With Sprint so desperate for customers, you think they'd be normal with adding on a line. But no, they're not. Today, I actually canceled my Verizon contract, and payed, to join a family plan with my Mom on Sprint. I finally got to get a Berry, and I was so excited. When in BestBuy, on the phone the Sprint rep said we had to pay A 200 DOLLAR ACTIVATION FEE. Activation fee, yes, not cancellation, or no contract phone price, but litteraly a 200 dollar Add-A-Line fee. Obviously my Mom said no way, and customer service was supposed to call her back by tonight. They never did. I now don't have a phone, just because Sprint wants us to pay to activate, and a ridiculous price at that. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do now.

EDIT: I've had my Berry for more than a week now, and I'm really happy with it. Both times i called CS after that, they were great.
    Last edited by ilovemileyyy; 02-17-09 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling error
    01-31-09 09:11 PM
    It might have been a security deposit on the line but that seems ridiculous
    01-31-09 09:14 PM
    The only time I have ever heard about this happening is a bad credit history. Could that have been it?
    01-31-09 09:15 PM
    The only time I have ever heard about this happening is a bad credit history. Could that have been it?
    Thats what they told my Mom, but for the EIGHT YEARS she's been with them, she's always payed her bill on time, and all her credit cards are platinum. I know for a fact that her credit is excellent, she owns three busninesses. It's just ridiculous that they would do that.
    01-31-09 09:18 PM
    Sprint is the very reason why I turned to Tmobile. They are the worst ever.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 09:25 PM
    I agree if her credit is golden then she should never need to pay them a fee up front. I have 5 phones on my AT&T account and they have been very good to me, never a hassle just walk in pick one, pay and leave - it should have been the same for your mom. Hopefully she will get it sorted and it was just a "glitch" on their end and you will have your BB soon enough. Good luck.
    01-31-09 09:26 PM
    I agree if her credit is golden then she should never need to pay them a fee up front. I have 5 phones on my AT&T account and they have been very good to me, never a hassle just walk in pick one, pay and leave - it should have been the same for your mom. Hopefully she will get it sorted and it was just a "glitch" on their end and you will have your BB soon enough. Good luck.
    i would love to have at&t, but my mom likes Sprint's service in our area, and the plans are so cheap for her and I to both have Sprint. And I just feel bad nagging my Mom all the time to get my phone done! We've been dealing with canceling Verizon for a week, and now today it was finally time to start with Sprint. Now it'll be a whole new journey of hassling. Hopefully, this will all be done tommorow.
    01-31-09 09:29 PM
    With Sprint so desperate for customers, you think they'd be normal with adding on a line. But no, they're not. Today, I actually canceled my Verizon contract, and payed, to join a family plan with my Mom on Sprint. I finally got to get a Berry, and I was so excited. When in BestBuy, on the phone the Sprint rep said we had to pay A 200 DOLLAR ACTIVATION FEE. Activation fee, yes, not cancellation, or no contract phone price, but litteraly a 200 dollar Add-A-Line fee. Obviously my Mom said no way, and customer service was supposed to call her back by tonight. They never did. I now don't have a phone, just because Sprint wants us to pay to activate, and a ridiculous price at that. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do now.
    Why not start a family plan on Verizon for your mom. I can't remember when VZ ever gave me bad customer service. Their Tech Desk can be tedious, but Customer Service on VZW has always been outstanding with me. Just port your mom's number to your account and select a family plan...with BIS for your Berry.
    01-31-09 09:31 PM
    Why not start a family plan on Verizon for your mom. I can't remember when VZ ever gave me bad customer service. Their Tech Desk can be tedious, but Customer Service on VZW has always been outstanding with me. Just port your mom's number to your account and select a family plan...with BIS for your Berry.
    Oh, no, I just switched from Verizon BECAUSE I wanted a Berry. The data is cheaper on Sprint for the two of us. But thanks so much for the suggestion! And yes, they're customer service is way better.
    01-31-09 09:34 PM
    i would love to have at&t, but my mom likes Sprint's service in our area, and the plans are so cheap for her and I to both have Sprint. And I just feel bad nagging my Mom all the time to get my phone done! We've been dealing with canceling Verizon for a week, and now today it was finally time to start with Sprint. Now it'll be a whole new journey of hassling. Hopefully, this will all be done tommorow.

Something doesnt seem right here. Sprint doesn't have a 200 dollar activation fee for one it's only 35.00 dollars and most of the time you can get them to waive that. I'd go to your local Sprint store and see what they can do. Goodluck!
    01-31-09 09:34 PM
    Sprint CS is the worst. I was a Sprint Customer for 7 years with three lines. My daughter lost her phone. I called CS right away and they disabled her phone. It was found within an hour and they wanted to charge me a fee to reactivate!! Grrrr. Thank God at the time I was out of contract. Switched to VZW...the BEST CS especially if you have kids!

01-31-09 09:35 PM
    Something doesnt seem right here. Sprint doesn't have a 200 dollar activation fee for one it's only 35.00 dollars and most of the time you can get them to waive that. I'd go to your local Sprint store and see what they can do. Goodluck!
    Thats what I thought. They said something about like my Mom originally signing up for a Business plan EIGHT YEARS AGO (that long she's been with them, always payed her bill), and so now, since she wants to add a new line, they're saying when she first signed up, she made an agreement to not add new lines, or something. Just ridiculous crap. I'm so angry with Sprint right now for putting me without a phone. Not meaning to sound superficial, but for a 14 year old to not have a phone for a day or two is just terrible. I need to text people, and all this waiting all week finally for today to get my first BB, and it not happening was such a let down....
    01-31-09 09:39 PM
    Whoa, thats exactly why I left Sprint 5 years ago. I went to Verizon and havent looked back. You might be able to go back, right?
    01-31-09 09:54 PM
    Call sprints retention department. Tell them you are unhappy and are considering cancelling your contract and going someplace else. STRESS your dislike and get them to work with you. I did that and we have four phones (two are BB), unlimited BB service on the BB, 2000 shared minutes,lg rumors have 1k a month texting each etc for about 145.00 per month. Stick to your guns.
    01-31-09 10:00 PM
    Whoa, thats exactly why I left Sprint 5 years ago. I went to Verizon and havent looked back. You might be able to go back, right?
    I might be able to, but don't want to because i really want a BB but Verizon BB plans are to expensive for me..
    01-31-09 10:00 PM
    You should try going into the store and see what kind of deal you can work out.

When I was starting out in med-school, my credit wasn't so good and I wanted a new phone with ATT. They wanted $100 a line to add one, (by phone) so I called Sprint expecting the same. They said it was $95, but the next day I was by a Sprint store so I went in. They only wanted $35... I definitely think this is a credit issue.
    01-31-09 10:03 PM
    You should try going into the store and see what kind of deal you can work out.

When I was starting out in med-school, my credit wasn't so good and I wanted a new phone with ATT. They wanted $100 a line to add one, (by phone) so I called Sprint expecting the same. They said it was $95, but the next day I was by a Sprint store so I went in. They only wanted $35... I definitely think this is a credit issue.
    A credit issue with my Mom's credit, (which is flawless), or on Sprints part?
    01-31-09 10:15 PM
    A credit issue with my Mom's credit, (which is flawless), or on Sprints part?
    No way should you have to do that!? The bill pay is either up to date or you wouldn't have service, unless it isn't and you have something worked out for payment and they don't want to let another phone on the account until your straight. If your mother's been with Sprint for eight years she should tell them she doesn't want to pay activation fees for one thing and that's usually $34 and some change.

With that many years as a customer your mother should be able to take you to the Sprint store and have you pick out a phone and they can bill the account at her request. Worst case the Sprint store tells you you'll have to wait a day for it to come in.

You can also bargain too to get the best price you can, nothings carved in stone with Sprint from my experience with them. If you're going for an 8330 your mother should tell them she wants full discount so you can get it for $99 and then ask them if they can take another $50 off. That might mean a new contract but that's something you'd have to decide about. If you don't have any luck locally try Telesales.

Could be worse though right...your mother could be telling you to wait until you're sixteen to get a phone
    01-31-09 10:49 PM
    I have NEVER had an issue with sprint. What you need to do is stop dealing with bestbuy (wish they would have gone under instead of circuit city) and talk to someone who actually works for sprint.

01-31-09 10:57 PM
    I might be able to, but don't want to because i really want a BB but Verizon BB plans are to expensive for me..

I feel ya there-I recently switched to Sprint for their unlimited everything plan. That's about the only reason that I stay with them. Their customer service is lackluster-basically they do what they can to get me out of their hair. They are behind the times in their technology-we can't get a new BB or MMS to save our lives. I think that if someone else were to offer a competetive unlimited plan (with the phone minutes too), they would seriously give Sprint a run for their money.

That being said, I would definitely steer clear of dealing with Best Buy for your issues. They are just an authorized dealer and really don't car about anything besides getting you to sign up. I have always had pretty good luck with going to the Sprint store, but make sure that you go to the ones that have the repair center there too. They seem to employ more knowledgable people. Best of luck!
    01-31-09 11:15 PM
    He already said his mom likes Sprint.
    02-01-09 12:15 AM
    Sprint was the first cell company I had when I got my first phone, and you couldn't pay me to go back to that horrible company. I went thru phone after phone after phone (not bb) and they couldn't help me fix the fact that my phone wouldn't ring when people called me, and I wouldn't get a message alert for 24 hours after I got a message. I also sat for HOURS on the phone with their terrible customer service dept trying to fix my problems. I even went into the sprint store twice a week for months trying to fix my problems, with no solution. I eventually complained enough that they let me out of my contract without having to pay the fee. I tell everyone that I know to avoid Sprint at all costs. That's just my experience.

02-01-09 12:23 AM
    Yep Horror stories abound on Sprint. My wife and I both had aweful experiences some very recent and my friend also does ANYTHING to avoid dealing with them in any capacity due to their aweful service but sadly his family is on it so it is the best way to get a cheap plan. He may switch soon anyway (I keep tell him to ditch the old school Treo and get a BB). Yeah they are cheaper but just completely not worth it. It's true. You get what you pay for. I'm more than happy with ATT. Their service with their toll free customer service line is awesome and have never done me wrong.
    02-01-09 03:32 AM
    He already said his mom likes Sprint.
    I bet she's not liking them too much right now...

To the OP: You get what you pay for. $200 to add a line is utter crap. Their service isn't going to improve, they just announced a lay-off of 8,000-plus.

A family plan on VZ with two lines and 700 min can be as low as $70~, plus $30 for BIS. If you text msg, then add a package or upgrade to 700 min select ($99).

You can get a Pearl for nothing with VZ now, and Curves are well under $100...
    02-01-09 06:53 AM
    I'm pretty sure the $200 dollar security deposit is maybe cause of your credit, not ur mom's?
    As for the sprint CS horror stories, every carrier has them. The people coming in here telling u sprint sucks and you shold stick with verizon, well, just pure ignorance.
    Last edited by dave_sz; 02-01-09 at 08:01 AM.
    02-01-09 07:59 AM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD