a downtown area or apartment complex, and for two, I was always afraid someone would try to break into my car and steal it. I then got a Navigon(dont remember model number, but was a lower end) and the thing worked like a charm and it was only $100, but I did have one problem and that was that while Navigon gives free map updates, they only happen every so often. The other problem was that it took sometimes 20 minutes to find reception. I started using VZ Nav and it is great, minus the really annoying voices that come preloaded and seem to yell at you if you miss a turn. I still use VZ Nav even though I now have it installed in my car through the factory.
    03-23-09 08:10 PM
    VZN is the best hands down. Checks gas prices, movies, and constant updates. VZN is the best!
    03-23-09 08:21 PM
    I have used my Garmin Nuvi 650, Garmin Mobile, and VZ Nav.

Between Nuvi 650 and Mobile, I think both are great and both will get the job done. The downside of mobile is you cant use your phone and also it kills your battery. Other then that, if you don't have a stand-alone, the mobile works well. Both actually did similiar. Both recalculated directions around the same time, neither was faster then the other. Turn-by-turn directions, again, it's a tie, Nuvi might speak sooner then Mobile and vice versa. I would recommend the Nuvi if you are on the road a lot and you need to also be on the phone. But if you rarely use your phone, then go for the Mobile.

As for VZ Nav, it's better in terms of updates but the maps and turn-by-turn directions are slower then Garmin, but not slow enough for you to miss a turn. Re-calculations aren't as fast as Garmin. Again, I would only recommend this if you don't use your phone a lot.
    03-24-09 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD