Engadget Mobile is reporting that Sprint will be launching the Tour with WiFi next year, as part of a larger strategy to require WiFi on all smartphones.

Sprint mandating WiFi on future smartphones, WLAN-lovin' BlackBerry Tour coming next year
    07-09-09 08:27 PM
    Yeah...And I have one and have been telling you all this for about 2 months now.

Sprint originally wanted a 9630+WiFi as the launch device.

However, once Verizon and pretty much the CDMA world announced the Tour, Sprint jumped on board not to be left behind.

Good business decision on Sprints part.

The 9630+WiFi was initially slated for an August/September launch on Sprint, however, with no word other than my best educated guess, I am going to say this winter after the current 9630 runs its route and is down to $149.99 after MIR.

BTW...the one thing that sucks is no UMA support. Not that it was expected, but still...
    07-09-09 09:13 PM
    What exactly is UMA? Ive never had a phone with wifi so im pretty in the dark about the subject
    07-09-09 09:16 PM
    once again, verizon is doing the same, but no one will release the Tour yet again with wifi..if anythign it will be another blackberry of some kind, but not a tour again
    07-09-09 09:19 PM
    Yeah...And I have one and have been telling you all this for about 2 months now.

Sprint originally wanted a 9630+WiFi as the launch device.

However, once Verizon and pretty much the CDMA world announced the Tour, Sprint jumped on board not to be left behind.

Good business decision on Sprints part.

The 9630+WiFi was initially slated for an August/September launch on Sprint, however, with no word other than my best educated guess, I am going to say this winter after the current 9630 runs its route and is down to $149.99 after MIR.

BTW...the one thing that sucks is no UMA support. Not that it was expected, but still...
    take a screen shot of your Tour with WIFI.....If you dont mind
    07-09-09 09:22 PM
    UMA allows you to make calls via your WiFi network when you are out in the boonies and don't have a cell signal.

IE: 8900 has UMA...9000 does not.
    07-09-09 09:22 PM
    take a screen shot of your Tour with WIFI.....If you dont mind
    Will post that soon enough.
    07-09-09 09:24 PM
    Will post that soon enough.
    anyone can post any phone having wifi on. thats extreamly easy to do on any kind of phone. The tour does not have wifi, never have, never did, never will for the time being.
    07-09-09 09:28 PM
    Okay...Sure...You're right...I'm wrong.
    Whatever you wish to believe.
    Feel free to add me on FB ([email protected]) and you can cross reference my history.

BTW, make sure in the request you put your CB SN.
    07-09-09 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD