I am currently on a plan with sprint paying $40 a month for 750minutes
    I called sprint and asked them about adding an additional line and proposed the Blackberry 8330. They gave me a couple of quotes for which I almost fainted. $100 and up for the data plan with some obscene number of minutes

What I am looking for is this: I want to keep the usage to 750minutes, add a line ($10) and not really care about the data plan

Is there a way I can get what I want? Any chance Blackberry will work as a sprint phone without the BIS plan?

If I must take the BIS plan, what is the bare min I can pay to get my phone to work?

thanks.
    03-09-09 06:21 PM
    I see this is you're 1st post so I'll try to be gentle.
    BlackBerry w/O BIS means anything requiring data (internet) will not work. The $100 they gave you gives you unlimited everything.
    03-09-09 06:24 PM
    BlackBerry w/O BIS means anything requiring data (internet) will not work. The $100 they gave you gives you unlimited everything.
    You did very well Lex. I am proud of you.
    03-09-09 06:33 PM
    You can get a 900 blackberry plan. Which means you have 900 minutes. And unlimited everything else for $90 a month. I don't believe sprint will allow you a blackberry without a data. There is no reason to have a blackberry without a data plan IMO. You might as well just get another phone with a qwerty keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-09 06:55 PM
    The Simply Everything plan is actually a good deal when you start comparing it to the rest of Sprint's data plans. Excluding the need for any additional lines that is.
    03-09-09 06:58 PM
    Aside from cricket (blech) I think its really one of the best deals out there. Especially when it comes to smart phones.

03-09-09 07:11 PM
    What is this $100 you are writing about? I bought my 8330 off of Craigslist for $200 (big mistake) so now I am stuck with trying to use it.

I am hoping that the blackberry can be used just for voice or voice plus alacarte data plan (at a lower cost than the $30 they are quoting)
    03-09-09 09:01 PM
    No with sprint I'm pretty sure you are required to have a blackberry plan. If I may ask why did you buy a blackberry if you didn't want a data plan, email, instant messenger, bbm, pin messaging or picture mail?

03-09-09 10:10 PM
    So you already have the Curve 8330? You just need a plan then. If you currently have 750 min. a month, then the Everything 900 would be your best route. 900 minutes + Unlimited everything else for $89.99! Can't beat it. No need to add an additional line. Just switch over your existing line and you'll only be paying another $50 a month. If you can afford it that is.

I know for sure Sprint will not activate a Blackberry without either one of the Simply Everything plans or the stand alone Blackberry plan which I think is $30. If they still have that? But with what they give you, it makes more sense to get it all bundled by going with an Everything plan, and it's cheaper!
    03-10-09 04:57 AM
    You should also give the CS reps a call. I don't know if its just for employees or not, but on the 15th of February sprint introduced a new pricing plan for the BlackBerry. Mine is called the BIS buy-up, and only costs $10/month. I use it with my Fair & Flexible plan and everything is the same as it was when I had the $40 plan, except for the nav add-on which I don't need in my phone.
    03-10-09 09:00 AM
    So you already have the Curve 8330? You just need a plan then. If you currently have 750 min. a month, then the Everything 900 would be your best route. 900 minutes + Unlimited everything else for $89.99! Can't beat it. No need to add an additional line. Just switch over your existing line and you'll only be paying another $50 a month. If you can afford it that is.

I know for sure Sprint will not activate a Blackberry without either one of the Simply Everything plans or the stand alone Blackberry plan which I think is $30. If they still have that? But with what they give you, it makes more sense to get it all bundled by going with an Everything plan, and it's cheaper!
    I have 2 phones currently. One of them is already activated (Treo 700P) on the 750min for $40 plan with no data. My wife uses this phone and service, I am not as I have only the new blackberry and no service. I need service on the blackberry and am looking for the lowest cost alternative (I got laid off recently and lost the work phone I was using so now I need a new service plan). I dont care about the data plan if I can just use the blackberry as a phone for voice only. I hope that clarifies my situation.

This BIS alternative that someone has posted for $10 a month appears good. Now, I need to figure out how much they will increase my cost by..

Current: 750min plan, Treo 700P for $40
    To Be: Similar plan with 2 phones, shared minutes. Treo 700P and Blackberry 8330

I might ditch the blackberry if Sprint does not offer me a low cost alternative to activate the phone. I mean, if I just get another non-data phone, it would only cost me $10 additional to activate the line and share minutes from the original plan. I dont see a point in paying $100 (nearly a 225% increase) just to get Data.

I already called Sprint and spoke to a few reps. They did not mention the BIS plan (for $10 more). They did say that the blackberry add on is about $30 a month and that I have to sign a 2year contract to get an additional line (no way out of this one). They werent clear about total cost as I wasnt sure if on top of the $30 they were going to charge me anything extra to add a line and share minutes from the original 750min plan. I love the current plan I have, I only pay $40 a month minus 20% off through employer discount. I wouldnt want to rock that plan in anyway other than gently tagging on a add on phone (preferably the 8330) at a low cost.

Thanks again for your suggestions, my apologies if I didnt make my situation clear enough early on
    Last edited by rman66; 03-10-09 at 09:28 AM.
    03-10-09 09:23 AM
    It sounds like you need to go back to Sprint and see if the $30 is all inclusive for adding the 8330 as an extra line with data, have them clarify the increase(s). I would doubt it initially and guess that's just the data which is still a good price and then the adding a line would be extra. I could be wrong and it would be interesting to know how ever the charges fall.

Ask if there's any additional discounts that can be deducted from your costs, you might be eligible for something a csr hasn't looked for or seen yet. Depending on your length of service you might have a one time credit and tell them you don't want to pay any activation fees if they attempt to add that on.

You might even want to call retention and try and get your best deal right there instead of through telesales or locally or whatever.
    03-10-09 10:44 AM
    You did very well Lex. I am proud of you.
    As you should be....
    03-10-09 10:50 AM
    Going into more detail did help, as we can now understand why you need to keep you're bill as low as possible. The only thing left I can advise is that when you do call Sprint again, leave out the fact that you've been laid off.

You don't want to lose the discount you're receiving due to someone being crafty enough to remove it since you're no longer with the company you worked for.

I'm not saying this b/c it's Sprint; it could be any carrier- I don't put anything past anyone.

.....I love the current plan I have, I only pay $40 a month minus 20% off through employer discount. I wouldnt want to rock that plan in anyway other than gently tagging on a add on phone (preferably the 8330) at a low cost.

Thanks again for your suggestions, my apologies if I didnt make my situation clear enough early on
    03-10-09 11:04 AM
    It appears I cant use the blackberry 8330 without a data plan, I have already put it up for sale on Craigslist for $200. I will probably just go with a Palm 755P with no data plan and an additional $10 to share minutes from my current plan
    03-10-09 10:54 PM
    Why do you wanT the pda phones?
    If you are going to get a palm w/o a data plan you might as well get a normal phone?

I was going to tell you look on CL for someone with a sprint phone for sale and just trade with them in order to save money

03-11-09 12:21 AM
    I agree.... Owning any kind of smart phone without data is like owning a car with no gasoline...

03-11-09 12:49 AM
    I agree.... Owning any kind of smart phone without data is like owning a car with no gasoline...

I disagree.. Data plan really dont make sense for me as I spend 10hours a day on the PC. The 3hours i am on the road, I dont give a sht about not having a data plan. Then why did I buy the 8330 on craigslist you may ask. Because I was stupid.. because my old work phone which I let go was a blackberry and I thought I could just add a line for $20more and use it for voice only (again, stupid for not calling and finding out first)

In a last ditch effort, I called the retentions dept at Sprint.. and the best deal I could swing is this

They agreed to give me the Blackberry phone for free (after $100 rebate) <- attractive since it saves me $100 if the rebate comes through
    They also agreed to move the free time zone from 7pm to 6pm <- not so great.. but I will take it
    If I have to add a phone, I have to let go of the current plan.. $40 for 750min <- no way jose
    and sign up for their 550 or 700 plan for $59+$20(BIS) or $60 + $20(BIS) respectively. There is a 2year contract. <- yikes!

I declined.

I am going to keep the current plan and just get a pay as you go phone from Tmobile or ATT to cover me for emergengies and sell the 8330.
    Last edited by rman66; 03-11-09 at 08:37 AM.
    03-11-09 08:32 AM
    I disagree.. Data plan really dont make sense for me as I spend 10hours a day on the PC. The 3hours i am on the road, I dont give a sht about not having a data plan. Then why did I buy the 8330 on craigslist you may ask. Because I was stupid.. because my old work phone which I let go was a blackberry and I thought I could just add a line for $20more and use it for voice only (again, stupid for not calling and finding out first)

In a last ditch effort, I called the retentions dept at Sprint.. and the best deal I could swing is this

They agreed to give me the Blackberry phone for free (after $100 rebate) <- attractive since it saves me $100 if the rebate comes through
    They also agreed to move the free time zone from 7pm to 6pm <- not so great.. but I will take it
    If I have to add a phone, I have to let go of the current plan.. $40 for 750min <- no way jose
    and sign up for their 550 or 700 plan for $59+$20(BIS) or $60 + $20(BIS) respectively. There is a 2year contract. <- yikes!

I declined.

I am going to keep the current plan and just get a pay as you go phone from Tmobile or ATT to cover me for emergengies and sell the 8330.
    My point here.... is if you don't need and aren't using your phone for data, why do you need a Smartphone?
    03-11-09 11:59 AM
    My point here.... is if you don't need and aren't using your phone for data, why do you need a Smartphone?
    to look cool... i mean only cool people own bb's
    03-11-09 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD